What you consider *superior* products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic erasers.... have no idea how they work but they are amazing.

Are there specific ones you like or don't like. Seems the last time I saw these in the store, there were a bunch of variations. I got analysis paralysis, and bought none of them!

-ERD50

I agree on the Apple products as I have iPads, the mini, iPhones and an iMac. All excellent products that are worth the price and function beautifully. Also, I will pay a little extra for the heavier proof bourbons. Unfortunately some of my favorite releases from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) have been priced out of my comfort zone due to the current millennial obsession with bourbon. I can no longer find George T Stagg or William LaRue Weller at my liquor stores and they're also extremely difficult to find in Chicago.

I agree on the Apple products as I have iPads, the mini, iPhones and an iMac. All excellent products that are worth the price and function beautifully. Also, I will pay a little extra for the heavier proof bourbons. Unfortunately some of my favorite releases from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) have been priced out of my comfort zone due to the current millennial obsession with bourbon. I can no longer find George T Stagg or William LaRue Weller at my liquor stores and they're also extremely difficult to find in Chicago.
+1 in iPads. I have had 3 of them so far. (One got aged out, One broke (I dropped it and the glass shattered and damaged the switch), and I am now on iPad mini 2 - I bought Otter Defender case for this so I won't break this one.. It makes the iPad so heavy though so I don't recommend the case.)

I just use the original. They aren't expensive, so why not start there:

Amazon.com: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Original, 4 Count: Home & Kitchen

Dollartree sells a spray bottle cleaner called Awesome and it IS awesome for cleaning marks, dirt, etc on walls and counter tops. An acquaintance let me borrow hers when I told her I got a lot of marks on the walls (bike tire marks) and I since bought one myself and use it to clean dirt/food particles/marks on walls and counters. Best $ I've spent IMHO.

Kindle Voyage

I've been using it for about a year and have read at least two dozen books on it to date. I usually have five or six going at once.

The size and weight are perfect, even for holding for a long time, the lighting and battery life are great, and there really isn't anything I would change about it. I upgraded to the Voyage from the original Kindle, and there is no comparison between them.

I also got the Origami cover for the Voyage, which I would also give five out of five stars (except for the price, but I'm still very glad I got it).

Dollartree sells a spray bottle cleaner called Awesome and it IS awesome for cleaning marks, dirt, etc on walls and counter tops. An acquaintance let me borrow hers when I told her I got a lot of marks on the walls (bike tire marks) and I since bought one myself and use it to clean dirt/food particles/marks on walls and counters. Best $ I've spent IMHO.

We just started using it on tje advice of a friend. Works great. In fact a bit too well. I suggest having one bottle full strength and a bottle diluted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Are there specific ones you like or don't like. Seems the last time I saw these in the store, there were a bunch of variations. I got analysis paralysis, and bought none of them!

-ERD50

I either get the mr clean ones ( the original I think ) or the generic ones at Home Depot - the Home Depot ones don't last as long but they are cheaper and do the trick for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I just wanted to thank the Instant Pot contributors on this thread. I took several ideas down from the smart folks here, and asked for an Instant Pot for Christmas. It has relegated my Crock Pot to the back of the kitchen cabinet, and I have used it five times (roast beef stew, chili, pulled pork, 15-bean soup, and pulled pork again) in about four weeks. Love. It.

I especially love the ability to brown something on the saute function, drain it, then just use the same pot again to cook. Much easier prep and cleanup for soups, stews, and pulled pork-type dishes. I've yet to experiment with cooking pork chops or a whole chicken, but suspect that's not far off. Definitely a great gift or investment for the kitchen!

Thanks guys!

Maybe I should post this in the bathroom remodeling thread -

Clean with Tile & Grout spray cleaner from Home Depot first, then use this - the Miracle Grout Pen - on the grout to make it white again. These things are found in the tile aisle at Home Depot.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 19
I just wanted to thank the Instant Pot contributors on this thread.

I was just considering making a similar post. Another new Instant Pot owner here, and after a few weeks of using it I absolutely love it. Got rid of my very lightly used slow cooker to make shelf space, and the new owner of that is also delighted with it.

I had never before been interested in a pressure cooker because my only experience was the grey, bland stuff that came out of one when I was a kid. Although I was aware that my mom was probably the world's worst cook, I never put the two together.

Now being able to have a great soup or stew an hour after thinking about making it is just a delight.

So glad to hear people are pressure-cooking! (I am an Emeril pressure cooker owner.) I should probably donate our slow cooker (and the rice cooker) since we don't use either of them anymore. BTW, here is Indian Chicken and Rice recipe from hip pressure cooking - It is incredible - Evidently this is the #1 recipe on hip pressure cooking site. We make this at least once a month at my DH's request.

PERFECT Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice | hip pressure cooking

I have made her pork chop with cabbage recipe too (twice) and it is pretty good, but if you do not like cabbage, well, you won't like it (My DH won't touch it.)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. I'll give it a whack! Have only done one pot meals really thus far, but want to branch out and do stuff like chicken and chops in the instant pot.

Cassens & Plath sextants. Excellent quality, the best still made. And the company provides outstanding aftersales support.

Barbour jackets. Classic styling and very long lasting. They can be shipped back to the company for any necessary repairs or periodic reproofing (although the latter is easily done at home with the tins of wax they sell).

Times Ironman watches. Inexpensive, reliable, hard wearing, simple to operate, has all necessary functions but no gimmicks.

Rolex watches: the plain versions go with every activity and dress. Buy one and except for periodic servicing that's your 'nice' watch sorted for the rest of your life.

Kirkland products: pretty much all of them have been good in my experience. Costco's purchasing department has its act together. :flowers:

Gray Tools hand tools. Some of the ancillary products are imported but the core hardline tools (wrenches, sockets, chisels, etc.) are still made in Canada. High quality, last forever, no nonsense warranty.

Last edited:
I am now on iPad mini 2 - I bought Otter Defender case for this so I won't break this one.. It makes the iPad so heavy though so I don't recommend the case.
i have a Pelican case for my iPad Mini 2, and recommend it. It is rather pricey, and a bit annoyingly makes it difficult/impossible to access the volume control; but provides superb protection against physical damage: exactly what I was looking for. I've had it installed for about a year now, and am really pleased.

Wiha Tools Screwdrivers. Pricier than other brands but pretty long lasting and doesn't strip screw heads.

I complained about wear in the heel of my smartwool socks (after a year or two of use), and I was offered a new pair. Unfortunately, Lena had already darned the holes.

When someone asks what I want for a present, I say SmartWool socks, because I like them but can't quite justify the high cost.

Have you tried darn tough? I switched from smart wool because they would wear out. The darn tough socks have lasted much longer and have a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So glad to hear people are pressure-cooking! (I am an Emeril pressure cooker owner.) I should probably donate our slow cooker (and the rice cooker) since we don't use either of them anymore. BTW, here is Indian Chicken and Rice recipe from hip pressure cooking - It is incredible - Evidently this is the #1 recipe on hip pressure cooking site. We make this at least once a month at my DH's request.

PERFECT Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice | hip pressure cooking

I have made her pork chop with cabbage recipe too (twice) and it is pretty good, but if you do not like cabbage, well, you won't like it (My DH won't touch it.)

Just made this last night, but with brown instead of basmati rice. I like it! Wife wasn't a big fan, but admitted she wasn't terribly hungry and the rice didn't come out as well as in the rice cooker. It was the first time I've done rice in the pressure cooker, and I followed the cooker's direction (22 min manual on high pressure). Needed a little bit longer... I just had some leftovers for lunch, and I like!

Just made this last night, but with brown instead of basmati rice. I like it! Wife wasn't a big fan, but admitted she wasn't terribly hungry and the rice didn't come out as well as in the rice cooker. It was the first time I've done rice in the pressure cooker, and I followed the cooker's direction (22 min manual on high pressure). Needed a little bit longer... I just had some leftovers for lunch, and I like!
Good to hear - I've never done it with brown basmati rice either, so I wouldn't know how much water to put in for it, but it's good that at least you (out of you and your wife) liked it. I am eating basmati rice pretty much exclusively now after having found out the glycemic load is quite low compared to the rice I was raised eating (short grain). I should try brown basmati rice sometime since it's more nutritious.

Have you tried darn tough? I switched from smart wool because they would wear out. The darn tough socks have lasted much longer and have a lifetime warranty....

+1 They don't call them Darn Tough Socks for nothing. We get them when they have the factory sale in Northfield each November.

My Sanyo counter-top microwave oven died yesterday.
The manufacture date on it is 1986 and I'm pretty sure it was the first (and only) microwave I ever bought. I used it quite a bit, so I'd definitely say that was a superior product!

My Sanyo counter-top microwave oven died yesterday.
The manufacture date on it is 1986 and I'm pretty sure it was the first (and only) microwave I ever bought. I used it quite a bit, so I'd definitely say that was a superior product!

Sanyo, a name out of the distant past. I installed an under-dash tape deck from Sanyo in my 1970 Ford when I was just out of college.

Wikipedia says Panasonic bought Sanyo in 2009 after an earthquake damaged their semiconductor plant and nearly put them out of business in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom