Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky Mountain Credit Union (RMCU) recently raised the rates on its long-term Share Certificates, with the 60-month (3.50% APY)

Here it is the first 4% CD (Limited funds though) $75k let us hope this is a trend.

Achieva Credit Union (Achieva) is currently offering amazingly competitive rates on its 60-month IRA/457B Plus (4.20% and 4.10% APY) and 60-month IRA/457B (4.00% APY).

Last edited:
Here it is the first 4% CD (Limited funds though) only $75k let us hope this is a trend.

Achieva Credit Union (Achieva) is currently offering amazingly competitive rates on its 60-month IRA/457B Plus (4.20% and 4.10% APY) and 60-month IRA/457B (4.00% APY).

If I'm reading their website correctly, the 4.20% rate has a $75K minimum, not maximum. If so, that's a great rate. Too bad it's only for retirement accounts.

It looks like it's only available to local Florida residents too.

OK, so trying to open a membership at Freedom CU has not been the smoothest process. I filled out a membership application online, waited four days and heard nothing. So I called them and found out they did not process my membership because I did not send them a copy of my membership certificate from the American Consumer Council, which I purchased for $8.00 to become eligible.

So I send them the certificate via email and wait. Then I call back and find out they need a copy of my driver's license. So I send that to them via email. Then I call a third time and speak to someone who promises me that a rep will call me back to follow up. But they still haven't called me back.

Nowhere in the application process does it inform me that I need to send the certificate and driver's license to them. Somehow I was just supposed to figure that out.

Hopefully next week will bring closure to this. It's a good rate, but a lot of hoops to jump through to get it.

I don't have a rate to post, but I did notice that the annual inflation rate for July 2018 is almost 3% - 2.95% to be more exact.

Using the loaves of bread method, those 3% CD's after taxes are not that great. Fewer loaves to eat in July 2018 than July 2017. Not so good.

IBond 2.52.... Change date it Oct. 13.

Some of my older bonds are still paying 6.0%

Last edited:
I don't have a rate to post, but I did notice that the annual inflation rate for July 2018 is almost 3% - 2.95% to be more exact.

Using the loaves of bread method, those 3% CD's after taxes are not that great. Fewer loaves to eat in July 2018 than July 2017. Not so good.

This.

It is the reason I usually chime in on the "I don't need to have any of my money in equities, I will never run out with it in CD's" threads.

Even if one has a 2% SWR, if CD's are yielding 3% and inflation is almost 3% AND you have to pay taxes on the 3% nominal, well...you can't assume a 2% SWR.

Short-term Treasury Bills continue to move up. The ones auctioned tomorrow (Monday) are expected to yield 2.05% for the 3 month (13 week) T-bill; 2.23% for the 6 month (26 week) T-bill. Those rates are quite a bit higher than available in 3 month and 6 month CDs.

Last edited:
Short-term Treasury Bills continue to move up. The ones auctioned tomorrow (Monday) are expected to yield 2.05% for the 3 month (13 week) T-bill; 2.23% for the 6 month (26 week) T-bill. Those rates are quite a bit higher than available in 3 month and 6 month CDs.

With Fed planning up to 3 more increases in next 6 month, best to stay short until the dust settles.

Pretty definite 0.25% on Sept 26 to 2.25%, and another 0.25% on Dec 19 to 2.5%.

So compare longer commitments to that 2.5% expected in a little over 4 months.

Last edited:
Was just on the Ally website--they have bumped (at least since I bought in June) their 12 High Yield CD:
2.10%Less than $5,000 opening deposit
2.25% $5,000 minimum opening deposit
2.40% $25,000 minimum opening deposit

VANGUARD TREASURY MONEY MARKET INVESTOR VUSXX

7-Day Current Yield

Initial Investment $50,000

Good call...I'll put in an order right now. After expenses almost the same. .16% vs .09%...
Right - you don't have to subtract the expenses from the yield. The yield is already net of expenses.

There is a very slight difference in risk. One is a government only MM fund, the other a Prime MM fund.

We dream of this becoming the norm....

Keesler Federal Credit Union Adds 7-Month CD, 5.00% APY ($1k Min) There does not seem to be a Max. Limited membership though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom