This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still visiting with relatives in NY. Today's low here is predicted to be 66 degrees—same as the forecast for today's high back in Seattle :LOL:

106 again today. And of course, bone-dry. We're about to go to "stage 4" water restrictions on Monday, the river that provides water for our city has stopped flowing, and we're thinking about a summer escape plan where we can take the critters and where I can continue to work through the summer in a place that's cooler.... and has water.

106 again today. And of course, bone-dry. We're about to go to "stage 4" water restrictions on Monday, the river that provides water for our city has stopped flowing, and we're thinking about a summer escape plan where we can take the critters and where I can continue to work through the summer in a place that's cooler.... and has water.

There's got to be a way to take the water from the people who are being flooded and give it to the people who are bone dry.:confused:

We got out of La Quinta just about the right time - heard it was 89 degrees F there a week ago. At 11PM. Can't handle that - we aren't big on AC at night, more open doors and windows. Back in Oregon now under grey skies, but lovely cool nights for sleeping. Recent news story:

"Summer officially starts Tuesday morning at 10:16 a.m., but we'll be talking about the spring of 2011 for years to come -- or at least until we get more than the one 80-degree day we've had so far this year.
What started out as a moderate La Niña last fall, turned extreme in the winter and then hung on through spring. Out of 117 years of record keeping, Oregon's spring ranked 116th, which means only one year in all that time was wetter, according to statistics gathered by the National Climatic Data Center. Below average temperatures also made it the fifth coolest spring in Oregon on record".

Looks like we got lucky on our timing for buying a snow bird house!

THIS was my least favorite part of living in Texas. At least in New Orleans we get rain once in a while. :(

We have been having record heat, too, but only in the upper 90's and everything is pretty green. Like my neighbors, I haven't ever watered my lawn in the nine years I have lived in this house. It will get a little dry looking at times like this (see photo below), but more green than brown and in a few weeks it will spring back when we get heavy rains.

Supposedly we are having a drought too, but nothing like what Texas is experiencing. It's all relative.

Attachments

• lawn.jpg
    lawn.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
THIS was my least favorite part of living in Texas. At least in New Orleans we get rain once in a while. :(

We have been having record heat, too, but only in the upper 90's and everything is pretty green. Like my neighbors, I haven't ever watered my lawn. It will get a little dry looking at times like this, but more green than brown and in a few weeks it will spring back when we get heavy rains.
Seriously, if we didn't have the critters, I'd probably be talking to my mom about spending a couple months with her in Oregon to get away from this. It's turning into Hell.

Seriously, if we didn't have the critters, I'd probably be talking to my mom about spending a couple months with her in Oregon to get away from this. It's turning into Hell.

We've already made reservations for the mountains of New Mexico. Unfortunately we can't leave until after July 4 - assuming we haven't burned to a crisp before then.

What we need is a tropical depression to form in the Gulf, move up here and dump on us. That happened just about this time last year...and was the last time we really had some decent rain.

We've already made reservations for the mountains of New Mexico. Unfortunately we can't leave until after July 4 - assuming we haven't burned to a crisp before then.

What we need is a tropical depression to form in the Gulf, move up here and dump on us. That happened just about this time last year...and was the last time we really had some decent rain.

I could be mistaken but I think last year you were burning to a crisp with temperatures over 100 for most of June and the beginning of July, if my recollection is correct. It was a long time, anyway. As long as we're wishing, how about a subtropical storm? I seem to have an odd aversion to tropical storms and hurricanes, especially if it should head in my direction... :2funny:

The mountains of New Mexico sound nice and cool.

I could be mistaken but I think last year you were burning to a crisp with temperatures over 100 for most of June and the beginning of July, if my recollection is correct.
Last year we had a wet spring, so we had water. Now, the rainfall we've had in the last 12 months is about 25% of normal, so...

I think it's been 28 days since we've had rain.. At the time of this writing it's 94 degrees. There's a slight chance of rain and cooler temps on Tuesday. We'll see..

The last couple of weeks the temps have been in the high 90's. Only one afternoon did we get a little shower. Next week looks better. After Monday, most days in the low 90's with a chance of afternoon showers. We need some rain bad. All the yards are brown. Might be too late.

WTOK I Weather

The last couple of weeks the temps have been in the high 90's. Only one afternoon did we get a little shower. Next week looks better. After Monday, most days in the low 90's with a chance of afternoon showers. We need some rain bad. All the yards are brown. Might be too late.

Brown yards are the least of our concerns. We are, very literally, concerned about turning on the taps and nothing coming out, or that we'll all have to pay very dearly to have water trucked in on a large scale to meet even scaled back needs, assuming we can get that much contracted to the city. It IS that bad here, folks.

That's awful, Ziggy! On the news here about an hour ago the weather prediction was for an inch or two of rain here in New Orleans on Tuesday or Wednesday. If it really materializes, I'll be thinking of you Texans and hoping the cloud travels over in your direction.

Dawg, I hope your grass doesn't die off. Sounds awful up there, too.

OK, so we get a little hurricane now and then. I guess living in New Orleans has its benefits at times, too. :cool:

Last edited:

One can get too much of a good thing. Forecast is for ~40% chance of rain every day for the next week. Just like last week. Can't go for a bike ride. Bummer. Even now I can see the sky getting darker as the clouds build up.

You can keep the 106 temps though.

1"-2" of rain in Denver today....3"-8" of SNOW in the mountains above 10,000 ft. Back to the high 70's tomorrow. Go figure.

Oof. Maybe the 106 degree heat is just too much for the A/C to keep up with. (?)

It sprinkled a little bit on the way to lunch, though the rain vaporized upon hitting anything.

But now, there is an enormous black storm cloud descending upon us. F. took down his ham radio antenna, and we are hoping for rain. It would be the pits if it just went on past us and dumped the rain somewhere else. Wish I knew a good rain dance. :)

We have 40%-50% chance of rain for a few days, and it's about time.

Let's just say the vents are blowing warm air and the inside temp has gone from 78 to 83 in the last hour or two.
Hey, at least it happened on a "cool" day - only 99 out there!

Don't know how old your system is but when our 12 year old unit went on the fritz last year we opted to replace rather than repair. I can definitely see the drop in our electric bill due to a more efficient unit.

Hey, at least it happened on a "cool" day - only 99 out there!

Don't know how old your system is but when our 12 year old unit went on the fritz last year we opted to replace rather than repair. I can definitely see the drop in our electric bill due to a more efficient unit.
5 years old. We installed it when we moved here in 2006. It's a heat pump, actually.

Since it is relatively new is could be something simple - like a bad capacitor - and you can dodge the bullet on a big repair bill.
Could be. But it feels like it just started blowing cool air again, and the temp has dropped back down to 81. It is due for a servicing anyway, so if the guys we call get back to us we can still do that. At least this makes it less likely to be a compressor needing replacement.

Glad it's working again. Similar situation on our heat pump a couple of years ago and it was a bad contactor block. $200 for the service call and new part.

Glad it's working again. Similar situation on our heat pump a couple of years ago and it was a bad contactor block. $200 for the service call and new part.
Yeah, at this point "intermittent electrical connection problem" has jumped to the top of the list of probable causes. And as I just remarked to my wife, "at least it's more likely to be a $200 problem than a $1200 problem now."

Back down from 83 to 80 in here, on the way back to the usual 78...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom