Your weight now versus at age 20

So around 10 years ago at 6'6" and 250 lbs I started paying attention and seeing what I could do to drop some of the weight.

Since then I've been doing low carb eating with moderate activity (I don't run or play competitive sports, but walk a fair amount and visit the gym on a regular schedule(!) to do some weights) and have gotten down to just under 200.

I've not ever taken off so much weight and would be dead if I tried. I have an inkling of how much effort it is to reduce so much. You and others here are to be congratulated! :)

155 at 20,,, 175 now, at age 65. Actually for a period of time at age 20 I was quite ill and dropped from 155 to 135, but my good weight at that time was 155...

I'm 5'10" I'd prefer to weigh 170, but seem to lack the willpower and discipline to drop that last 5. Injuries have limited my exercise, which isn't helping.

Weighed 118 when I graduated. 1 year later at nineteen married and weighted 105. Fast forward to 2018. Weighed in at 250. Fast forward to 2019 lost down to 198. Doing 1500 calories a day and my hope is to reach 170. So far so good. Slow but sure. Lost the 52 lbs in a year and a half. Hope to maintain after reaching my goal.

165 lbs then, 196 lbs now. been weight-lifting and added some muscles :)

I was tall and skinny in college... 6'-4" and about 155-160 lbs. I walked or rode my bike to school and work. I was very active all the time, both mentally and physically. I played tennis 5-6 days per week and the job was physically demanding... night grocery stocker and restaurant cook.

Even at Megacorp in my late 20s and early 30s, I remember actively trying to gain weight but couldn't. I think I was around 165-170 at the time. Then somewhere around 40-45, I started gaining weight quite easily and steadily. I peaked at 225-230 when I retired in 2013 at 52. The last 10-15 years of work was very stressful. I wasn't eating well and got very little physical activity.

I'm now down to 180-185 (BMI=22) thanks to a low-carb diet that DW and I started around 2014. I shouldn't really call it a diet because it was a complete lifestyle change. We simply learned how to live better with low-carb foods.

Everything is better without that weight. My knee and back issues are gone. I can squat down like a baseball catcher and quickly stand up using just my legs. Simple things like tying my shoes are easier. My bloodwork is all normal and trending better.

5'5" and I was about 104 lbs. I was thin as a rail. I was too thin until I was in my 30s. I'm 130 now, and I need to be around 125 lbs. I lose my butt and thigh volumes when it's anything lower. It seems as I age, I'm losing volume and gaining volume in all the wrong places.

Maybe some people look good at the same weight as when they were younger, but I'm not one of them.

Last edited:
18 years old--170 lbs. and heading for college
18.5 years old--210 lbs. after all the late night meals and all the food we could eat in the dormatory cafeteria.
23 years old--220 lbs.
69 years old--235 lbs. and 6'3 with size 15 shoes. Big boned.

My twin brother, where have you been?

I'm 8 years younger though and 2" taller.:)

All over the map at 6'2".

18 - 145 lbs distance runner upon entering USN.
25 - 195 best shape in college when I started weightlifting and sported a six pack stomach until 30.
45 - 250 Middle aged dad and the six pack was now a kegger.
57 - 280 lbs (how did it get this bad?)
58 - 250 with a goal of 235 (turning into a gym rat).

Atom

Up over 60 lbs., nearly all of the weight gained when mom was sick & I was eating most meals out of vending machines at hospitals/nursing homes.

Seriously considering bariatric programs run by local hospitals.

Note: I do not recommend that dietary regimen. :)

5'5" and I was about 104 lbs. I was thin as a rail. I was too thin until I was in my 30s. I'm 130 now, and I need to be around 125 lbs. I lose my butt and thigh volumes when it's anything lower. It seems as I age, I'm losing volume and gaining volume in all the wrong places.

Maybe some people look good at the same weight as when they were younger, but I'm not one of them.

Could it be activity levels?

don't recall when I graduated from HS but I was 140 at the end of freshman year of college (1969). I know I was a little heavier in '68 when I graduated HS. when I retired in 2005 I was 280. this morning I was 208.

High School Graduation - 175 lbs. Now at Age 72 - 155 lbs.

The difference is that in 2007 I had cancer surgery that removed part of my stomach and small intestine. In addition my gall bladder and half my pancreas were removed. It is hard for me to gain weight.

Pretty much the same

I have been fortunate, whatever you want to call it, but my weight has always been about the same. 6'4" and around 195-200 lbs. 65 yo and still maintaining. No organized sports right now, just running and strength training on my own.

Glad to see another thumbs up for intermittent fasting. My DW and I just hit our 50th day and we both swear by it. We stick to the 16/8 regiment.

I weighed close to 130 at graduation from HS..always wanted to be slimmer...I was in great physical shape..and looked smaller..I've gone up a little from that, in the past. I weigh about 120 now...not as muscular. Pretty slim. I used to always cringe, when women where I worked would say, they only gained from 5-20 pounds..in a year, 'so wasn't that bad'. Well, this went on for 30 years...even if you gain 1 pound a year (which REALLY doesn't sound like much...) but in 30 years, you've gained 30 pounds! That's how it creeps up on people..just a little bit at a time..

HS I was about 120. Now I'm about 125. 5' 7 1/2" . Most I've ever weighed was 140 as a college junior, at which point my French landlady told me I was too young to be fat. Had gained 12 pounds while working as a cook in England the previous summer and eating lots of fried stuff and sweets. Even though my weight's about the same it's not distributed quite the same way. Slightly thicker around the middle, alas.
Wouldn't surprise me if many on this forum have managed their weight as well as their money. Almost by definition we're here because we're good at self-management (we'd pass the "marshmallow test" and opt for higher rewards for deferred gratification). OTOH, American culture can make it hard to stay at a healthy weight.

Up 40+ pounds since I was 20 but I’ve been this weight for a while.

125lbs at age 20 and throughout my 20’s (very skinny but I had a hard time putting weight on). Got an illness at age 27 and my weight quickly dropped to unsafe territory. After recovering, I decided that I needed more meat on my bones and I did my best to gain some weight. I stabilized around 165lbs from my 30s on.

Back
Top Bottom