Join Early Retirement Today

Who Does the Housework???
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who Does the Housework???

Just curious, among those who help run a household..... Still jealous of my dad's and grandad's generations, and the Ward Cleever days..........

My stepmom made sure I was domesticated before I left home, I think she felt I would be a lifetime bachelor..........boy did I fool her!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who Does the Housework???
Old 11-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

whats housework?

i do help ,i lift my feet when she vacuums

i eat when she cooks

works for me.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Split between DW and I, as always. We've generally split everything: work, housework, childcare, etc., just not always evenly. Works for us.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do the shopping/errands, snow blowing/lawn, and most of the cooking. We share taking care of/walking Lily the Basset. DW (still working) does most of the laundry.
I have a robot that does the vacuuming and whoever gets up first puts the garbage/recycling out
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Interesting.........I guess brewer's and my household are similar. However, I pretty much kicked DW out of the kitchen a few years ago..........even she admits I'm a better cook, and faster than she is.......

Of course, the fact I was a chef in a French restaurant a long time ago factored into her decision to leave the kitchen to me, but it took a couple years to remember I wasn't cooking for 100 people, and adjust the reciped accordingly................ :

Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

last time i tried cooking all the flies in the neighborhood chipped in to fix the hole in my kitchen screen door.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #7

DH is retired, I work. He does all cleaning and pays to have my stepsister come in once every two weeks to clean the things he just brushes over. He does the food shopping and cooking 90% of the time. He handles all house and car maintenence as well as yard work. I do laundry, handle the money and do all gift buying. We share duties pertaining to the dog from walking to vet visits. I help out when I have the time with chores but it's gotten so now I don't do them the way he likes so he'd rather have me not help, works for me

A couple weeks ago his ex stopped in to drop off something, he had supper on the stove and was cleaning up some dishes. He said she about fainted.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have always done all of the cooking and DW all the cleaning (dishes & light stuff - we have a housekeeper once a week for the heavy lifting). Now that I am ERd and DW is still working, I do the dishes as well - I invite my son over for dinner a lot because he always does the dishes.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We split the cooking, she does the dusting & vacuuming & mopping, I clean the kitchen & toilets. We split the laundry (I do most of the towels & sheets) and we agree to not make the beds. She does the lawn mowing and weedwhacks the downhill slope, I do the trees and the heavy-duty weeding. I load the dishwasher. She LOVES to paint (woo-hoo!) and I take care of the stinky/messy/sewage/electrical honey-dos. I'm also in charge of all insects & rodents.

Our kid is responsible for unloading the dishwasher, setting/clearing the table, and wastebaskets/trash. She cooks one or two dinners a week and she's learned that the One Who Complains About The Menu is also the One Who Gets Assigned To Cook. She's also totally responsible for her own room & bathroom. Spouse occasionally inspects and directs corrective action, but I try not to go back there unless it's fire, flooding, or a request from the Board of Health.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:17 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do everything (what gets done)

JG
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Administrator

The young wife - grocery shopping and cooking, about two thirds of the laundry

Me - everything else.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
The young wife - grocery shopping and cooking, about two thirds of the laundry

Me - everything else.
Young wife?? As opposed to an "old wife", or are you a graduate of the "Husband's Rule Book"...........

Stupid me, I thought I was funny at a party once, and referred to DW as my "first wife"...........and she referred to me as: COH Cut Off Husband............

Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I've been paying someone, but now I'm starting to do my own; actually found the vacuum cleaner and did a tour of the main floor.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Young wife?? As opposed to an "old wife", or are you a graduate of the "Husband's Rule Book"...........
She is two years younger than me, and I have always referred to her as "the young wife". Never heard of the Husband's Rule Book.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #15

Since we've only been cohabitating for a year or so, it's still being worked out.

We usually grocery shop together, it's much more enjoyable, and both know what's available during the week.

I usually cook because he gets home about an hour later. In summer he grills a lot. He cooks big breakfasts on weekends.

We both do laundry. Whover fills the washer, or needs the clean socks first...

Housework - I do it while he's working on a "man project" - ie building, repairing, digging or anything else I'm not going to be helpful at. On weekends, we map out what needs to be done Saturday morning, and he helps with the housework items if there are no man projects. If he sees a heavy cleaning type job being ignored on my to do list for awhile, he will pick it up and do it.

I clean the bird cages because "they're my damn birds." He takes care of the fish tank, although they were my damn fish he seems to have adopted them. He shared dog chores when we had a dog, although it was my damn dog, too.

He mows the lawn, weedeats, does the major projects, and I do the other gardening, flowers, veggies, weeding, raking, pruning, etc.

It works well. So far.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
It works well. So far.
Renegotiation is the key. I used to be in charge of dusting until I noticed how quickly someone (not me!) was running up the tchotchke count.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I drive the motorhome. DH fills it with diesel and does most of the hookups at camp (including excellent backing directions by the way).

I do most of the food planning and a lot of the cooking - including the outdoor cooking. DH does breakfast a lot of the time. I often wash the dishes, although he'll sometimes volunteer - especially if I've had a long day driving.

DH handles trash and dumping of the RV tanks. Also handles occasional shower and toilet cleaning.

We both pitch in to give the MH a good clean (takes a whole 30 mins!). I usually get the laundry sorted and started, he'll join me to fold it all. We usually grocery shop together.

I do all the money management, bill paying, account reconciliation and estimated taxes. DH handles the annual tax filings.

Funny how chores evolve to be assigned to one or the other.

Audrey
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Funny how chores evolve to be assigned to one or the other.
I think it's a combination of people doing what they enjoy, are capable of, or don't hate too much while avoiding the chores they can't stand.

She likes to tidy up but doesn't do the heavy duty cleaning and organizing - so she vacuums every day while I'm the one that polishes the wood floors or reseals the tile. She hates to cook, so I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking. The kids clean up, do the dishes and take out the trash - then she comes along and handles whatever they failed to do to her satisfaction.

I'll do laundry, but have a dislike of folding the finished product - so she winds up doing most of that chore while occasionally I just put stuff in the machines and then hand her the clean clothes to fold.

Purchasing and maintaining all things electrical, mechanical or computer are strictly my job. That includes gassing up the cars. She will put a few bucks in when she's on "E", but she can't stand to fill them up so I get that chore.

I do the investment research and wind up making most of the financial decisions(she can't stand dealing with it), but she's the shopping expert and finds bargains, as well as being the frugal one who points out when I'm being foolish with money.

She loves to paint, so she just spent a couple of weeks repainting some rooms and touching up the kitchen cabinets. I can do basic carpentry so I got to replace a door and frame, fix some damaged exterior siding, and hang new gutters.

She helped the kids with homework when they were younger, but I take over the primary responsibility for that once they get to middle school. She is the backup though, usually when one of them doesn't want to deal with dad's way of helping (Mom, he makes me look up words in the dictionary / memorize the multiplication tables, etc.)

She loves to do the gardening (calls it "therapy"), but one of my projects in ER was to make them over. The result, IMHO, was better looking than what she had done. At the outset it was a chore because I just never found any enjoyment working in the yard. But after researching plants, doing the design work, shopping for materials, etc., I found it a fun challenge and I'm pleased with how it all turned out. Where responsibility lays for the continuing maintenance of the gardens is not clear at the moment. A landscape crew mows and trims the grass (they're very cheap and turn a half day job into a ten minute show for me to watch).
Old 11-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Who Does the Housework
No one much of the time.

I do the dishes and keep the kitchen (kinda) clean. She does most of the laundry. Vacuuming and floor care is mostly me, but not exclusively. Taking the trash out is the responsiblity of whoever notices it's time.

Yard work is similar. I do most (but not all) of the mowing. She does most (but not all) of the citrus, fig, peach and almond tree care. I do the dirt maintenance required to keep irrigation water flowing where it is supposed to flow. She does the shrub trimming, etc.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote