Do your relatives and friends know you are FIRE'd?

Why on earth would I try to hide the fact that I am retired?

Pretty hard to hide the fact you are retired? Why would you want to? Who cares what others think or even if they think?

Because sometimes it can be a huge pain. As I mentioned, in a large gathering, when you aren't yet 45 and you let these people know that you are retired, it can cause more discussions than you are comfortable with (especially when you are in introvert).

And why do others care if I care what others care about?!? You shouldn't care, right?! :cool:

And why do others care if I care what others care about?!? You shouldn't care, right?! :cool:

Maybe there's too MUCH caring in the world? Oh wait, that's called nosiness. :D

I am not in favor of lying, but I dislike trying to explain 15 dozen times how I am retired and my DW is not. So...to them, I was a consultant.

+1

I do aviation consulting. I haven't exactly been out looking for new clients, but no company has been able to afford my high fees yet. Anyone here can feel free to consult with me for my opinion on any aviation item.

I retired early. I have yet to have a conversation with anyone about it that was uncomfortable.

People will think what they think. I cannot change that. My guess is that it bothers them much more that it bothers me (not at all).

I do not go through life worring about what others will think about my lifestyle.
If I did, some of my in laws would drive me crazy. Life is too short for that...you simply have to keep moving forward and be content with yourself, your life, and your decisions.

I retired early. I have yet to have a conversation with anyone about it that was uncomfortable.

People will think what they think. I cannot change that. My guess is that it bothers them much more that it bothers me (not at all).

I do not go through life worring about what others will think about my lifestyle.
If I did, some of my in laws would drive me crazy. Life is too short for that...you simply have to keep moving forward and be content with yourself, your life, and your decisions.

Totally agree. Plenty of other things to worry about. Why add this to your list? Mountain out of mole hill.

Because sometimes it can be a huge pain. As I mentioned, in a large gathering, when you aren't yet 45 and you let these people know that you are retired, it can cause more discussions than you are comfortable with (especially when you are in introvert).

+1000

I left full-time work in my 30s to care for an ill parent who had what turned out to be a long, but ultimately terminal illness.

Didn't intend for the above to end up a de-facto ER, & so I'm not willing to share my current status with anyone but those that are close enough that they can't help but know.

I don't hide my retirement, but I don't bring it up unless asked directly (How is work?). My family and close friends all know. Both of my parents retired a bit early (army and civil service), so the concept isn't completely foreign. I just let everyone think I'm similarly constrained in budget.

If someone asks how I did it, I tell them "I figured I could do it if I were careful with expenses." I try to avoid financial details, especially with family members who I know are living in debt. I don't tell family my net worth, because most have no real understanding of the value of money. A million would be an impossibly large sum.

I used to try to promote the idea. Very few people have shown an interest in doing it themselves. I explain how to use the 4% rule based on spending. I try to teach how the numbers converge much more quickly if you can reduce spending. Almost everyone says they have too many "unavoidable" expenses, and it ends there.

It would be nice to have more peers, though.

Excellent thread, thank you.

I am still reading it, but msieweke's post comes closest to my situation (with the glaring exception that I am still pre-ER :blush: )

But, like msieweke, while I will not be shy if asked about retirement, I am (and always have been) much more reluctant to talk to family or friends about money.

I have a bro-in-law who is pretty frugal, but I don't get along well with him and so we don't talk that often. Unfortunately, most/all of the other family members either seem to be just getting by or are visibly living beyond their means. As msieweke mentioned, apart from my frugal bro-in-law, the rest don't seem to have any concept of the value of money and I think any discussion would likely be met with blank stares and/or resentment*.

I have engaged in some stealth education though with some of my nieces and nephews. Years ago, I purchased several copies of 'The Wealthy Barber' and gave them to those that I thought might benefit from reading it. I recently talked to a couple of nephews and had them read 'The Richest Man in Babylon'. To my surprise, one nephew called me recently to thank me for recommending the book. I was delighted because his dad is a spendthrift who has gone bankrupt once and shows no sign of changing.

(* I base this on my experience in going to law school at night. Rather than supporting me, or even keeping their opinions to themselves, a lot of my family members felt compelled to offer [-]insults[/-], oh, sorry, "joshing" about how I was a snob, too good for the rest of us, etc. :ermm: )

Fascinating discussion. I would think friends/family/acquaintances mainly would fall into two categories...

1) Those who understand how FIRE works
2) Those who do not

Group #1 would benefit from discussions about the topic. They'd be able to grasp and appreciate the planning and execution of it. This is a good group to talk to about your situation :)

Group #2 would be the majority of people, who are quite the opposite. They wouldn't appreciate and understand how a large sum of money can turn into freedom. Mainly due to a life of different kind of brain wiring, their life long interaction with money. People who don't plan ahead, or think like we do on this forum. To them... $1,000,000 is freedom, but their definition of freedom is not for the rest of their lives... it's focused on now. They compare their money to others based on what they have... which is why they are very confused about how you aren't working when you're seemingly living similar to them (off of a similar income range). We see $1M as $35,000-40,000 a year... they see it as getting that car, house, etc... These people might even think "hey, if you gave me half of that... we'd both be rich!" when really that's not true. Envy grows.... through lack of understanding. They simply wouldn't have the same plan you do with that kind of a sum of money.

Group #2 is best to avoid any discussion about FIRE... not necessarily hide from them but realize they will envy your situation rather than appreciate it.... when you don't want to loan them money, or give them gifts. Because in their "strategy" life is about spending what you have. It's gotten them to this point... so far.

Apples vs. Oranges.

