What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn’t exactly a pet peeve either but I am just annoyed in general by people who are hired to serve other people acting like they are doing us a favor by working and treating us like crap(self-righteous smartasses talking in condescending tones)/bullying us like we’re little children who need to be put in our place.
Were you in our house listening to D/H me recently? This scenario has happened to both of us recently at:
1. Walmart. I do not shop there but had to go cause I thought their water bottle selection was the best (wrong). Went to pharma area thinking they had a good selection (wrong). Asked a simple question. (Bad idea) I walked out with nothing through the emergency door as alarm went off. Did not look back.
2. Walgreens. Is there something about a "Wal" in front of it? In short, confusion, ignorance, lack of knowledge and a big waste of time.
3. Meier grocery store. The employees were trained to make customers feel like idiots. I'm convinced.

Maybe RE makes us irritable when things go wrong.

Maybe RE makes us irritable when things go wrong.

+1

I have noticed a tendency to be overly critical these days. Usually it's about 1st World Problems so they really are no big deal in the Great Scheme of Things. So, I guess my pet peeve is people like me who take life to seriously. :eek:

I HATE automatic phone services. jeez I could have asked my question twenty times over by the time I get through all these prompts.

Endless customer satisfaction surveys. I took the Honda in for state inspection the other day and got the air filters changed since it was already in (yes, I could have done that myself, and yes, they charged too much but I need to blow that dough!).

Anyway, when I paid I got the usual "they might contact you for a survey you must give me all perfect 5's or I haven't done my job blah blah blah." I thought about telling the person that I never respond to such surveys but I figured that would just prolong the conversation. Since then, I've gotten two emails and a voicemail. I think I'll make it a game to see how many times they try to contact me. :)

At least the inspection was free.

Free auto inspections are like asking a barber if you need a haircut. ;)

My 76 year old next door widow drove her 2017 Toyota Avalon to the dealer for a free "inspection" two weeks ago since she got a coupon in the mail. (she's a little OCD, BTW)

She knows nothing about cars except where the ignition switch is. They told her she needed new tires and a few other things. She was surprised since she bought new tires two years ago from Discount Tire. Yes, the tires had about 19K miles on them (Michelin Primacy) and she brought the car home and asked me to look at the tires. She needed tires like she needed a hole in the head. Nothing like dealers trying to take advantage of a little old widow. :facepalm:

Last edited:
It can't be both!

Attachments

• news-Trump.jpg
    news-Trump.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 43
I think that is called 'virtue signaling' these days.

And, yes, the virtual signalers make a great pet peeve.

Oh! I didn't know there was a term for this! I looked it up. Yes, it was exactly that! Self-righteous and morally superior attitude. Thank you for sharing this info!!

Nothing like dealers trying to take advantage of a little old widow. :facepalm:

My mom once went into a dealer to get a free camera (with test drive) and came out with a new car she definitely didn't need.

I HATE automatic phone services. jeez I could have asked my question twenty times over by the time I get through all these prompts.

Very often:

1. Long-winded announcements before you get to the options.

2. No appropriate option (and no "none of the above")

3. Advertisements while on hold that make it impossible to do anything else.​

Better system: you choose the options you need online, and then they call you.

Better system: you choose the options you need online, and then they call you.

They're not just trying to sell you what you want, they're trying to sell you what you don't know you want. :LOL:

It can't be both!

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live commercial skit - which itself was a takeoff of some product I forget (funny I remember the skit better than the original commercial :)):

"It's a floor wax!"
"It's a dessert topping!"
"Wait - it's both!"

