What was/is your occupation?

Haven't had a whole lot of different occupations but stayed in most for a number of years. Enjoyed them all except the paperboy gig.

12...paperboy
13-17...made plaster statues
18-22...worked summers in parts warehouse at Cat tractor dealership
22-51...cable television/sports television business
51...fire'd!

Dishwasher (High School)
Dishwasher (Ramada Inn)
Car wash operator (just bigger things to wash)
Pumped Gas
Summer Teen City worker (Cut grass, painted curbs, and any other unskilled job they could find)
Joined USAF (Jet Engine Mech, Jet Engine Instructor, Flight Engineer, Filight Engineer Instructor/Evaluator) (Retired after 20 years)
Computer Tech
Help Desk Manager
Director of IT (Present)

Been a member a few years, but I come and go....

12 - paperboy
16 - dishwasher
18 - variety of retail jobs, sales clerk, etc.
20 - auto mechanic
Started with current company at age 28
28 - diesel mechanic (obtained Bachelors degree in Engineering at night)
32 - corporate finance analyst
36 - corporate finance manager (obtained MBA in Finance at night)
44 - corporate finance director (Commercial Credit, L/Cs, payment terms, creditworthiness analysis, credit limits, manage $2.5B accounts receivable on the front end...but don't handle collections...just terms of sale to gain the sale)

currently 49

tentative plans to FIRE sometime in the next 12-24 months

Hobbies:
* woodworking
* auto enthusiast (I have '60s era musclecar fully restored and a 750 HP modern musclecar)
* personal finance (may lead to a part-time role in rehirement!)
* travel (didn't see the ocean until I was 24...so now I'm making up for it!)
* avid NFL fan (Oakland Raiders)

paperboy
cashier
usher
airman
trunk assignor
student
R&D engineer
production engineer
commodity manager
IT Planning Mgr
Director Corporate Sourcing
Retired
Board Member
Consultant
Business Development Manager
Retired
Business Owner
Contract Manager
Retire again next year (permanently)

Career followed the bell curve:LOL:

Last edited:
Junior high
Fast food
Garden center

Pre-college
Greeting card sales
Cosmetics manager
Accounts payable processor
Dog groomer
Dog grooming shop owner/operator

Post-college
Accountant
Systems analyst
Data Center operations manager
Corporate Accounting manager

Auto detailer (worked at parents shop)
Forestry Aide
Forest Engineer
Logging Supervisor
Accounting/MIS (this was way before the fancy new computer titles)
Timber Accountant
Accounting Manager
Controller
Deputy Treasurer
Investment Officer (last two are same position, just had a title addition).
Next: hopefully retired in 2014.

There was an undergraduate degree and MBA degree mixed in the above.

grease monkey
cotton warehouse laborer
farm hand
tire builder
tire factory janitor
US Naval Officer (nuclear propulsion)
reactor engineer (commercial nuclear power)
Senior Licensed Operator (commercial nuclear power)
Control Room Supervisor (commercial nuclear power)
Shift Manager (commercial nuclear power)
Operations Manager (commercial nuclear power)
Design Engineering Manager (commercial nuclear power)
consultant to UK corp (commercial nuclear power)
senior manager in new nuclear plant development
retired

My latest job is being the only female in the United States (and possibly the entire North American continent) who samples and tests uranium hexafluoride.

I am now a volunteer kitchen prep person, table busgirl, fresh table setting expert, and glorified go-fer :cool: for the waitresses and bartenders at a local ethnic club that is trying to get its financial head above water. Past officers took more out than they put in. Current officers are in pure salvage mode.

I spent 6 hours yesterday getting a heck of a physical w*rkout and a wonderful feeling of goodwill. :D

Former Engineers can do restaurant w*rk. I already see some process improvement areas, but will discuss my ideas 1-on-1 with the head cook and club president first. I see several ways to help the food staffers save steps, both in process and by foot, and be able to w*rk more safely.

Never really worked until the graduation from college, it was common where I grew up. I tip my hat to those here who did quite a few stints during their teen years.

- Trainee at a a large Consumer Electronics manufacturer
- Telecommunication Engineer
- Technical Sales and Marketing jobs, including 3.5 years expat assignement in Japan
- Considered FIREing when laid off, but did not adapt
- Back in a Marketing position at another multinational Electronic Manaufacturing company. Enjoying it but contemplating retiring in 5 years, this time for good.

I am now a volunteer kitchen prep person, table busgirl, fresh table setting expert, and glorified go-fer :cool: for the waitresses and bartenders at a local ethnic club that is trying to get its financial head above water. Past officers took more out than they put in. Current officers are in pure salvage mode.

I spent 6 hours yesterday getting a heck of a physical w*rkout and a wonderful feeling of goodwill. :D

Former Engineers can do restaurant w*rk. I already see some process improvement areas, but will discuss my ideas 1-on-1 with the head cook and club president first. I see several ways to help the food staffers save steps, both in process and by foot, and be able to w*rk more safely.

Reading this made me wonder about something. Did anyone here FIRE from the restaurant industry? I have many friends that have said theyd like to open a restaurant or a bar after retiring from their career jobs. I've always thought that was a very physically and mentally demanding and non-financially rewarding field. And the few who end up owning a successful establishment never seem the type to FIRE. I've heard a number of forum members talk about their old jobs, but I don't remember any whose main career was bar or restaurant related.

Reading this made me wonder about something. Did anyone here FIRE from the restaurant industry? I have many friends that have said theyd like to open a restaurant or a bar after retiring from their career jobs. I've always thought that was a very physically and mentally demanding and non-financially rewarding field. And the few who end up owning a successful establishment never seem the type to FIRE. I've heard a number of forum members talk about their old jobs, but I don't remember any whose main career was bar or restaurant related.
If I recall correctly, the Kaderli's were in the restaurant business.

Dish Washer
Ditch Digger
Sailor (9 years Nuc Subs)
Power Plant operator
Maintenance Tech
Engineer
Maintenace Supervisor
IT Manager
Maintenance Manager
Project Manger

and finally

IT Security Analyst - Yes a demotion, but I wouldn't go back. I actually like and enjoy what I do.

About 8 years away form professional bum!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In ER since jan 1, 1993. I am working hard at forgetting what I did - let alone spelling it.

:D

heh heh heh - my favorite hobby by far is 'doing nothing in particular.' Someday I expect to achieve professional status. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:.

ice cream stand
chambermaid
waitress
camp counselor
nurses aide
registered nurse
head psychiatric nurse (maybe I was the crazy one)
stay at home mom
psychiatric nurse
insurance company nurse
retired
job coach with developmentally disabled children- take call occasionally as DH is not well so I need to keep my hand in the job market just in case.

Simulator Technician
Engineer
Engineer Manager
Software Entrepreneur
Software Entrepreneur v2.0

Paper Boy
Grocery Stock Clerk
Lab Assistant
Navy Nuke Electrician
Nuke Plant Operations, PEO, RO, SRO, SM
Watch Engineer - Municipal Utility
Senior System Ops Supervisor - Transmission Ops
Soon to be retiree & Grandpa:dance:

Paper Boy
Grocery Stock Clerk
Lab Assistant
Navy Nuke Electrician
Nuke Plant Operations, PEO, RO, SRO, SM
Watch Engineer - Municipal Utility
Senior System Ops Supervisor - Transmission Ops
Soon to be retiree & Grandpa:dance:

Always good to have another Nuke on the board.

Papergirl
Babysitter
Carhop
Glass washer in a bar
Gas station attendant
Keycard puncher
AVSCOM assistant
Calculus tutor
Library assistant
Rocket engineer (atlas, centaur)
Nuke power plant construction engineer (PWR)
Mom
Grad student, ME, research
Tribologist
University Prof
Professor Emerita:dance:

Back
Top Bottom