• To Each Their Own

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • May God Have Mercy On Them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I blame all big SUV owners for all our problems today! :D
Somebody that needs a truck for their work I have no problem with.

May they pay gas, road maintenance, Social Security, and Medicare taxes for the rest of my life.

Or at least for the rest of theirs...

Chev 1/2 ton, 16-17mpg everyday driving, 22-23 highway... Average about 12k mi/yr.

Voted "to each their own"...

I dont know about the specifics of their needs, so I cant say.

But I guess its pretty easy to get on a high horse quick and claim the high ground.

On the other hand, there sure as **** are a lot of people driving huge vehicles they dont need, and thats certainly helped create supply problems.

On the other hand, if there wasnt so much volume of gas being purchased, and money being made, would exploration and drilling slow down, still have supply problems, and still have high gas prices?

Maybe the SUV owners will push us along to an alternative to the gas engine a little quicker...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Maybe the SUV owners will push us along to an alternative to the gas engine a little quicker...
Was that part of the Pentium marketing plan?

Just kidding-- no one ever went broke by underestimating the laziness or stupidity of the American consumer...

I voted that I dislike them especially where I currently live. I have a problem with people living in NYC driving them or huge Hummers. I would dislike them just about anywhere but would tolerate them if people really needed them like people need pickup trucks or vans.

What counts as a gas guzzler?

I drive a Honda Element -- 4 cylinders but still, it is a small SUV. I camp, sleep, and haul with it, but it would be hard to say I "need" it for anything.

While I MAY have something to say about Expedition and Hummer owners, I'm not throwing any stones until you define your terms! :)

Caroline said:
What counts as a gas guzzler?

I drive a Honda Element -- 4 cylinders but still, it is a small SUV. I camp, sleep, and haul with it, but it would be hard to say I "need" it for anything.

While I MAY have something to say about Expedition and Hummer owners, I'm not throwing any stones until you define your terms! :)
Gas Guzzler definition = MPG less than Honda Element

Definition of a gas Guzzler...

Anything that gets worse milage than MY car/truck/SUV

I don't drive one myself -- I don't drive anything -- but I wholeheartedly support gas-guzzler drivers, and I think those vehicles are cool. The only thing related to gas-guzzlers that pisses me off is all the complaining I've heard about them, non-stop for years. Seriously, what's it to you that other people like driving cool vehicles? They're the ones paying for their gas, and for the machines themselves.

I also think it's funny that people discuss them in terms of their drivers' needs. Totally irrelevant to what a person chooses to drive. It warms the cockles of my heart to see someone driving an SUV through my corner of terrain-free suburbia. ;)

(Of course, in most cases they probably can't really afford it and would be well-advised to have bought something else for financial reasons, but that's something else entirely...)

Let the free market function. If they chose to spend their money that way, thats up to them. I personally wouldn't drive an SUV if you gave it to me for nothing.

Grumpy

Cool Dood said:
I don't drive one myself -- I don't drive anything -- but I wholeheartedly support gas-guzzler drivers, and I think those vehicles are cool. The only thing related to gas-guzzlers that pisses me off is all the complaining I've heard about them, non-stop for years. Seriously, what's it to you that other people like driving cool vehicles? They're the ones paying for their gas, and for the machines themselves.

I also think it's funny that people discuss them in terms of their drivers' needs. Totally irrelevant to what a person chooses to drive. It warms the cockles of my heart to see someone driving an SUV through my corner of terrain-free suburbia. ;)

(Of course, in most cases they probably can't really afford it and would be well-advised to have bought something else for financial reasons, but that's something else entirely...)
You are too much! :LOL:

When I think of their gas mileage, I'm just glad I'm not them.

My Toyota Camry is getting very good mileage. I'm very happy with it.

I blame all big SUV owners for all our problems today! Cheesy
Dan, WHAT problems:confused: :) I work in the oil business. These guys are going to pay for my kids' education and my retiremement. I have beach-front property in Churchill, Manitoba. Global warming will make me rich.

Dan, where is the button that says, "Leadfoot, I love you!"?

I don't drive one myself -- I don't drive anything -- but I wholeheartedly support gas-guzzler drivers, and I think those vehicles are cool. T

I don't drive either. At home the family drives old Prizms (cheap Corollas).