Both groups contain plenty of awesome people, as well as rotten people. It's not necessarily a good thing to block #2 people from your life... but might me smart to obfuscate your methods for managing a situation where you don't work... so as to avoid the messy situation of shining a light onto the apples and oranges

In my office, there is a lawyer who is a graduate of Yale University (and of law school, of course). A very intelligent and very nice person. We have had discussions about preparing for retirement. She does contribute to her 457 plan and will have a pension, but she has no idea when or if she'll be able to retire, primarily because she has no idea of her spending. When I told her that I could account for almost every dollar I spent, she was totally mystified. I gave her the template for the spreadsheet I use for tracking, but she just will not make the effort.

she has no idea of her spending. When I told her that I could account for almost every dollar I spent, she was totally mystified.

If you still have checks left in your checkbook, you must be able to afford what you want, right?

I gave her the template for the spreadsheet I use for tracking, but she just will not make the effort.

And these are the people who despite having a good income may not ever be able to retire or will do so only when forced to by health or job changes.

I retired at 52 but it was from a public safety position where a high level of physical fitness is a job requirement and retirement in the early to mid fifties is the norm. Some, if they started very early, can retire in their late 40's.

The "gotcha" in that plan is a non-service-connected disability. In that situation you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle unless one had the foresight to buy private disability insurance for that type of disability. And how many folks in their 20's at the peak of health think to do that? Admittedly I got lucky on that score.

If you still have checks left in your checkbook, you must be able to afford what you want, right?

My ex saw this a different way....if we had a positive balance in the checkbook at the end of the month, there was still time for her to do some shopping.:D

My ex saw this a different way....if we had a positive balance in the checkbook at the end of the month, there was still time for her to do some shopping.:D

I think I was married to her sister, or at least a cousin.:LOL:

I have never tracked my spending and never will. I have never made a budget either.

But I am retired - :)

"Do your ... friends know you are FIRE'd?"
No. Only because I plan to FIRE 100% at age 70 next year. Seventy is early? Right?
Yes.They know how little I work now..
We all spend a lot of time on our front patio drinking beer and wine.
They know everything.

One member of the family used to think "If the ATM says I have money, I can write checks on it." For a while one of her largest expenses was bounced check charges.

Another member of the family thinks "If the credit cards aren't maxed out, I can afford to buy something for one of the kids." She's currently paying over $4000 per year in interest.

I don't hide the fact that I am retired, but I don't advertise it either.

A few months ago, I was traveling through Amsterdam on my way back to the US. All the passengers bound to the US were subjected to an interview before boarding their plane. I was asked what I did for a living. I replied that I was retired. It definitely raised the interviewer's eyebrow as I am only 43. He asked how I supported myself. I thought the question was impertinent, but the setting did not lend itself to a flippant answer.

I have never tracked my spending and never will. I have never made a budget either.

Same here. I have a pretty good idea of what I spend monthly nowadays because as soon as my monthly income comes in I immediately set aside about 30% in my money market accounts . But have I ever really tracked my spending? No, I haven't. I should have, I just never did.

At this point it doesn't look like I ever will track my spending. Also, I have never kept a checking account ledger either, but I know how much I have in it. There's something called online banking and keeping track mentally the amount you have. I guess it would drive some people nuts to operate like this, but it's so easy for me and it works well for me, so I will stick with it.

Last edited:

I too never tracked my spending. Obsessing over categories of spending period to period never seemed an enjoyable or needed use of my time. I spent my time either making money or enjoying life rather than tracking spending choices that were never a problem. The need for tracking anything in life, whether it be health habits, finances or other is to address areas you see need to change. My wife and I never had spending or saving problems/excesses so knowing that we spent x amount on utilities, y on food, x on travel/entertainment just wasn't a value added use of my limited time while working. We knew we were adding to our savings and weren't careless in our spending decisions. Right before my desired retirement age I did though squeeze back into my total annual spending by looking at net inflows vs. outflows in my banking accounts when I wanted to do the final sanity check/assurance that I was well positioned for retirement. I had always targeted an age (55) I desired to retire at vs. pursuing an earliest SWR retirement. Perhaps retrospectively I've worked longer than I needed to, but now rather than being concerned if I have enough to survive through retirement I'm more concerned about if I'm spending enough during retirement. Two trips and 5 weeks of travel in Europe and 2 weeks domestically is still not seeming to be enough, so I'm planning even more for next year.

Retired in 2016 at age 55

We never did either until finding this forum, when I tracked spending for a month with tightened purse strings just for grins. We had run calculators and knew what we had and what level of spending it would support (and early on DH said he refused to retire at that point to that low level of spending). Nest egg grew, a buyout offer came, and boom, FIRE happened. I keep close tabs on the nest egg and the bank accounts continue to grow, but we still don’t have a budget or an expense report. Not tracking one’s spending does not equal living above one’s means or spending every penny.

I don't hide the fact that I am retired, but I don't advertise it either.

A few months ago, I was traveling through Amsterdam on my way back to the US. All the passengers bound to the US were subjected to an interview before boarding their plane. I was asked what I did for a living. I replied that I was retired. It definitely raised the interviewer's eyebrow as I am only 43. He asked how I supported myself. I thought the question was impertinent, but the setting did not lend itself to a flippant answer.

We got similar questions coming back from Mexico a few days ago. They would ask pretty simple things (when did you get here?) and then shift it to something like (where did you go on your last vacation?). As I understand it, the line of questioning is designed to catch you off guard and give the interviewer visual cues as to your honesty or lack thereof...the Israeli model, I believe.

Only one person in my family cares my wealthy 92 YO mom. I send her our itinerary on every trip and well she has learned how to Mr Google cruises and tours we have been on. So now she knows how much we spend on travel, and even with all her money, she still says things like "Gee that wasn't a cheap trip."

Back
Top Bottom