Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Drive One - Unhappy About It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To Each Their Own

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • May God Have Mercy On Them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Only time will tell, but doesn't it look like we should have been invading the country to the right at this point, if anyone? This war is 3 years old, that puts it at about the equivalent of '66 for the Veitnam war, wasn't the Tet offensive in '68, the point Kronkite said the war didn't look winnable?

Realistically, I see a country with a Federal government that doesn't have much influence far outside the capital, warlords controlling their region, and a U.S. force of about 20k playing whack-a-mole with insurgents. Just like Afghanistan. Is it success? Who's measuring?

I'm curious, do soldiers really think those of us who have turned against the war think we are going to shout "baby killer!" and spit on them when they get back?

Laurence,

I haven't heard of anything like that for almost 40 years. Not since I was in uniform on the streets of Portland, OR.

It isn't the same these days, not by a country mile. From what I have seen, it is, "Good job! Thanks!"

Ed

Laurence said:
This war is 3 years old, that puts it at about the equivalent of '66 for the Veitnam war, wasn't the Tet offensive in '68, the point Kronkite said the war didn't look winnable?

I don't think this can be compared in any way to the Vietnam War.

-- Are there any superpowers supporting Iraq?
-- Some have noticed a difference in the geography/climate/vegatation between Iraq and Vietnam. That changes a lot of things in a fight like this.
-- There's meaningful progress on the military side, the social side, and the political side.

BTW-- The Tet Offensive was a military disaster for the VC (as acknowledged byNorth Vietnam after the war). But it played big in a US press that was ready to quit.

A lot of good, brave Iraqis have died, more are sticking their necks WAY out to see this through. We're doing the right thing. If we "RE" in Iraq it will be a disaster.

DanTien said:
I just started using the BP Visa Rewards card -
1st 60 days 10% off BP gas   4% off Dining/Travel   2% off everything else
Plus a $75 BP gas card for signingup & using

After 60 days its 5% - 2% - 1% off

Helps soothe my gas pains

Wow, that's an awesome deal. Is that really 10% off the price, or is it that you get a 10% rebate?

A couple of the gas chains around here offer big rebates on their credit cards, but their regular price is so much higher, its still a better deal to go to one of the el cheapo gas stations.

I see a long line at those stations charging 30-40c more a gallon, so apparently the strategy works.

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Wow, that's an awesome deal. Is that really 10% off the price, or is it that you get a 10% rebate?
No no I meant you get the rebate - the BP stations here are competitive on price....

Back
Top Bottom