Which retro auto model would you like to see reintroduced?

Nice restoration, but you have not lived until spent some time synchronizing SU carburetors. Or own a mechanic who can. :LOL:

You use a manometer. I have one in my cave full of tools. I had British cars so I lived with pain.

One of these?

54_5891_1961_CHEVROLET_CORVETTE_1.jpg

Or one of these?

63%20Vette%20-%20Driver%20Front%20Three%20Quarter%20-%20Application%20Photo.jpg

well the charger and goat have been "revived"

not sure about the chevelle - that would be tempting

In name only. And yes, the newer "named" models run better, they are faster (if not speed limited), quicker (if properly equipped) get better gas mileage (anyway you measure it), they are safer, more durable, etc, etc. My late model Vette gets 25+mpg, has more HP and can easily out run any of them BUT, there's nothing like driving one of those <10 mpg leaded gas late 60's muscle cars. Maybe it's because of the memories.:cool:

HFWR, You have good taste. Love that generation.

Attachments

• 60 fuelie.jpg
    60 fuelie.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice restoration, but you have not lived until spent some time synchronizing SU carburetors. Or own a mechanic who can. :LOL:
I had a 1972 TR-6 with dual SU carbs. It was indeed a pain.

I had a 1972 TR-6 with dual SU carbs. It was indeed a pain.
A good-looking car!
Mine was a '64 XKE convertible with triple side-draft SU carbs. After spending a >long< time getting them synchronized and "right", I eventually had to take the car to the mandatory CA emissions check/extortion. There was no way that car could ever be made to pass emissions. The normal and well-understood shake-down was that you paid an authorized shop $200 to fix the car and then they signed off a sheet saying it was as good as it could get and the folks in Sacramento were happy. I apparently stumbled into the only shop in the state that didn't know how this was supposed to work, he insisted on trying to make the car pass. I pleaded: "Please--it can't pass. I know this. The car is running as well and as clean as it can. Here's the $200, please sign the waiver." Nope. When he had to ask me where the mixture and idle adjustments were, I knew I was in deep trouble. It was barely running and much "dirtier" when I left that shop. And I had to re-synch everything.

I didn't read every post here but if not mentioned before I like the Australian Holden Ute series. This is a GM subsidiary and a few models have made there way to the U.S. recently (Pontiac GTO, G8, Chevy SS (currently)). I'm hearing however that GM will shut down operations by 2017. Darn it.

With the El Camino gone for several yrs now I thought it was be cool to bring this "over" from down under. You can get the Chevy SS with the six speed manual for 2015. I guess sales for the SS have been slow however. $45K price tag but there is a following and forum. Chevy SS Forum

holden ute.jpg

They rock the V-8 from the Camaro that is cranking out ~435HP. Vroom!

I didn't read every post here but if not mentioned before I like the Australian Holden Ute series. This is a GM subsidiary and a few models have made there way to the U.S. recently (Pontiac GTO, G8, Chevy SS (currently)). I'm hearing however that GM will shut down operations by 2017. Darn it.

With the El Camino gone for several yrs now I thought it was be cool to bring this "over" from down under. You can get the Chevy SS with the six speed manual for 2015. I guess sales for the SS have been slow however. $45K price tag but there is a following and forum. Chevy SS Forum

View attachment 21450

They rock the V-8 from the Camaro that is cranking out ~435HP. Vroom!

Before Pontiac was killed off by GM here in US, there was talk of bringing the Holden Ute over here as a Pontiac. Obviously did not happen.

Your screen name also made me remember those 68 Chevy II Nova SS with the 375 HP 396 engines. I loved those, but never owned one.

I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera. Do any of you remember these? It still looks good to me but not as good as today's cars.

1971-72_DeTomaso_Pantera_01.jpg

I think my dream car today would be the Audi R8.

12370-2008-Audi-R8.jpg

+1. That thing, MGB, is pure ugly...

Cool elCamino-eque car, supernova72!

How about 1970's International Harvester don't know what model (worked for a pizza place that used these as delivery trucks - 4 speed stick fun to drive), Toyota 2000GT, 289 Cobra, 1970 Toyota Hi-Lux mini pickup.

As for the ultimate sleeper, my friend had a plain white early 60's Pymouth Valiant with a 426 hemi (it still had a puny single tailpipe).

I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera.

A friend of mine bought one, slightly used, in the early 70s for an outrageous price. Still a fraction of what the original owner had paid, but enormous (to me anyway). He still owns it.

Your screen name also made me remember those 68 Chevy II Nova SS with the 375 HP 396 engines. I loved those, but never owned one.

Ah yes. I have a 1972 Nova (non SS). It burns gas with the best of them. Ha!

Not the best pic here but here it is:

nova.jpg

Delorean.
DW would buy one in a heartbeat.
delorean-ev-main.jpg
I have a sad tale about a DeLorean. In 2010 there was an auction sale of the estate of a retired USAF Colonel who had retired to a little ND town.. It included a couple of telescopes that I wanted to check out so I went. There was a DeLorean there that was in almost new condition. The fuel system and several other systems had been completely restored.. I assumed it would go for a high price so didn't pay any attention to it at the sale. The damn thing sold for $9000.

Me too. Had a buddy in 1979 who had a Jaguar XJ12. His dad was a diplomat and got assigned somewhere in the boonies of Africa. Jared had to sell his car. I had told him to let me know if he ever was going to, but he left so fast he forgot (I assume, giving him the benefit of the doubt). He sold it for $5K. I was way poor back then, but I'd have sold my brother in a second to get that car.

Me too. Had a buddy in 1979 who had a Jaguar XJ12. His dad was a diplomat and got assigned somewhere in the boonies of Africa. Jared had to sell his car. I had told him to let me know if he ever was going to, but he left so fast he forgot (I assume, giving him the benefit of the doubt). He sold it for $5K. I was way poor back then, but I'd have sold my brother in a second to get that car.

Consider yourself lucky. The V12s were a plumber and electricians nightmare. Inline six are what those in the know prefer.

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One of many tidbits, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.

Consider yourself lucky. The V12s were a plumber and electricians nightmare. Inline six are what those in the know prefer.

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One tidbit, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.

I'm sure you're right. Still, the girls...

I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera. Do any of you remember these? It still looks good to me but not as good as today's cars.

1971-72_DeTomaso_Pantera_01.jpg

When I worked for Ford Motor Company in 1972, the Pantera dealer cost exactly the same as the Lincoln Mark--$9,700.

Oh, if I just had $9,700 and the vision to buy the Pantera. I bought my '72 Grand Torino Sport company car for $3,200.

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One of many tidbits, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.

I've got a Jaguar XK8 convertible as a play car. It's absolutely gorgeous, but has a rear seat no human could ever sit in.

Most people don't realize that many Jaguars (XK's and XJ sedans) of the 2000's have superchargers, and they're rockets. The latest model XK's with 550 hp engines will eat a turbo Porsche and most other supercars alive in a running drag race (on UTube.) Many are sporting aluminum bodies, too.

I've long since figured out that anyone with an old Jaguar must know where all the salvage Jaguars are in close proximity. Without junked cars, it would not be possible to purchase new parts when required. It's the same with many other high performance European cars.

Back
Top Bottom