I'm sick of the refrigerator manufacturers continually pushing out articles about how if you don't buy their expensive water filters your are risking your health. I just read another one today. They always list how "their" testing has revealed a variety of mysterious health hazards in counterfeit party filters, but they never give any details as to who or what. Wouldn't it be their responsibility to clearly identify an actual health hazard? And they mostly mention 'counterfeit', not third party filters. There is a difference. Counterfeits claim to be a product they are not, and third party just claim to be a cheaper replacement. In fact, I just saw one of the third party filters I have purchased listed for sale on the Sears Marketplace site, for $10 more than the ebay price. I'm fairly sure I'm not buying a counterfeit of a third party filter on ebay! Besides, the really grating part for me is the refrigerator manufacturers could just lower their prices if they really wanted to wipe out the third party filter industry. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm sick of the refrigerator manufacturers continually pushing out articles about how if you don't buy their expensive water filters your are risking your health.
Yep, their proprietary filters are very overpriced. When we bought our GE fridge it came with a blockoff adapter so the ice maker and water dispenser would work without a filter in place. I have a very nice inline filter before the fridge, it has a high capacity and is a lot cheaper than the filters that go inside the fridge--and it frees up more room for food.
Obviously, this isn't a good answer for folks who don't have easy access to the water line going to the fridge.

Great! Thanks for doing that. I, too, don't mind parking away from the stores.

My pet peeve ---> DW will insist on finding the closest parking spot to where we are going. If I missed a closer spot only 40 yards down, she will remind me why I parked too far.

Same here. she runs 3 to 4 miles every single day, but complains if I could have parked two cars closer.

My pet peeve 2 for the day ---> people talking really loud on their cell/smart phone in public places (subway, lunch room, ...).

I'm all with you on that, still recall a distant acquaintance when flip phones were still new, He made it clear to everyone he was on a telephone by being so loud. Big whoop de do!

I didn't mind that the prices of all the seller's items were suspiciously low, that his name was suspicious, that he was based in China, that his ratings and feedback were bad, or that three days after my order he became "no longer a registered user" but now USPS seems to be trying to deliver my package to Warren, MI when I live in NY.

Attachments

• ebay-backpack-order.jpg
    ebay-backpack-order.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 43
Same here. she runs 3 to 4 miles every single day, but complains if I could have parked two cars closer.

As kids we learned that when Dear Old Dad was parking the station wagon at the mall we wouldn't dare touch the door handle until his keys were out of the ignition. If he pulled into a space and then saw a car two spaces nearer pull out, he would almost burn rubber in reverse so as to get the closer space. It's kind of a fond memory now, but at age 8 it could be terrifying to have one foot on the asphalt when the car suddenly lurched backwards! :LOL:

This was going to be for a lactose intolerance thread but it's closed to replies so I'll put it here, the peeve being "too many oranges give me an upset stomach." This prevents me from saving money because the cheaper bagged oranges always have some that are too old.

I always seemed a little more gassy than most people, then 23andMe said I was likely lactose intolerant and it made sense, but I still eat all the dairy I want with no upset stomach (no pain). On a bad day maybe I'll pass wind 6 times in bed but so far there's been nobody with me. Maybe that was on a high fiber day, I'm not sure...

Slightly unfresh oranges are another story. I have to make sure the skin doesn't look even slightly dehydrated or else I get diarrhea at a level I find unacceptable. I know of two others who had this problem. It's hard to identify slightly dried up oranges.

This was going to be for a lactose intolerance thread but it's closed to replies so I'll put it here, the peeve being "too many oranges give me an upset stomach." This prevents me from saving money because the cheaper bagged oranges always have some that are too old.

I always seemed a little more gassy than most people, then 23andMe said I was likely lactose intolerant and it made sense, but I still eat all the dairy I want with no upset stomach (no pain). On a bad day maybe I'll pass wind 6 times in bed but so far there's been nobody with me. Maybe that was on a high fiber day, I'm not sure...

Slightly unfresh oranges are another story. I have to make sure the skin doesn't look even slightly dehydrated or else I get diarrhea at a level I find unacceptable. I know of two others who had this problem. It's hard to identify slightly dried up oranges.

DW was diagnosed with celiac back in 1983 and lives with that diet now. However, at the same time, her ENT said her allergy test showed she was highly allergic to a mold that grows on the skin of oranges, which has the same symptoms you have. She has the same reaction to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom