This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good! Glad you arrived and glad you left early. Enjoy your Memphis vacation!

Reactions: W2R
I think running A/C in a Tesla cuts the range as it uses battery power.
I think it does in a car too, but not by too much.
That's what I would think too, but in an ICE car it takes ~5 mins to fill up and get back on the road (not counting any potential hurricane gas lines) :)

I think running A/C in a Tesla cuts the range as it uses battery power.
I think it does in a car too, but not by too much.

Son says the heater is a much larger drain. He says the use of the AC on his Model 3 is barely noticeable under normal driving conditions. Sitting in traffic might be another issue however.

We left at 3:30 this morning, and as soon as we got off I-10 and went up I-55, the traffic was reasonable. It was dark and drizzling and awful. I've never been so exhausted in my life! But we got to West Memphis, Arkansas finally. We are safe and happy and staying in a nice motel here. I'll post more later but right now I haven't slept a minute in 2-3 days and I need to nap, de-stress and settle down. :D.

:dance: :flowers: :greetings10: Yeah!

Heh heh heh - Memphis Ramada near the airport was our first stop after Katrina. Funny how one remembers. :cool: Now - hurry up and wait. ;)
The drill is always the same.

Son says the heater is a much larger drain. He says the use of the AC on his Model 3 is barely noticeable under normal driving conditions. Sitting in traffic might be another issue however.
I remember sitting on the beltway in Houston for hours and hours and hours during the Rita evacuation in the upper 90's heat. AC was running at max all the time. When I gave up and turned around to go home, I hadn't used but about 1/4 tank of gas in my ICE vehicle... I'm just curious how an EV would do in the same conditions.

Last edited:
We left at 3:30 this morning, and as soon as we got off I-10 and went up I-55, the traffic was reasonable. It was dark and drizzling and awful. I've never been so exhausted in my life! But we got to West Memphis, Arkansas finally. We are safe and happy and staying in a nice motel here. I'll post more later but right now I haven't slept a minute in 2-3 days and I need to nap, de-stress and settle down. :D.

So glad you and Frank are safe. Sleep well.

P.s. we once stayed in a very cool RV park along the river in West Memphis.

Any chance it was Tom Sawyer's RV Park? We stayed there once as well.

Sounds good! Glad you arrived and glad you left early. Enjoy your Memphis vacation!
I went to school in Memphis for 3 months in early 1978. Hardly a vacation spot! Of course we were dirt poor and lived in a horrible neighborhood. Funny how things changed.

Stay safe W2R and everyone in this storms way.

Happy to hear you got out and made it to your initial destination. Looks like you should be good there until Monday morning. I would leave soon after sunrise Monday(if not Sunday) to go further north/northwest since Memphis is going to get hit pretty hard by the remnants of Ida. Stay safe.

Did the hotel let you check in at around Noon? That's unusual especially on a Weekend. Lucky you.

Any chance it was Tom Sawyer's RV Park? We stayed there once as well.

Yes, that was it.

This a 2009 photo of the Bill Elmer pushing coal down the Mississippi taken from that RV park.

Attachments

• 4118E1CD-EFEC-461E-AFCA-ABC98DF1DC08.jpeg
    4118E1CD-EFEC-461E-AFCA-ABC98DF1DC08.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I remember sitting on the beltway in Houston for hours and hours and hours during the Rita evacuation in the upper 90's heat. AC was running at max all the time. When I gave up and turned around to go home, I hadn't used but about 1/4 tank of gas in my ICE vehicle... I'm just curious how an EV would do in the same conditions.

It has been reported that AC usage in the Tesla causes a loss of 3 miles of range for each hour of use. Of course this will depend on the temperature, but it appears not bad at all.

So glad W2R is in a safe spot. I was worried about her. I hope all other Forum members in the path of Ida are safe. I am in my cabin in the mountains of NC and keeping an eye on Ida's path to see if I need to leave. We got hit hard last week by Fred, many trees down, power outages and the main road going into Banner Elk, NC collapsed.

It has been reported that AC usage in the Tesla causes a loss of 3 miles of range for each hour of use. Of course this will depend on the temperature, but it appears not bad at all.
My anecdotal test would agree with that. I was going to get my Y repaired last fall but hit a deer shortly after leaving home. I had charged to 100% before I left and didn't want to have it that high in the body shop parking lot. I sat in my living room and ramped the heat all the way up and then down over and over from the app where I could watch the charge too. Heating the cabin took way more energy.

My anecdotal test would agree with that. I was going to get my Y repaired last fall but hit a deer shortly after leaving home. I had charged to 100% before I left and didn't want to have it that high in the body shop parking lot. I sat in my living room and ramped the heat all the way up and then down over and over from the app where I could watch the charge too. Heating the cabin took way more energy.

Why didn't you want it fully charged in the body parking lot ?

Great that you got way W2R, especially as this hurricane seems to have suddenly become a big one.

Do you have a way to know if your house has electricity ?

We can phone home, and if our answering machine comes on, we know the house has power.

I wouldn't risk it, especially after seeing I-45 during hurricane Ike here in Houston. We are one mile from the freeway and it was a sight to see. Some cars were on the freeway for 2 days. They can bring fuel to a gasoline powered car if it runs out, but you can't just bring power in to a EV stuck on the freeway (or one that powered out looking for a charge station) if depletes the battery.
That would not be a concern. If you have to pull over and leave your car there, it will be fine for many days.

Happy you and Frank are safe, W2R. I had confidence y’all would take the right course of action for yourselves. Sleep well. Just hearing of your last 3 days made me tired.

Like everyone else here so glad you and Frank are safe!

Glad you and Frank are safe.
You will have to add this one to your travel expense.:D

They got some killer BBQ in Memphis! And catfish from the river - :)

Why didn't you want it fully charged in the body parking lot ?
Your not supposed to keep them at above 90% charged for extended periods.

Glad you and F made it to your destination. We were out of power for 4 days and it was exhausting. That was a picnic compared to what you’re going through. I can’t imagine the stress. I’ll be praying for your safety and that your wonderful homes are okay.

Did you and F get separate rooms :) Adjoining of course. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom