Fishing. Someone Stop Me!

Saint Joseph Sound near Dunedin. It's about half way down the west coast of Florida. There is a little inlet from the Gulf of Mexico between Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island. We've caught Spanish Mackerel, Popano, and others :)

My worms haven't laid eggs yet, so I have to figure out a SWR for them. I started with 250. I've been taking out about ten per week.

Silly completely novice question: I was under the impression going out alone for canoe & fishing like this is discouraged?

Or put differently: If I'd wanted to pick this up myself (being a novice), is that ok?

There are a lot of variables that make a difference. I'm at greater risk because the air and water are cold and if I got in trouble, no one would see me.

But I'm never far from shore, I have "dry pants" (no jokes please), and I've added flotation bags to my kayak. I've also practiced self rescuing.

Paddling.com will give you great advice, but be aware that they are going to tell you you need a more-expensive kayak, you need professional kayak lessons, you should see a doctor immediately, and so on.

Feeling sorry for the fish, maybe try fly fishing from your Kayak. More of a challenge and more exercise for you:D

Back
Top Bottom