Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
That what seems to happen. Also CIT apparently keeps changing the type of account to get higher rates forcing folks to frequently open new accounts and transfer funds over to get the new higher rate.
from DepositAccounts

Just a note from personal experience: I simply contacted them via the website and they made the switch for me to the new, higher-paying account. Only took about 2 days and it was done. I didn't have to do anything on my end.

VMMXX keeps trending upward. It's now at 2.27%.

Here is a Novelty 7% Rate.... But at a B+ Credit union.

7.00% 7-7-7 Share Certificate ($7k Max) At Great Lakes Credit Union

Be my guest.....make $285.00 in 7 months........"It’s your lucky day! Earn 7% APY* for 7 months up to $7,000 on a special certificate. This offer is only available until November 30. So, hurry and open yours today!"

The US Treasury started issuing 8 week bills in mid October. These yield about midway between 4 week and 13 week treasury bills. Currently 2.3%.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Ally has sent me 2 emails already, reminding me that I'm due for a bonus, as long as I keep my $$ with them through January!

It's like they're afraid people will take out their money in order to chase rates somewhere else :LOL:

I am a rate chaser...… or is it a "Wheel Watcher"? Sort of an Ironic comparison... Wheel of Fortune..... But I do not watch Wheel...…. However I am a rate chaser at certain times every few years, then normality sets in again. Currently rate chasing.

Meanwhile, Ally has sent me 2 emails already, reminding me that I'm due for a bonus, as long as I keep my $$ with them through January!

It's like they're afraid people will take out their money in order to chase rates somewhere else :LOL:

They probably don;t want to deal with the angry "where is my bonus" calls from those that didn't read the whole offer and think it's like the Cap One that only needs the money to stay for a moment. Proactive damage control?

I am out of Ally dec 31st after they pay the div.
Happy to pay the 150 days interest and go elsewhere.
They were competitive yrs ago. And seem to be trying a little now.
But they are clearly behind the curve the last couple years.

I've actually appreciated the emails letting me know my status and reminding me of the future timeline.

I am out of Ally dec 31st after they pay the div.
Happy to pay the 150 days interest and go elsewhere.
They were competitive yrs ago. And seem to be trying a little now.
But they are clearly behind the curve the last couple years.

They aren't paying the bonus on Dec 31st, more like by Feb 15. They let you know your expected bonus around Jan 15 2019. You have to keep the funds there through Jan 15.

What is this bonus you speak of? My CD pays int. on Dec 31st annually.
Am not surprised though. They had better do something if they want folks to stay / show up.
They were leaders 3-5yrs ago. Then became more or less like a brick and mortar bank.
Concerning interest rates.

Last edited:
"If you're asking, then clearly you were behind the curve.

No bonus for you."

The bonus for new funds? Am betting they have not got any new funds in quite a while. lol lol

What is this bonus you speak of? My CD pays int. on Dec 31st annually.
Am not surprised though. They had better do something if they want folks to stay / show up.
They were leaders 3-5yrs ago. Then became more or less like a brick and mortar bank.
Concerning interest rates.

The Ally Bank no penalty 11 month CD is at 2.25% for 25k and above. One just has to leave the monies in for 6 days and can cancel anytime after that time frame without penalty.
Thus de facto this is effectively a substitute for an online savings rate for the most part and is thus competitive again.

Thats good I guess. But 2% sav. is easy to find, and 1 yr 2.8% CD is also easy to find.
Seems like they are playing little games to me though. And there 5 yr CD is up to a whopping 3.1%. I do know of $320k will be exiting Ally 12/31.. :)

Last edited:
Thats good I guess. But 2% sav. is easy to find, and 1 yr 2.8% CD is also easy to find.
Seems like they are playing little games to me though. And there 5 yr CD is up to a whopping 3.1%. I do know of $320k will be exiting Ally 12/31.. :)

Agree that their Cd rates are not at all competitive above 1 year. I only use them for online savings and soon to be for me no penalty CD.

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here

Andrews FCU has 8 mo CD at 2.84. Their 84 mo CD IS 3.45.
Eighty-four is too long for me.

Andrews FCU has 8 mo CD at 2.84. Their 84 mo CD IS 3.45.
Eighty-four is too long for me.

The 8 month deal is pretty good. Much better deals out there for 7 years.

Agree on the 8 month. It expires 12/31. They are STILL running a 9 month at 2.75! I don't think the 9 month end date is published. One per customer I believe.

Edit
Correction: the 8 month is 2.86 apy

Agree on the 8 month. It expires 12/31. They are STILL running a 9 month at 2.75! I don't think the 9 month end date is published. One per customer I believe.

Edit
Correction: the 8 month is 2.86 apy

Come 12/31 you will be able to get 2.75% for 9 months and 3.0% for 12 months all over the place.

"If you're asking, then clearly you were behind the curve.

No bonus for you."

The bonus for new funds? Am betting they have not got any new funds in quite a while. lol lol

I'd bet that they got a TON of new funds for this offer. They certainly got some from me. Extra 1% up to $1,000 just to keep it there from Nov 5th through 1/15/2019. Figuring 3 months makes this a 4% annualized bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom