Which retro auto model would you like to see reintroduced?

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
Well, we've had the Mustang, the Dodge muscle cars, the Camaro revised and re-introduced, as well as the Morris Mini and the Fiat 500. Are there others that automakers should be looking at?

My nominees:
Datsun 240Z: I think Nissan could make a great, fun car by re-introducing a 240Z. And I think it would sell. Modern tech would allow them to make an "econo" version that is simple, sporty, and gets good mileage (a competitor in the Miata's market), and they could offer a pocket rocket with lots of power that would turn some heads at the track. While my heart cries out for an updated Jaguar XKE, Jag has mucked this up a few times already, and I don't think the company, today, could pull off a mass-market car properly.

VW Bus: This would be a tough one--especially meeting crash standards. But it could offer a lot of utility (lots of space inside. Camper, flatbed, and "commercial utility van" versions, just like the original, etc) and avoid the market stigma attached to minivans.

Ford Ranchero, Chevy El Camino revisit: Might sell some units, especially if an "extended cab" version could be worked out (the bed just has to be long enough to carry 4'x8' sheet goods with the tailgate down). Low frontal area and reduced weight would allow better mileage than trucks get. Not everyone who needs an open bed also needs a lot of ground clearance and a 2000 pound payload (and the bulk, weight, handling and gas mileage compromises that come with it). Offer a model with enough weight and power to tow a 3000 lb trailer and a lot of folks would be very happy. There aren't many true small trucks to choose from anymore, so a sedan/truck like this might be coming at just the right time.

Last edited:
Delorean.
DW would buy one in a heartbeat.
delorean-ev-main.jpg

Honda Element - I liked the funky plastic panels, the length which was shorter than a civic, the amount of stuff it could carry, the seats that could be 'hung' off the sides w/ carabiners & that it could easily fit our segway! We ended up getting an IS300 sportcross, but I still think about that car.

MR2 - I miss that little car even though it was impractical!

Honda Element - I liked the funky plastic panels, the length which was shorter than a civic, the amount of stuff it could carry, the seats that could be 'hung' off the sides w/ carabiners & that it could easily fit our segway! We ended up getting an IS300 sportcross, but I still think about that car.
I was surprised when Honda dropped the Element. It was pretty cool and definitely utilitarian. We almost bought one during the last model year. The ride was a bit stiff for DW, so we passed.

A 1971 VW Beetle (the car I learned to drive on) because if you ever accidentally drove into a river, who wouldn't want a car that floats?

When I was in college, I dated a guy whose Dad refurbished a '70 or '71 VW Beetle for him. We were headed somewhere and I can remember coming to a flooded section of road. He rolled up the windows, turned on the heater (it was Spring or Summer) and we rolled through the water. It was over the little running boards but no water came in.

The big Healy, updated mechanically. Vincent motorcycles, warts and all.

Well, we've had the Mustang, the Dodge muscle cars, the Camaro revised and re-introduced, as well as the Morris Mini and the Fiat 500. Are there others that automakers should be looking at?

My nominees:
Datsun 240Z: I think Nissan could make a great, fun car by re-introducing a 240Z. And I think it would sell. Modern tech would allow them to make an "econo" version that is simple, sporty, and gets good mileage (a competitor in the Miata's market), and they could offer a pocket rocket with lots of power that would turn some heads at the track. While my heart cries out for an updated Jaguar XKE, Jag has mucked this up a few times already, and I don't think the company, today, could pull off a mass-market car properly.

VW Bus: This would be a tough one--especially meeting crash standards. But it could offer a lot of utility (lots of space inside. Camper, flatbed, and "commercial utility van" versions, just like the original, etc) and avoid the market stigma attached to minivans.

The 370Z came out in 2009 so it could be replaced any time now. Replacing it with a 240Z with a 4cyl turbo sounds like a good idea to me.

The VW Bus probably wouldn't work because it would cost a fortune today. It would have a very different customer base than the original.

More practical than nostalgic, I would bring back the small wagon body style once offered by the import majors - Toyota Corolla & Camry, Honda Civic & Accord, Nissan Sentra and a couple others. Keep the mechanical/safety improvements, ditch the superfluous electronics and mandated auto trans. Add a small pickup or two. :)

1958 or 9 Plymouth Fury....or how about 1963 4 door Dodge Coronet 440?

That Dodge was one UGLY car!!!! But it was my first car, I bought for $100 in about 1978. It was red. It had a push button transmission. The passenger fender was red, but turned out it was repaired with Sacramento tomato juice cans and bondo!!!!

My sister drove it on I84 in Orange County NY and wasnt ready for how powerful it was....she drove it down into the grassy median at about 55 and then right back up and out back onto the road!!!!

My boyfriend borrowed it one night and slid off the icy road and hit a pole...no injuries, but that's how we discovered the tomato juice cans!

I ran that thing for about 2 years.

Though today's models are boringly similar across makes, no car from the past leaps out at me as a very interesting reintro. Shrug, maybe one of the Pontiac GTOs.

More practical than nostalgic, I would bring back the small wagon body style once offered by the import majors - Toyota Corolla & Camry, Honda Civic & Accord, Nissan Sentra and a couple others.
+1. No heart-pounding excitement, but the Camry wagon et al were dang practical little cars.

Chevrolet 2500 Suburban. Can comfortably pull a large horse trailer (with 2 big horses and all the stuff), carry four of us and all our stuff, and is rugged as hell. Much better than a P/U and more capacity than the 1500's that are currently offered.

I was surprised when Honda dropped the Element. It was pretty cool and definitely utilitarian. We almost bought one during the last model year. The ride was a bit stiff for DW, so we passed.

We sold ours (2009) a couple of years ago, even though our remaining two cars are significantly older. It was OK, but severely underpowered for any kind of real utility use. Marketed for kids on the go, but owned mostly by middle aged women because it was cute. I wasn't in the least surprised when they dropped it. Especially since it was competing within Honda with the CRV, which has a much higher profit margin.

Not exactly the VW bus you had mind, here is a pic I sent my son from Japan a couple years ago, maybe a 2/3 size model? He was wondering what would be available when he moved. A couple pics, one for size reference.

Attachments

• VW bus.JPG
    VW bus.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Cars.JPG
    Cars.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Modern tri-five Chevy would sell good.

The problem with any retro styled vehicle is having it pass crash and pedestrian impact rules, while still being enough retro.

My favorite so far is the Challenger, Camero second. I hear they are discontinuing the Challenger in favor of the Road Runner.

This would be my list:

Javelin
Chevelle SS
GTO

I had a number of these back in the day.

(The CAR:cool:)

Attachments

• 879030_f520.jpg
    879030_f520.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12
I'd love to have an old fashioned VW bug just like the ones back in the 1960's, if that was re-introduced.

Sunbeam Tiger
SS 396 or 427 Chevelle
442 Olds

Back
Top Bottom