What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, their proprietary filters are very overpriced. When we bought our GE fridge it came with a blockoff adapter so the ice maker and water dispenser would work without a filter in place. I have a very nice inline filter before the fridge, it has a high capacity and is a lot cheaper than the filters that go inside the fridge--and it frees up more room for food.
Obviously, this isn't a good answer for folks who don't have easy access to the water line going to the fridge.

That's interesting. I will have to check if I can do the same with my Samsung.

This was going to be for a lactose intolerance thread but it's closed to replies so I'll put it here, the peeve being "too many oranges give me an upset stomach." This prevents me from saving money because the cheaper bagged oranges always have some that are too old.

I always seemed a little more gassy than most people, then 23andMe said I was likely lactose intolerant and it made sense, but I still eat all the dairy I want with no upset stomach (no pain). On a bad day maybe I'll pass wind 6 times in bed but so far there's been nobody with me. Maybe that was on a high fiber day, I'm not sure...

Slightly unfresh oranges are another story. I have to make sure the skin doesn't look even slightly dehydrated or else I get diarrhea at a level I find unacceptable. I know of two others who had this problem. It's hard to identify slightly dried up oranges.

My pet peeve is people who over-share.

;)

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live commercial skit - which itself was a takeoff of some product I forget (funny I remember the skit better than the original commercial :)):

"It's a floor wax!"
"It's a dessert topping!"
"Wait - it's both!"

You mean new "Shimmer"?

Companies that can't seem to get 1099 information out on time, as promised.
USAA, you know I'm talking about you!

I got an email yesterday from Fidelity that while most of my information is available now, the rest won't be available until March 6. First time they have been this slow.

I got an email yesterday from Fidelity that while most of my information is available now, the rest won't be available until March 6. First time they have been this slow.
Each year talk about various institutions goes up at this time of year. It's my turn now. Good luck with yours.

This may have been mentioned in the previous 4,700 responses; please forgive me. I just went to Office Depot to purchase ink refills for my cannon copier (which cost about $100 a couple years ago). My machine sends a message saying cyan, magenta, BK black, and some other kind of PGblack, all needed replacing. Yellow was still healthy. Seems the things I print are not too yellow. And bear in mind the machine sent it to me in a text. Unsolicited, via wifi! Total cost was $102.68, more than the cost of a new printer! And the strange thing is we just don't print that much stuff anymore, but this is the second time we have replaced some of these cartridges. I'm gonna have to put a tin can next the printer with a sign reading $1 a page B&W, $2 for color.

Last edited:
This may have been mentioned in the previous 4,700 responses; please forgive me. I just went to Office Depot to purchase ink refills for my cannon copier (which cost about $100 a couple years ago). My machine sends a message saying cyan, magenta, BK black, and some other kind of PGblack, all needed replacing. Yellow was still healthy. Seems the things I print are not too yellow. And bear in mind the machine sent it to me in a text. Unsolicited, via wifi! Total cost was $102.68, more than the cost of a new printer! And the strange thing is we just don't print that much stuff anymore, but this is the second time we have replaced some of these cartridges. I'm gonna have to put a tin can next the printer with a sign reading $1 a page B&W, $2 for color.

I get my Canon toner from 4inkjets...way, way cheaper. IIRC, about $40 or so for high yield carts. If you insist on Canon product, get the high yield one, much, much cheaper than the regular yield.

Many years ago there was a very inexpensive ink jet printer you could get for like $29. Then, on eBay, you could buy them (the printer) all day for 0.99 cents.... but without the ink cartridge. Why? Because the ink cartridge cost $40. So people would buy a new printer, take it's cartridge, and either throw away the printer, or sell it for a buck.

It's a racket, but what is well known in business circles... you sell a printer once, but you can sell ink as long as the owner is using it.

I have a color printer and periodically have to print a color installation manual for some vintage automotive wiring harnesses that I make. I have a love/hate relationship with this printer (plus all the head alignment/head cleaning maintenance tasks I have to do). Always seems I am <10 pages away from printing like 25-30 manuals, and some stupid cartridge runs out....

It's a racket, but what is well known in business circles... you sell a printer once, but you can sell ink as long as the owner is using it.

The famous "razor and blades" business model invented by King C. Gillette. A genius, he was.

My peeve for yesterday. My wife is a naturalized citizen. 35 years ago when she got her certificate she Laminated it. We are getting passports, the post office rejected it because it was laminated. The cost for a replacement is $555.
We talked to other people that got passports with a laminated passport, so we are going to try again today.

I find laser printers at thrift stores for like $20. I get toner cartridges off eBay. Ink jets always dry out clogging the heads if i don't use them enough.

My peeve for yesterday. My wife is a naturalized citizen. 35 years ago when she got her certificate she Laminated it. We are getting passports, the post office rejected it because it was laminated. The cost for a replacement is $555.
We talked to other people that got passports with a laminated passport, so we are going to try again today.

$555!!!!!!!!!

Is that directly through the Feds? Or one of those helpful companies that charges a fee to do the work for you?

$555!!!!!!!!!

Is that directly through the Feds? Or one of those helpful companies that charges a fee to do the work for you?

US Citizenship and Immigration Services- USCIS

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/lost_stolen_certificate
First page, front and center $555 form filing fees.
We went to another post office and made the application today.
We talked to two people that said they got theirs even though

the had it laminated. Again the postal clerk said they may not accept this,
but they probably will. Do you want to try it?
So we did, If it doesn't go through then I expect to pay for a expedited passport. Hoping for the best, 6 to 8 weeks and we will know.
I did look into trying to remove the lamination.

That would be a very last resort though.

Product packaging has been shrinking for years now, for example: ice cream, mayonnaise, peanut butter, etc. I wonder if they think it can shrink forever; eventually it disappears, right?

Anyway, today I opened a tube of toothpaste DW bought a week or so ago. I noticed the tube was shorter but the box it came in was the same length as the old tube. Reading the labels I saw that the size went from 6 oz. to 4 oz., a reduction of 33% which I would never notice if I didn't read the fine print and recall that the net weight of the previous package I bought months ago was larger.

I had catalogs for all kinds of small parts (rivets, screws, switches, etc.) for over 20 years and just threw them away last week. Today I needed a small metal cap for a hole and found something perfect in my small parts cabinet. A bag of tiny hole plugs with heads of about 2mm. I don't know whether I bought them 25 years ago or my grandmother bought them 55 years ago but I can't find that size anywhere on the internet. I'm going to keep looking though because they're perfect and I may need more.

I had catalogs for all kinds of small parts (rivets, screws, switches, etc.) for over 20 years and just threw them away last week. Today I needed a small metal cap for a hole and found something perfect in my small parts cabinet. A bag of tiny hole plugs with heads of about 2mm. I don't know whether I bought them 25 years ago or my grandmother bought them 55 years ago but I can't find that size anywhere on the internet. I'm going to keep looking though because they're perfect and I may need more.

I have a 2001 Mcmaster-Carr Catalog, 3317 pages of all kinds of hardware.
It's all on the internet now, but there is nothing like being able to thumb through the catalog for an idea of what is made. I will never throw it away.
I sold a book years ago for $10, I have missed it many times sense then. The 1757 page book called Audio Cyclopedia, it is a compendium of audio, including a lot of early stuff that Bell Labs did. I learned a lot from it.

I just checked and see one for sale for $130, or $250 for one in good condition.

I don't know why I never had a McMaster Carr catalog but ordered from them recently and I still have some other thick old catalogs.

And I found what I was looking for on Etsy under the heading "300pcs Metal studs, 2mm Prong studs, Rivets studs, Metal Nailheads Studs, Handbag studs, Leather studs." They plug the end of my little tubes perfectly. I just have to glue them in.

OK, this is not a huge world problem, but it IS a peeve. Why do all (99%) of the ads in magazines, for restaurants insist on showing a plate of food, with 3 or 4 different food items ** piled one on top of the other.** Big blob of mashed potatoes. On top of the mashed potatoes is a hamburger. On top of the hamburger is a few green beans. Are we supposed to be wowed by the originality and creativity involved? Especially when there is zero originality since every other ad looks the same? Different food items, but still piled on top of one another. Blechhhh! .... Rant over, on to solving bigger problems, lol.

DH decided to join a political lobbying organization. He made a donation and paid with PayPal. But the PayPal account has my name on it and today the membership card came and it’s in my name!

I never put my name on anything political and I never allow myself to be assigned to any party. And now this group has ME as a paying member!

I’ve contacted the member services department and told them this MUST BE CHANGED. In the meantime, I feel like I have an ugly label on my back.

It’s not that I disagree with this group. It’s that I’m a private person and I’m careful about where my name is used. I won’t even give a review on an Amazon purchase because I don’t like my name out in public.

Arrrrrhhhh!

DH decided to join a political lobbying organization. He made a donation and paid with PayPal. But the PayPal account has my name on it and today the membership card came and it’s in my name!

I never put my name on anything political and I never allow myself to be assigned to any party. And now this group has ME as a paying member!

I’ve contacted the member services department and told them this MUST BE CHANGED. In the meantime, I feel like I have an ugly label on my back.

It’s not that I disagree with this group. It’s that I’m a private person and I’m careful about where my name is used. I won’t even give a review on an Amazon purchase because I don’t like my name out in public.

Arrrrrhhhh!

Get ready for the constant deluge of political solicitations. :LOL:

Late DW after three years still gets a bunch of them weekly. Plus all the sob stories of poor children.

How come all these danged poor countries and people never run of children? Seems poor children are the ultimate renewable resource.:mad:

Oh, that reminds me. It's almost time to make my $2 cash contribution to that political party's candidate in a BIL's name that he loathes, despises, detests, etc., thus ensuring that he's flooded with solicitations until next November.>:D

Product packaging has been shrinking for years now...

Similar subject but another pet peeve. I ordered some watch batteries for DW's vivofit3... the product was 5 batteries in packaging that was 2" wide, 5 1/2" long and 1/8" thick... pretty small.

They sent it in a cardboard box that was ~6"x6"x10" rather than in a padded envelope.:facepalm:

Yup, I will put them in the pile with the Medicare mail. I just turned 65 and DH turns 65 in April. We’ve been very popular!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom