Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Pushing money into Ally is not a problem. It gets credit immediately.

The problem is if you use Ally's ACH system. Ally's ACH system is generally 2 or 3 business days, unless you have satisfied their one-day ACH conditions.

Then I suggest pushing what you want to their high yield savings account, and funding a CD from there. The CD funding is immediate, same day.

Then I suggest pushing what you want to their high yield savings account, and funding a CD from there. The CD funding is immediate, same day.
I currently don't have any opened Ally accounts, so it will take a while to setup a push into Ally. Plus, the money is at Vanguard, which makes it even longer. Vanguard's ACH push takes at least 10 days to setup.

Hmm. We are going to fund our Ally Online Savings account for the 1% bonus using a Chase checking account. They are now both linked, and Chase says if I push on the 17th they will deliver on the 19th. Ally says if I pull from Chase today they will have it the 19th. Makes me suspect that if I pull on the 17th Ally may not credit till the 22nd - 3 business days. Not what I expected, I figured Chase would be real slow.

Hmm. We are going to fund our Ally Online Savings account for the 1% bonus using a Chase checking account. They are now both linked, and Chase says if I push on the 17th they will deliver on the 19th. Ally says if I pull from Chase today they will have it the 19th. Makes me suspect that if I pull on the 17th Ally may not credit till the 22nd - 3 business days. Not what I expected, I figured Chase would be real slow.
Would you try a mobile check deposit? I think it allows $50k each day and should be credited same day.

I was talking about funding a CD from the Ally high yield savings account in my post.

Have no idea about funding from Chase.

I did a pull from the CD at Ally today which I expect to see in an external account tomorrow, 17th, and if it happens like last time, the CD should credit me for a deposit on the 18th even though Ally says the 19th.

I'll keep you posted.

Sigh. I don't have much left sitting around (except some cash in the Northern Bank Direct 2.25% MM account) until my PenFed CD's come due in late December/early January..or I can sell some equities from a non-tax-deferred account. The 'trouble' with selling equities is that I have few losers left - which means capital gains considerations. [Note to self: The last time I big time didn't want to sell things because of large capital gains considerations was...um....early 2000. ]

Would you try a mobile check deposit? I think it allows $50k each day and should be credited same day.

Interesting thought. We do mobile deposits fairly often into our Discover account, maybe we'll fund Ally that way.

Audreyh1, I was jumping to your conversation regarding manner of funding and thinking funding various Ally product would all work the same way. May be moot anyway: we are selling some VACDX tax free municipal bond fund that keeps dropping in value. It pays dividends ok, but thinking to take a loss on the sale for tax purposes this year - Ally funding presents an opportunity. Chase is holding the VACDX to get our accounts up in private client range and when I tried to sell online today there was a glitch and their bond desk had to place the order. Not seeing sign of it executing yet, and if it isn't cash we can't move it to Ally. Still have some time.

I spoke to an Ally supervisor and she told me that the "sign up" period must be by the 21st, but the funding didn't need to take place until the 31st.

I currently don't have any opened Ally accounts, so it will take a while to setup a push into Ally. Plus, the money is at Vanguard, which makes it even longer. Vanguard's ACH push takes at least 10 days to setup.

I just did one, it took 1 day. I was quite amazed actually. Funny as I hear a lot of complaints about Vanguard (Various ones from CS to Transfer Times etc.) but have never experienced any of them personally, they have been great for me. I only have about $200k with them though at the moment. That will change in December.

I just did one, it took 1 day. I was quite amazed actually. Funny as I hear a lot of complaints about Vanguard (Various ones from CS to Transfer Times etc.) but have never experienced any of them personally, they have been great for me. I only have about $200k with them though at the moment. That will change in December.
Just to clarify: the 10 days I was referring to is the setup of a new ACH link at Vanguard. After the usual microdeposits, Vanguard will send you a snail mail and set a wait time of 7 or 10 days (can't remember the exact number). During this time, you can only use the new ACH link to transfer money into Vanguard; you cannot transfer money out.

Just to clarify: the 10 days I was referring to is the setup of a new ACH link at Vanguard. After the usual microdeposits, Vanguard will send you a snail mail and set a wait time of 7 or 10 days (can't remember the exact number). During this time, you can only use the new ACH link to transfer money into Vanguard; you cannot transfer money out.

Our initial setup took about 4 days, got a snail mail as confirmation, but had done some transfers by then. 1 week is not unreasonable when it comes to security and bank accounts. IMHO.

Ally Bonus Question

Does anyone know if I can move $ OUT of Ally now, enroll for the bonus by Sunday and then move the $ back a few days later and still qualify for the bonus? I recently had a CD mature from another institution and moved that $ to Ally before I learned about the bonus so was hoping I could do this and still qualify. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a JP Morgan FI product (MMF or short term CD) with a competitive rate? I received a great ‘points’ offer if I deposit $$$ with them but, some quick research found nothing attractive.

Does anyone know if I can move $ OUT of Ally now, enroll for the bonus by Sunday and then move the $ back a few days later and still qualify for the bonus? I recently had a CD mature from another institution and moved that $ to Ally before I learned about the bonus so was hoping I could do this and still qualify. Thanks!

I think it’s too late. According to the deposit accounts article and comments, funds removed after 10/8 count as withdrawals against any funds moved in by 10/31. And you can’t remove added funds until 1/15 either.

I think it’s too late. According to the deposit accounts article and comments, funds removed after 10/8 count as withdrawals against any funds moved in by 10/31. And you can’t remove added funds until 1/15 either.
Dammit. We recently sold our ATL home and had the proceeds wired to Ally. Was going to transfer that $ out, open two new Ally accounts (one for me and one for DW) and bring that money back in to get two 1K bonuses. Guess that plan is shot...

Dammit. We recently sold our ATL home and had the proceeds wired to Ally. Was going to transfer that $ out, open two new Ally accounts (one for me and one for DW) and bring that money back in to get two 1K bonuses. Guess that plan is shot...
When did the money reach Ally? If the money arrived at Ally on 10/8/18 or later, you are still good.

I opened an account at Ally, to take advantage of their promotion. Was extremely easy and smooth.

Another Ally Bonus Question

Thanks for your reply Audreyh1. Do you know if new $ is transferred to Ally for the bonus whether you can transfer old $ money at Ally out before the January 15 without losing the bonus?

I was talking about funding a CD from the Ally high yield savings account in my post.

Have no idea about funding from Chase.

I did a pull from the CD at Ally today which I expect to see in an external account tomorrow, 17th, and if it happens like last time, the CD should credit me for a deposit on the 18th even though Ally says the 19th.

I'll keep you posted.
Ally pulled the funds from my external account yesterday 18th. And today the CD shows as being funded.

So that was just one day.

Thanks for your reply Audreyh1. Do you know if new $ is transferred to Ally for the bonus whether you can transfer old $ money at Ally out before the January 15 without losing the bonus?

I don't think so. I think you pretty much are stuck leaving all funds at Ally until 1/15. They've made that pretty clear that any withdrawals until then will lower your bonus.

Ally pulled funds from my external account yesterday and they won't show up until Monday

Ally pulled funds from my external account yesterday and they won't show up until Monday

I wonder why the difference? Does your external account show the withdrawal occurred yesterday?

Ally said they would initiate the transfer on the 17th, and I suppose they did for their system, but the funds weren’t actually pulled until the 18th.

Yes it does, the 18th, but I know the reason why. The external account is new to Ally, so they needed some history of transactions before they drop the transfer time. This happened when I opened our Ally accounts earlier this year. It took about 2 months of transactions with our Bricks and Mortar bank (which I pushed and pulled intentionally in order to establish that history) to go from 3 days to one day. The accounts funds were pulled from yesterday, were at CapOne. I had set CapOne up as an external account with Ally last week when I opened the MM's that are offering the bonus. I was planning on establishing history with transfers, but had not done so yet when this offer came along. So Ally gets three days of float on my money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom