Your weight now versus at age 20

I was 185 at age 20 and 185-87 at 58. My weight is due to being on the LCHF diet. I run just like I did at age 20.

I'm the same weight as age 20. However my waist measurement is now 36 rather than 32.

20 yo was 165 lbs. 22 yo was 185. Now at 64 187. Put 20 pounds on in six months with first desk job

When I entered college at 18 I was just over 6' and weighed 168 lbs. 10 years later when I started work I was 6'1" and 165 (thanks to the standard grad school starvation diet).

I then proceeded to gain roughly 1 lb a year for my whole working life, ending up a semi-pudgy 192 at 55 at the time of my retirement. I rode bikes a lot in the first few years after ER and got down to around 180 (177-178 after a good ride, but that doesn't count). This year I've had some health issues that have limited my cycling and I've re-inflated to around 185 at 59. Such is life.

165 @18 (too skinny)
183 @20 (in the Navy)
200 @45 (too many business meals)
186 @54 (training for a marathon)

I’ll take it!

You are most likely to get responses of those who have maintained somewhere around the same weight. Those who have doubled or come close to it, aren't going to share.

And those who have maintained their weight, the majority have won the genetic lottery. Look around, it's not a nice sight to see and it's only getting worse.

Agree. A poll would be interesting.

I have no idea what I weighed in HS/college. I was lucky enough to never have to struggle and didn’t own a scale. I would guess it was 120-130 or so. In my late 20s it crept up to 145 and now is about 30lbs higher than that.

A ‘good’ weight for me is 140. A definite priority to get closer to there when we can pull the plug.

I am 59 y.o. and 10 pounds heavier than when I graduated high school. At my heaviest, I was 20 pounds heavier. According to the smart BMI calculator I am at my ideal weight and losing the 10 pounds will not improve my health. I would like to convert those 10 pounds from fat to muscle but I am pretty lazy and likely won't do it.

I'm the same weight as age 20. However my waist measurement is now 36 rather than 32.

I'm thinking this is true for most people who weigh the same now as back in the day. We lose muscle mass despite our best efforts to maintain it.

I don't have data going that far back, but I recently dug up an exercise log from about 12 years ago when I weighed the same as I do now. My waist measurement is 2 inches more now.

I think I was about 120 in high school. Now I'm at 140 at age 71. Was a runner then and now.

I see young guys without shirts running the trails and there is really no fat. Is this healthy at a senior's age? Not sure.

But really, what should the answer be?

I then proceeded to gain roughly 1 lb a year for my whole working life, ending up a semi-pudgy 192 at 55 at the time of my retirement.

This was something I noticed among my colleagues- my profession was small and I usually got to a meeting once a year, and I could see the older ones gaining about 10 lbs. or more per decade. After 30 years it really made a difference. It was particularly bad among those whose jobs involved a lot of travel, or getting and keeping clients, or both. I decided I didn't want to end my career several dress sizes bigger than when I started. It was good motivation.

Pretty much the same - I gained ~10lbs. in college, lost them after DD was born (w*rking way too hard with an infant) then ended up back at college weight after DS was born. Gained about a pound a year for ~15 years and decided that was not a good look. Lost most of it on South Beach Diet. In the past few years, lost the rest of it by getting a dog that likes to walk. Now I'm doing strength training at the gym to work on muscle mass. So far (3 months) no change in weight.

I'm close to my 20 YO weight. I don't really know what it was but I would guess 155 at 6'0". I do know I gained a pound a year until I hit my peak at 197 about six years ago at age 65. Then I dropped quickly down to 162 where I have stayed within 2 pounds ever since.

160 at age 16 when I got my license. 170 now. Same size Levi’s 32 waist. I have more muscle mass now at 13.5% body fat.

I was about 175 and am now at 193. Been as high as 225 and as low as 158, when my doctor told me I was too thin. She said to target 180, but I overshot. [emoji20]

There is observational data showing (marginally, not massively) higher weights as we age are associated with longer life. (They don't know why. I expect it may be the advantage of a few extra pounds in cases of wasting diseases.)

Or it may be that some portion of the lower weight cohort already has some sort of disease and thus are destined to die sooner. We can rationalize many possibly explanations but may be better to say we don't know the reason at this point.

I'll admit it - I'm heavier. By a lot. After years of yo-yo dieting I've decided to focus on healthy lifestyle... I go to the gym every other day, daily do a beach walk of 2-3 miles, and try to 'walk my errands'. The result is my fat is less jiggly... I've got tone under this fat.

Then 1956 --- 175
In Between 225
Now 200

Been digging for this and found it yesterday.

Then... 1956 age 20 and a verification.
He goes where his E goes

Attachments

• Young Bob Swim.jpg
    Young Bob Swim.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Letter to folks.jpg
    Letter to folks.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
5' 10" and 145lbs when I graduated from high school at 17. In college started using a program designed by an assistant football coach lifting weights, running, and eating and got to 170 with low body fat percentage by the time I graduated at 21. I managed to stay under 180 until the combination of more watching our growing kids activities and lots of Megacorp travel and meals on the road started adding weight, Being diagnosed with an enlarged heart (fortunately fixed via surgery) and seeing how "full" my face looked at 200 pounds got me back on a regular exercise/eat better program 6 years ago. The better habits got my weight consistently back to the 185 range when I retired last year, and now am in the 170-175 weight range again.

I was about 126 pounds at 20. After college, it went up steadily until it reached 145 about 5 years ago. I started intermittent fasting and now I am back to 125 pounds. If I stick to IF, I will lose more weight so I relaxed "intermittent" part a little to maintain 125 pounds. At 57, I feel healthy, and happy with the current weight.

I believe that I graduated high school at 5'10" 150#, and trying everything to gain more muscle, and weight..even in my mid 40s working in a hot factory, I weighed about 165# for years. I got promoted to doing prototype/engineering work about 6 years ago, and instantly gained about 25#, with a high of 194# when we got home from a week of debauchery in Jamaica.

I am now maintaining about 182#, at 54 years old, and happy with it.

It's interesting to me that people know this stuff. I honestly have no idea what I weighed in my teens or 20's.

I was always "tall and skinny" and paid almost no attention to what I ate.

Until I was in my late 40s.

Then I noticed I was getting chubby (stressful job sitting at a desk my whole adult life!).

So around 10 years ago at 6'6" and 250 lbs I started paying attention and seeing what I could do to drop some of the weight.

Since then I've been doing low carb eating with moderate activity (I don't run or play competitive sports, but walk a fair amount and visit the gym on a regular schedule(!) to do some weights) and have gotten down to just under 200.

I'm pretty happy at this weight. Got rid of my XLT shirts (so many XLT dress shirts) and now only have LT shirts. I'm not going back to XLT.

Back
Top Bottom