Any experience with finding an old uncashed biz check?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cleaning out some things today, I found an old uncashed business check which was a reimbursement from American Express dated in 2004. Since it was never cashed and, in fact, wasn't even torn off the original bottom of their summary to me so they can see it's the original, what are my chances of getting a major company like this one to reissue this check to me today:confused:?
I am hoping someone on this board has some real world experience with this and can tell me of their experience.
I've closed the company, but could prove I had it by going to the County Recorder and obtaining a copy of the business name.

Most I've seen recently say "Not valid after 90 days."

No help with that kind of check, but when I was in college and working at a drug store I once put a paycheck in a dresser drawer and forgot about it.... for a year and a half. Fortunately in my case I was still working there so I could turn it into our office manager and she sent the check into Corporate to "back out" my old, expired check and cut me a new one. Nice interest-free loan for them, though I don't suppose the interest on something like $150 for 18 months was enough to offset their extra processing costs...

It's considered a stale dated check if the check is dated 6 months or more. A bank is not supposed to cash it, however with automated banking I would be surprised if anyone caught it and it would process.

When I was the treasurer of a Boy scout troop, a stale dated check I had written about 18 months old slipped past the bank and was cashed. Since it was a legitimate check, I just let it go. It's hard to say what the company who issued it would do or whether they still have the account on which it was drawn open.

If it was me I'd deposit it and see what happens.

Banks are expected to reject cheques that are more than 6 months old even if this is not stated on the cheque. In my experience they will always do so (a sad reflection on my financial management) and you need to get the issuer to either endorse the cheque or issue a replacement.

Occassionally I see a cheque with "not valid after 90 days" or similar on it. I haven't presented one of these late so I don't know likely it is that the bank will pick this up.

http://www.unclaimed.org/

Check the state registry of unclaimed property for the state(s) the business was done in. The check may be bad, but they may have registered the unclaimed money. Apparently they have to by law.

I was surprised to find that I had "unclaimed property" including a credit card payoff amount that I apparently double-paid and an "atta-boy" award from a previous employer for which I apparently never cashed the check.

How much?

Unfortunately or fortunately, this is a check for something like $524. I just happened to find it in an unopened envelope...much to my surprise and shock. We'll see what happens on this one...:blush:

If it is old, check the unclaimed links given above.... it it not to old.. get with the company that issued the check... every company that I know of will cut you a new check.. I would think AMEX is one that would...

I think the problem you will have is actually getting to the right people... but since you even got a check from them.... I would bet you might know someone in their org...

You other problem is that the reissue will be in the name of a closed company. Getting them to redirect the funds might be a bigger problem.

Every major company has someone in charge of handling escheats, usually in accounting or business practices. They can advise you as to next steps, but your money should still be available...if not from AmEx directly then through your state's unclaimed property division.

When I was AP mgr at my Megacorp and a check was not cashed in a timely manner, I'd have the vendor send the original check back to me. I would then void it, make the proper adjustments and reissue a new check.

I suggest calling the company and ask to speak to someone in finance. If they want the old check; get the person's name, send a letter detailing the discussion, the original check and send it registered mail with return signed receipt requested. Of course keep copies for your file.

Someone in the mail room may sign for the letter, but if you have someone's name in finance, they will likely take ownership of the problem.

I just found (and cashed) a $32.06 check that was three years old. It was a refund on an overpayment for a loan, and the check was issued by Bank of America. The check did not say it was void after 90 days, and so I took it to a local Bank of America branch to see if it was any good. They honored the check, and even though the manager knew she was supposed to get some pre-approval for it, she gave me the money right away since the check was for such a small amount.
So I guess old checks do sometimes work. Just don't try and deposit it. If it's no good and it bounces, your bank may charge you for it.

I tried getting a few old uncashed checks reissued and had zero luck. One place sent me a new check and then stopped payment, and I got a fee for that from my bank, so it actually cost me money.

I thought these places were supposed to turn over the unclaimed money to the state but I had no entries on the unclaimed money fund nor could I get the checks reissued. They just kept the money and there wasn't enough money involved for me alone to keep pursuing it any further.

I hope they all get hit with class action suits some day.

Back
Top Bottom