Your weight now versus at age 20

185 at 20 192 now at 69 but in the meantime over the years its been as low as 160 and as high as 215 (marathon training coincided with the lower number - no surprise there). Also, I used to be a little over 6 ft, now 5 11

I'm about the same weight as I was in college in the early 80s. I grew an inch taller from age 22 -23. I was vegetarian in college and am vegan now. The restricted diet helps to keep my weight down.

I weighed 175 in high school, and weigh around 245 now at age 55. I eat too much and exercise too little. When I was in high school I rode my bike so intensely I had to eat like a horse just to maintain my weight. Now I sit on the couch and snack all night while I watch TV.

Oh I’m heavier. I don’t think I can sustain my high school weight as I was a skinny teenager. Maybe 10 extra is not so bad. Might be protective for my bones.

6’ 1.5”, 168lbs at 18, 182 at 20, 180 now

103 when I started HS prob 115-120 when I finished it. About the same at the end of college, swimming and running-easily swam a mile 5 days/week or ran 2-5 miles. Maintained the same in medical school-had to work hard to do that. Metabolism and genetics working against me. 150 finishing residency. 115 3 years later on weight watchers. Maintained until pregnancy. Got back down to 128 but the crept back up and gradually got to 180-200. Early menopause made things worse. Lost 30 lbs on Keto, went back to work flip-flopping days and nights and gradually went back up. Retired for good in May. Started Keto again early June after Italy trip. Losing 2 lbs/week. I can still swim a mile.

I really want to see my ideal weight again. I stopped regular soda before I was 20. I never eat dessert or keep cookies or chips in the house, though in the past occasionally did. Evening eating on days off and some alcohol didn’t help.

Ask me again in a year. It’s been a lifelong struggle. Keto diet and ER make me think I can really achieve ideal weight for good.

15 pounds more. At one time it was 30 pounds but I got rid of half that long ago. Currently losing another ten to get down to just five over high school weight. I find losing it isn't really that difficult; I just have to put my mind to it. Simply a matter of changing my normal low carb diet to very low carb for a few weeks.

It's interesting that some good research has shown older people who are slightly overweight to be healthier and have greater longevity than those who are not.

I have three people on my block who are in their 80s and one in his 90s. All appear fairly trim, and all are healthy and active.

Last edited:
98 pounds and 4' 8" as a high school Freshman.
132 and 6 feet at age 20
242 now at 67

At that rate, I'll be 550 lbs by the time I'm 80!

I wrestled in HS, and at 18 I would bounce all over the lower end of the weight classes back then - 98lbs, 105lbs, up to 112lbs - although I never actually weighed 112. You could wrestle 1 class higher. I was 5'6", and not saying that was healthy weight, but I was stronger than I am now for sure.

Just over a year ago at 55, I topped out at 190lbs.... Dr. was going to put me on Type 2 meds.

I am now bouncing at 150lbs +/-3, no meds. I'd like at my height to be 135lbs, but have seemed to plateau here.

BMI is a very poor barometer.

There is observational data showing (marginally, not massively) higher weights as we age are associated with longer life. (They don't know why. I expect it may be the advantage of a few extra pounds in cases of wasting diseases.)

If you're interested, check out smart BMI calculator (all one word) [dot] com. They provide research on why they believe theirs is a stronger yardstick.

I'm 6'6". I was 150 pounds when I graduated HS at age 17.75. Lifted weights a lot age 18-19 and was 180 at age 19.5 with 4% body fat. Hurt myself lifting and never did it again on a regular basis. Down in the 160's for most of my 20's, 170's for most of 30's. I'm now a month from turning 40 and am at 176 pounds at 13.5% body fat. I'm good with that.

I'm 5'7", was 120 when I started college. Got up to 147 at my peak around age 55. I kicked up my workouts a notch, started watching what I ate, and now I try to stay at 121-122 to keep my BMI at 19 or above. (Yes, I DID see the previous post on BMI.) This morning I was 120. Problem is that I'm trying to keep my a1c down without meds (jumped from 5.5 to 5.8 over 6 months, just measured last week) and my triglycerides are high. So, anything I want to add to my diet to gain a bit should not be heavy in sugar or animal fats. That excludes most of the yummy stuff!

And yes, I'm happy to have this "problem". I feel very good at this weight but I have a little osteopenia and want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I'm 5'7", was 120 when I started college. Got up to 147 at my peak around age 55. I kicked up my workouts a notch, started watching what I ate, and now I try to stay at 121-122 to keep my BMI at 19 or above. (Yes, I DID see the previous post on BMI.) This morning I was 120. Problem is that I'm trying to keep my a1c down without meds (jumped from 5.5 to 5.8 over 6 months, just measured last week) and my triglycerides are high. So, anything I want to add to my diet to gain a bit should not be heavy in sugar or animal fats. That excludes most of the yummy stuff!

And yes, I'm happy to have this "problem". I feel very good at this weight but I have a little osteopenia and want to make sure it doesn't get worse.
Sorry to give a dietary comment, but as far as I know eating more animal fats by itself does not raise triglycerides. Triglycerides, like blood sugar, are linked to the amount of carbs in the diet, from everything I’ve studied. I am also working hard to reduce my triglycerides through diet.

Last edited:
In HS I was a thin rail that had just had the growth spurt later and was running and physically active all the time. Probably about 35 lbs underweright for my frame then at 6' ..
Now I do weights and am still active for hours at a time but not like then, have shrunk at least and inch, and am now about 30 lbs on the other side of my ideal.

Maybe this confession will shame me into working on it more seriously.

Sorry to give a dietary comment, but as far as I know eating more animal fats by itself does not raise triglycerides. Triglycerides, like blood sugar, are linked to the amount of carbs in the diet, from everything I’ve studied.

Thanks- I'd dialed back my consumption of foods with aspartame and added in a little more stuff sweetened with sugar over the last 6 months; had also started eating a couple of clementines every day for the Vitamin C. I suspect that what I do to get the a1c back down will help the triglycerides, too.

150 @ 18
160 @ 20
230 @ 23
165 @ 30
215 @ 59
190 @ 65
180 @ 70

yo-yo

I'm 5'9" and graduated high school at 147 pounds. I was doing physical work remained at 147 until I started at Megacorp at age 27. I then began a steady upward climb until I reached 227 pounds! Eighty pounds in 29 years! I'm down to ~167 now! Until I hurt myself this earlier this year I was jogging 20km a week.

I'm twice the man I was since my high school days. (well sort of :LOL:) My weight in high school was about 165. Today, 50+ years later, I weigh in at 225. But my height hasn't measurably changed since high school,:cool: still 6'1".

Last edited:
I am 5’3. I was 100lb when I graduated from HS. Ate a lot of ice cream in college and my weight shot up to 120lb at the end of freshman year. Had to watch my weight throughout the rest of college years. Now I am at 107. Wouldn’t mind if I could add a few pounds of muscle.

Last edited:
6'4" and 135# ~ skinny kid - joined the Navy and my height/weight got me classified as "medically repairable" during the Vietnam war. My repair was me saying I was ok - I stayed skinny. Managed to get all the way to 178# in my late active working 50s. At a sedentary near 70 and maybe 6'3" I'm shrinking, now around 162#. Have a long sleeved denim shirt from my long haired post Navy days when I was maybe 27 - wore it the other night for a "dress like a hippy" event and it was tight and stretching around my chest - I would have destroyed it had I snapped it closed. Lord I was skinny!

Back
Top Bottom