Daylight savings time begins Sunday at 2am

You go to work, it's dark, you get home from work, it's already dark again. It wears on you.

The obvious solution is to stop w*****g!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Three letters that ruled my life for over 30 years. Like to do away with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I would like to see the mountain and central time zones combined into 1 and without DST. It would make my Chicago/Phoenix transitions much easier.

Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

[/QUOTE]

Do cows have wristwatches:confused:?

I wish we'd stay on DST year-round (that is, just adjust all timezones 1 unit to the left). I much prefer having that extra daylight at the end of the day than in the morning. It's always depressing in the fall when we switch back to normal time. It was already getting dark too early, and then all of a sudden it gets dark WAAAY too early. You go to work, it's dark, you get home from work, it's already dark again. It wears on you.

I agree but I can still remember Britain's experiment with this in the late 1960's when they tried it out for 3 years. The problem with darker mornings is for children going to school. In the UK a lot of children still walk to school, and schools have always started later (8:30 - 9am) in the UK than where we've ever lived in the USA, partly so children are not walking to school in the dark.

I much prefer having that extra daylight at the end of the day than in the morning.

Isn't this one of the joys of FIRE?

I adjust my rising time as the days get longer - I love to see the sunrise. And I often sleep in a bit later in the winter.

If you control your time, you can align you activities to when the sun is up.

Anyone here from Indiana, the state which until a few years ago had the most screwed-up rules about time zones and its partial observance of DST. I don't live there but I am glad it straightened them out by the time I went there back in 2014.

I used to have friends who lived in the little town of College Corner, which is right on the Indiana-Ohio border. Just about everyone in town had two clocks set up in one room, for Indiana and Ohio time. The situation was confusing enough that even people who lived in the middle of it couldn't keep it straight in their minds.

I think this says it best:

This weekend is very stressful for those places open 24/7. Fortunately during the autumn they finally get an hour break.

Last edited:
Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

Do cows have wristwatches:confused:?

haha. Of course they do not have wrist watches. They do understand an extra hour of daylight. They are a diurnal animal, and sleep at night. After DST, they can sleep less, and by default, graze more. An extra hour of grazing adds a lot of weight to the animal. Even free-range chickens benefit from this.

Of course that extra light comes from somewhere, and in the winter when we have an hour less, it makes up for that time. Generally, farmers only have older animals in the winter, and they are fully grown.

For a fully grown animal, you want them to eat less, and the shorter day when DST ends then saves feed.

But of course, most people are not farmers, so they do not understand these sophisticated concepts.

Do cows have wristwatches:confused:?[/QUOTE]

I believe the poster was showing his contempt explaining the overreach of government
but yes Cows can tell time-if you ever saw the cows coming home on a dairy farm you would agree.

Anyone here from Indiana, the state which until a few years ago had the most screwed-up rules about time zones and its partial observance of DST. I don't live there but I am glad it straightened them out by the time I went there back in 2014.

I lived in Indiana for 30 years. The biggest problem was people that didn't understand we didn't change our time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I think this says it best:

Very good!

My Father was a farm boy, Mom was a city girl. Mom thought DST was for the farmers, Dad thought is was for the city folks.

Nobody wants it - why is it still a thing?

I've heard about the increased accidents in the week after the time change. That actually makes sense, between sleep disruption, and people rushing either because they are late, or think they are late - it adds up. So it's not just inconvenient, it's dangerous.

Why is it still a thing?

-ERD50

I lived in Indiana for 30 years. The biggest problem was people that didn't understand we didn't change our time.
That's an understatement. Indiana used to have three times zones - it was very confusing to conduct business/arrange flights!
  • 11 counties - 6 in NW Indiana near Chicagoand and 5 in SW Indiana near Evansville, Indiana observed the Central Daylight -Saving Time Zone.
  • 5 counties in SE Indiana near Cincinnatti observed Eastern Daylight-Saving Time Zone.
  • The rest of the state did not observe daylight savings until 2006.
Indiana "only" has two time zones now...

As a retired person - who cares... You wake up when you wake up... you go to sleep when you want.

That said - I have school age kids - so I do have to follow the DST ritual still....

As a retired person - who cares... You wake up when you wake up... you go to sleep when you want.

That said - I have school age kids - so I do have to follow the DST ritual still....

That's my philosophy now that I'm retired (minus the school-aged kids).

Once per month I volunteer at the firehouse fundraiser breakfast. I'm chief egg cracker, so I start at 6 a.m. to be ready for an 8:00 start. Breakfast is always the second Sunday...so the switch to DST will force me to get up extra early this month. But it's no big deal, since I can nap in the afternoon if necessary and/or sleep in on Monday.

That's an understatement. Indiana used to have three times zones - it was very confusing to conduct business/arrange flights!
  • 11 counties - 6 in NW Indiana near Chicagoand and 5 in SW Indiana near Evansville, Indiana observed the Central Daylight -Saving Time Zone.
  • 5 counties in SE Indiana near Cincinnatti observed Eastern Daylight-Saving Time Zone.
  • The rest of the state did not observe daylight savings until 2006.
Indiana "only" has two time zones now...

Three of the 5 SE counties are near Louisville, KY, which, like Cincy, is in the Eastern Time Zone and observes DST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

My first odd encounter with Indiana's odd time zones was back in the summer of 2001 when I was on a plane going from NY to Cincy. The passenger sitting next to me was connecting to a short flight to Indianapolis. Back then, Indy was an hour behind Cincy because Indy did not observe DST and Cincy did. But printed on his ticket, his 45-minute flight would arrive in Indy 15 minutes before it left Cincy (all local times).

My ladyfriend lived and worked in Louisville, KY, before she moved to NY 11 years ago. Sometimes, her work (for a doctor) had her traveling to his several satellite clinics in the Louisville area including several in Indiana north of those which unofficially observed DST. This caused some scheduling snags because those clinics were an hour behind her main office in Louisville and sometimes the patients actually lived in those nearby IN counties. Some patients mistakenly ended up waiting an hour for her group to arrive there.

In 2014 when she and I took Amtrak to Louisville (via Indy), we arrived at 5:30 AM on a Saturday morning in late June to wait 3 hours until the nearby car rental office opened so we could rent a car and drive just under 2 hours south to Louisville. It was only 3 hours because both cities had the same time in the summer. Had this been before 2006 when Indy was an hour earlier than Louisville (in the summer), we would have arrived at 4:30 AM and had to wait an extra hour for the rental car office to open only to instantly give that hour back when we crossed time zones again on the way to Louisville.

Years ago, I had an online chat friend who lived in New Zealand. They observe DST but being in the southern hemisphere, they move their clocks in the opposite direction from us in the spring and fall. And they don't move their clocks on the same weekends as we do. So, sometimes we would be 14 hours apart and sometimes we would be 12 hours apart. And for a few weeks in spring and fall, we'd be 13 hours apart. Made it tough to find each other on line sometimes. And another online friend, from China, never heard of DST because they don't change their clocks.

I think we are, as a society, just getting used to having midday at 1pm instead of 12 for most of the year. Stores and other places of business that used to open at 8 or 9 when I was a kid, now open at 9 or 10, similarly stop work times have shifted later. We can fool ourselves, not so easily mother nature. :)

I wish they would just abandon the whole concept of DST.

Me too. It's not natural. I can't stand getting ready for w*rk in the dark. Oh wait... 3 and a half months from now, that won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom