Which retro auto model would you like to see reintroduced?

Jaguar MarkII 1964 with a modern FI engine.

What I have now

us_vehicles.430354.1.jpg

Photo is of identical to what mine is. 95 xj6.

Last edited:
That 64 Jag looks bad with the modern wheels.

Jay - the new Beetle may meet the criteria, but a tri-five Chevy (55-57 for those unfamiliar with that term) would be very difficult to meet without the design being very compromised.

^^^^^ Ouch! How to ruin a perfectly good 1959 Chevrolet! (and it's occupant)

Forget where, but I saw one with a Ford Model A. That was worse - the car all but exploded.

"The good old days" weren't all that good in many ways.

Agree that more utilitarian minivan like the VW transporter would be desirable, especially if it had good towing capacity and a quality camper version a la the Westphalias. Or maybe a larger version of something like the Chevy HHR.

Last edited:
Ford Pinto. Just kidding. My first car was one.

Send that one to the Onion as a story idea: "Ford Brings Back Another Famous Badge From the Past. Sales expected to be hot, hot, hot!"

They were pretty neat little cars, for their day. And the competitive Chevy Vega had some fairly innovative (if trouble-prone) engineering under the hood to make things lighter.

You could buy an add-on to keep at the airport to make your Pinto airworthy. (See AVE Mizar). It, too, turned out to have some minor glitches . . . (a wing collapsed in flight, which pretty much ended the program). Still, at least when flying you were unlikely to get rear-ended and have that pesky fuel tank cause problems.
xcvbb4532.jpg

Little old lady on my paper route back in late 70's had a 68? dodge coronet that really spoke to my teen age need for speed!

1958 or 9 Plymouth Fury....or how about 1963 4 door Dodge Coronet 440?

That Dodge was one UGLY car!!!! But it was my first car, I bought for $100 in about 1978. It was red. It had a push button transmission. The passenger fender was red, but turned out it was repaired with Sacramento tomato juice cans and bondo!!!!

My sister drove it on I84 in Orange County NY and wasnt ready for how powerful it was....she drove it down into the grassy median at about 55 and then right back up and out back onto the road!!!!

My boyfriend borrowed it one night and slid off the icy road and hit a pole...no injuries, but that's how we discovered the tomato juice cans!

I ran that thing for about 2 years.

I had VW bugs, 2 Karmann Ghias, 2 Buses and a Westfalia. Loved them all and would buy a KG or Bus/Transporter but only if they had the air-cooled 4 banger. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I could do tune-ups, oil change, and valve adjustments along with other easy maintenance.

I would also like to see the 1965 Plymouth Baracuda reintroduced. My first car was a '65 Valiant with bucket seats and auto on the floor. I had it for 3 years and hated to give it up. I've been tempted a time or two to consider a restored '65 Baracuda but the prices keep going up.

Cheers!

I would love a new Jaguar E-type.

I had VW bugs, 2 Karmann Ghias, 2 Buses and a Westfalia. Loved them all and would buy a KG or Bus/Transporter but only if they had the air-cooled 4 banger. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I could do tune-ups, oil change, and valve adjustments along with other easy maintenance.

I've got a modified VW 4-banger in an airplane, it is a dream to maintain. The engine cases are stil being manufactured in Brazil. I don't think the engine would meet modern US vehicle emission standards, unfortunately.

I saw VW Transporter model like this one near my home recently, I didn't know they'd made 'em like this. The sides flip down leaving a clean flatbed accessible from all sides. The bed is kinda high (because there needs to be room for an engine under it!), but it's a very versatile design. Not much crumple room in front of the driver's toes, however. You'd want to keep the brakes in very good shape.

Kind of off-topic, but related to the VW discussion. The hot swap now for the old air cooled flat four is to put a new Subaru flat four in. Even better with a turbo Subaru engine.

Hum, there are so many. Probably (1) '66 Chevelle 396 or (2) a '68 Charger with either a 426 or 440 and (3) '66 GTO 389.

Little 4 cylinder, light, good fuel mileage, zippy, fun to drive, handy, what else? Where did they all go?

I am still driving my '82 VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup that is closing in on 400k miles. I absolutely refuse to buy a new car. About the latest I can stand would be something like a BMW 528i or SAAB 9-3 from early in the millenium. I think new cars look like toasters on wheels and are full of USELESS automation. I will not drive anything but a manual gearbox (but I would like a full size car) so my options are very limited.

Hum, there are so many. Probably (1) '66 Chevelle 396 or (2) a '68 Charger with either a 426 or 440 and (3) '66 GTO 389.

well the charger and goat have been "revived"

not sure about the chevelle - that would be tempting

I'd love to have a (reliable) resurrected TR-6, MGB, or even a Spitfire. I don't know who owns the rights to those badges, and I don't think any small company could bring out a refreshed version that was reasonably priced. Anyway, maybe the Miata has filled that market niche.

A Fiat X1/9 ? Probably not . . .
fiat-x1-9-3.jpg

I'd love to have a (reliable) resurrected TR-6, MGB, or even a Spitfire. I don't know who owns the rights to those badges, and I don't think any small company could bring out a refreshed version that was reasonably priced. Anyway, maybe the Miata has filled that market niche.

A Fiat X1/9 ? Probably not . . .
fiat-x1-9-3.jpg

Have a peek at the last Brig A Trailer auction for some British classic sales.

BaT Auctions | Bring a Trailer

I agree. loved those cars growing up. Not sure I would fit in them now. At a minimum would be hard to get in/out. but they look darn cool.

Back
Top Bottom