CoolDood, you bring tears of joy to my eyes. :smitten:

Ed The Gypsy

Seriously, what's it to you that other people like driving cool vehicles? They're the ones paying for their gas, and for the machines themselves

Well...  there's the whole environmental thing.  Ignoring that can of worms, I can report that safety was a big factor in my abandoning my dear, 14-year-old Camry for something with front and side airbags, AND something that rode a little higher and weighed a little more.  

I mean, I'd pull into a parking lot in my Camry, look over at the SOB... er... SUV next to me, and find my head at the same height as their headlights.  Let's face it, in an accident with one of these dreadnoughts, I'd be hamburger meat.

It does bother me that my choice was in part based on having to play defense.

FWIW
Caroline

I feel the same way about SUVs that I do about McMansions--if you can afford the mortgage, upkeep, taxes, and you enjoy cleaning it, knock yourself out. This is one aspect of capitalism I endorse. You are free to choose your own crib/ride.

Personally I own a Passat and a Toyota truck. Sounds all fuel-efficient and ecologically sound, but my hub and I both drive to work each day. I'm working on getting us down to using one vehicle per day. Gas for both is about weekly $75 now and that is too damn much.

Caroline said:
Well... there's the whole environmental thing. Ignoring that can of worms, I can report that safety was a big factor in my abandoning my dear, 14-year-old Camry for something with front and side airbags, AND something that rode a little higher and weighed a little more.

I mean, I'd pull into a parking lot in my Camry, look over at the SOB... er... SUV next to me, and find my head at the same height as their headlights. Let's face it, in an accident with one of these dreadnoughts, I'd be hamburger meat.

It does bother me that my choice was in part based on having to play defense.

FWIW
Caroline

Being a bicycle rider, the bigger the vehicle the more at risk I am. I "feel" most people aren't capable of driving large vehicle safely.
Why settle for a SUV and keep up with the Jones. If I had a family to protect and didn't worry about the cost of fuel or the environment, I would probably get a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Now that's what I call protection. Maybe I would start a dealership as well, "a chicken in every pot and a Bradley in every (very large) garage.

Cool Dood said:
I wholeheartedly support gas-guzzler drivers, and I think those vehicles are cool. The only thing related to gas-guzzlers that pisses me off is all the complaining I've heard about them, non-stop for years. Seriously, what's it to you that other people like driving cool vehicles? They're the ones paying for their gas, and for the machines themselves.

Sorry, CD - if the guzzlers would keep the extra pollution to themselves and not share it with the rest of us, I might agree with you. But the atmosphere is a shared resource, and just because someone can afford to guzzle the fuel doesn't make it okay.

Of course, there's no moral absolute here - I also generate pollution that others get to breathe. But we choose the most efficient vehicles that meet our "needs" (arbitrary and subjective as those may be), e.g. our commuter vehicle is a 45 MPG diesel. I'd feel immoral commuting in a Suburban. Someone without a car could say we're immoral to commute by car at all. I think the rule of thumb is, someone using more than you is sinful. Moral relativism at it's finest. ;)

SC

sc, I was going to post a response to yours, but it looks like you already took care of that for me.. ;)

Maybe it's more efficient that way, so you can use less fuel posting.

Preserve electrons - Save the Internet! Peak IP packets is nigh!

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Dan, WHAT problems:confused: :) I work in the oil business. These guys are going to pay for my kids' education and my retiremement. I have beach-front property in Churchill, Manitoba. Global warming will make me rich.
Ed The Gypsy
:LOL:
I used to sell excursion tickets for the Churchill train....You and the bears, Ed.... laying on the beach! Where's the chilly shivering face here.... oh this will have to do! :dead:

I got no problem with you Ed...I say lets annex Canada and its oil sands, increase our MPG standards, replace big SUVs with hybrids, increase our ethanol (sugar) use so my ALEX will sky rocket, and forget about getting oil from the Middle-East, Nigeria, Venezuela and anywhere else where we could be made vulnerable, so we don't have to have anymore troops and their families pay the price while we just go about our comfortable lives without any sacrifice

Gas guzzlers are the tragedy of the commons. We are in hock to our enemies yet we expect (ala Bill O'Reilly) our citizens to solve the problem through individual choices to conserve. Ain't gonna happen. We should have solved this in the 70s with gas taxes or some kind of penalty at the cash register on vehicles that don't reach aggressive mileage standards. Meanwhile, I drive an SUV.

Back
Top Bottom