Fishing. Someone Stop Me!

>1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

Yes, I have a great rod mount:

aWlPvyy.jpg

>2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?

I use a stringer. You can see a trout on the stringer in this picture. It's deeper than it looks (four feet?).

Aq3AST2.jpg

When I paddle, the fish is dragged behind the kayak. More fish torturing. It doesn't kill them, but it doesn't seem pleasant.

>English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian". I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Wonderful story!

I guess in S. Oregon you don't need to defend your catch (and your boat) against the Sea Lions now frequenting the Columbia River and eating our salmon.

I dug out the fly fishing equipment this year for the first time in a decade. I was catching native brook trout all summer. The flavor of the fish is so wonderful compared to the stocked ones. I'm hooked on fly fishing again....no pun intended. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I dislike the idea of catch and release. You leave that poor fish with a hole in its mouth! I keep imagining one of them going out on a date... can't look cool with your martini leaking down your chin. Poor fishy.

Catching to eat, on the other hand, yum!

But I don't fish, so what do I know.

Last edited:
I only kill a fish if it's big enough for the both of us. Mostly catfish and it's real tough to kill a catfish. I have to shoot them through the head with a pellet rifle to make sure they are dead before I skin them.

Karma. Please shoot me through the head before you skin me. Thanks.

I only kill a fish if it's big enough for the both of us. Mostly catfish and it's real tough to kill a catfish. I have to shoot them through the head with a pellet rifle to make sure they are dead before I skin them.

Karma. Please shoot me through the head before you skin me. Thanks.
I used to catch and eat a lot of catfish. A tool such as a large screwdriver through the head is very effective.

I have to ask, I've been lusting after a Hobie Angler as my solo craft. Any kayakers that have an opinion of the value proposition vs a cheaper standard paddler?

It's a great choice. Here's why I didn't go with something like that:

1. It weighs over 100 pounds. My canoe was only 55 pounds, and it was unwieldly to put on and off the truck.
  2. It's too long to fit in the bed of the truck.
  3. A sit-inside kayak is warmer in cools weather.
  4. My kayak was cheap ($320 on Craigslist + $100 for flotation bags, which enable me to self-rescue).

Are you kidding me, it sounds like heaven! Keep it up! Besides, everyone needs a good piece of bass once in a while!

;)

I dislike the idea of catch and release. You leave that poor fish with a hole in its mouth!

I realize you're joking, but I'm another catch & release fisherman (well, most of the time) and I use a barbless hook so it comes out easily and the hole heals up easily.

I'm looking forward to trying to wear out my boat when I retire. The last 2 years I have been lucky to get out 2 or 3 times due to w*rk demands. I like filling the freezer for the winter and to have a few fish fries for friends and family. Fish also makes a nice give away for the neighbors who like fish but don't have the chance. I have a close friend that retired almost 2 years ago and I get texts and pictures from him during the week showing the days fishing trip. He just does it to irritate me! Next year I want to be in those pictures on Wednesday afternoons fishing when nobody else is around. Much more relaxing and enjoyable than fighting the crowds on the weekends. Sorry Al, I would be a fishing enabler I guess.

You couldnt pay me enough to eat fresh water fish.

You couldnt pay me enough to eat fresh water fish.

You haven’t caught and eaten some of the incredible fresh water fish that I have then. This summers winner was a big rainbow trout caught in the icy and crystal clean waters of Georgian Bay, Ontario. Was cooked on two big cedar planks within hours of being caught and it was delicious. Fed 8 people.

I started fishing again this year after many years away from it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got to the lake and set that first hook in a nice Large mouth. I do catch and release because cleaning fish spoils the enjoyment for me. I do love to eat fish though. I have a young grandson age 7 that is going with me to fish. He is a natural it seems as he caught 8 fish in about 2 hours our first time out. He is now lure fishing because he thinks it is more fair to the fish... plus he kind of likes worms so not so big on feeding them onto a hook.

I won't try to talk you out of it, more likely to ask why you aren't going the other 4 or 5 days of the week. :dance:

VW

You haven’t caught and eaten some of the incredible fresh water fish that I have then. This summers winner was a big rainbow trout caught in the icy and crystal clean waters of Georgian Bay, Ontario. Was cooked on two big cedar planks within hours of being caught and it was delicious. Fed 8 people.
This girl tasted pretty great.

20171020_114615.jpg20171020_190036(0).jpg

Looks like a nice one. Just picked up b.o.a.t. From getting a new starter. Not enough people on the water to continue daring fate with the way it's been starting (or not) this summer. Talk about 1st world problems.

I'm primarily catch and release but keep a bunch of crappie once or twice a year. Hopefully find some white bass schooling tomorrow.

I am very fortunate to have one of the premier big smallmouth fisheries anywhere in my front yard. I go down 27 steps, punch a button and my boat lowers into the water.

We also keep a RV in the North Georgia mountains. I know of a trout stream closeby with 100+ trout of all kinds and none are under 10 pounds in size.

plus he kind of likes worms so not so big on feeding them onto a hook.
VW

When worms were working so well, I bought 250 European nightcrawlers, and I'm raising them in a worm bin (okay, a five-gallon pail). Kind of a fun hobby in itself and more tricky than I expected.

So that means I'm putting my babies onto the hooks.

Worms saved me from getting skunked today.

With the rains, the lagoon has risen so much so that this whole area is now underwater:

mvONZX5.jpg

Today I had to park on the road that goes to the beach.

vC4Bvsr.jpg

When worms were working so well, I bought 250 European nightcrawlers, and I'm raising them in a worm bin (okay, a five-gallon pail). Kind of a fun hobby in itself and more tricky than I expected.

So that means I'm putting my babies onto the hooks.

Worms saved me from getting skunked today.

With the rains, the lagoon has risen so much so that this whole area is now underwater:

mvONZX5.jpg

Today I had to park on the road that goes to the beach.

vC4Bvsr.jpg

I won't tell the Grandson about you hooking your "babies". It might give him nightmares!!!!

Water is sure high in the photos.

Between my wife and me, we caught 9 different species of fish (several trout) yesterday off our kayaks. She did better again :)

Wife: Lady fish, Red fish, Snook, Lizard fish
Me: Jack Crevalle, Sheepshead
Both: Trout, Pin fish

Nice.

The problem with raising my own worms is that ours is a low-carb household. Most of our waste can't go into the worm bin.

So you know what we do? You guys are gonna love this.

When we go to Costco, we get samples for the worms! Today, my worms are getting Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates, Lindt truffles, pasta with pesto, and chocolate-covered almonds.

I put all that in the food processor with some buns from Burger King, and mix it up. Party time in the worm bin today!

Silly completely novice question: I was under the impression going out alone for canoe & fishing like this is discouraged?

Or put differently: If I'd wanted to pick this up myself (being a novice), is that ok?

Silly completely novice question: I was under the impression going out alone for canoe & fishing like this is discouraged?

Or put differently: If I'd wanted to pick this up myself (being a novice), is that ok?

Yes, you can kayak or canoe by yourself..........I do it all the time. If you've never been in a canoe/kayak, however, I would certainly advise trying one out first, in shallow water where there is no safety issue if you do tip over or have another problem of some kind. Having an experienced kayaker go with you the first time or two would be helpful, also. And of course, always wear a life vest. I've been canoeing and kayaking since I was a kid, so I feel completely comfortable in either craft (I do prefer the kayak, though). I've never tipped my kayak over (it is very stable), but I don't go out in big waves or very windy weather, either. A few friends of mine go sea kayaking out in Lake Superior, and that is a different ballgame........the water is COLD, and there is a lot more wind, so they take even more safety precautions. I'm happy sticking to the inland lakes, or close to shore in the salt water bays - plenty of fish for me in both places, and the scenery is great, so no need to go elsewhere.

Between my wife and me, we caught 9 different species of fish (several trout) yesterday off our kayaks. She did better again :)

Wife: Lady fish, Red fish, Snook, Lizard fish
Me: Jack Crevalle, Sheepshead
Both: Trout, Pin fish

By the mix of fish species, I'm guessing you are in South Florida? We catch seatrout, sheepshead, and redfish along the Texas Coast, but I do love going to the Bahamas to fish for snapper, grouper, jack crevalle, and snook also :)

Back
Top Bottom