Food & drink habits: maintaining discipline

OK, so I like good food, good beer, and good whisky. I have a routine now where I don't drink when I have to go into the office the next day, and I very rarely go out to eat on a weeknight because we have a high school aged child in the house. But once we're empty nesters, especially when we're retired, I'm concerned that I'll be going to happy hour every day, and even if I'm still tracking my calorie intake, I might slack off a lot. I exercise more when I am home, as we have an elliptical machine in the basement facing a TV, but if I don't have a routine I'm not sure I'll keep with it.

For those of you who have retired, what's your experience with your diet and vices after you retired? Have things changed, for better or worse?

My wife and I drink a LOT more after retirement. I had read stories of retirees becoming problem drinkers, and I thought, "Not me."

Funny, but we hardly drank at all before retirement. I knew that it reduced my good night sleep, and made me less focused at work. I knew I needed to be 100% committed to keep up with peers and survive layoffs. Despite stress levels, alcohol wasn't necessary to reduce stress. I preferred a good meal, some family quality time, and some TV. And on the social end, we didn't hang around with party folks, or go to bars. Life was mostly around family.

Then after we retired, seems like we were running with a different crowd, and socializing more. No stress, but why not have a drink or two? Sunday, no problems, we don't work. Who cares if you are a little hung over for that Monday tee time?

My wife got interested in bourbon, so now the shelves are stocked. Not unusual to have a couple. And the bottle of rum from our honeymoon lasted over 25 years! So yeah, things have changed.

We both recognize the problem. We have added a little discipline to our routine. We actually have to avoid a couple people who think nothing of drinking all day long.

On the eating end, it sure is easier to go out, and order a bunch of fattening stuff. Again, we are trying to enforce some discipline in our routines. Trying to eat a lunch we prepare, then a salad for dinner.

On the plus side, we are more active. So maybe the net affect is neutral.

I think there are three types of drinkers. One, drink when they are stressed out. Two, drink when they celebrate and socialize. Three, drink all of the time. When we retired, we jumped into category two, and it's a slippery slope towards category three. You are wise to be concerned and cautious. It's helpful if you have someone by your side that can keep you in line as well. :)

I guess some of us are just lucky. I've averaged two beers a day for well over 30 years. It's my normal intake. Sometimes three or even occasionally four, but sometimes one or even none. On average, two.

But I don't drink anything else. Some Scotch when I was younger, but never enjoyed it as much as others.

It's probably part of my ethnic background. My father started me on beer at the age of four. A shot glass full with dinner every Sunday. By the time I reached high school I could have a can of beer whenever I wanted at home. So the typical teenage binge drinking thing was never an issue for me. Beer was simply another food item.

Since we retired our diet has changed. Far less convenience foods, less frozen meat, less junk food, more fresh salads, more fresh meat (can shop fresh meat market daily if I want to), more cooking or less cooking...depends on the mood. We take turns most of the time but I have some specialties she would rather I take care of (generally anything that deals with fire and danger) aka..grilling, smoking, stir fry.

5PM is our Wine time. I gave up beer some years ago due to the residual sugar issue and the fact that DW was not much of a real beer drinker so we tried wine and are now committed wine snobs in training. We don't drink much of anything else and the redder it is the better we like it. Malbec and Merlot are our best friends at 5PM.

My weight has always been an issue for me and I can honestly say I have lost and gained myself a few times since FIRE. Some of the issue is genetic, some hormonal and some is lack of will power with some things. I have a very efficient metabolism so I can gain weight on a low calorie intake. Health issue; mostly joint related prevent a lot of vigorous exercise but I do ride a bike when I can and it helps keep me from becoming a whale. Otherwise, I watch what I eat and try to make good decisions.

The aspect of our lives most different from our working years is our meals. All meals are much more healthy than before FIRE and we make better food decisions now. We have the time to cook smart and we do most of the time. Eating out is rare as I find it hard to find good choices when we do that and it can get expensive pretty quick. We still do it a couple times a month unless we are traveling but not like when we were still working.

Don't hate me, but.... I have a medical opinion that I've lost too much weight. (This is deliberate changes in eating, mostly less meat and fewer carbs.) My sister the doctor told my BIL that when I was visiting them in July. I've dropped a few more pounds since. I'm 5'7" and sometimes the scale drops below 120. If I think about what I'd really like to eat to add calories, most of my choices involve thick coatings of frosting and since my fasting glucose was 109 and a1c was 5.7, I don't' want to go spiking my blood sugar.

But... I have a plan. I'm headed for my favorite B&B in Hermann, MO tomorrow for a long weekend. Typically that includes a lot of bicycling time on the Katy Trail but rain is predicted most of the time. I'm still bringing the bike. I'd hate to have a spot of clear weather and no bike. The B&B serves exquisite breakfasts- moderate portions, but with no regard to cholesterol. I just sent a note asking about maybe joining one of the evening dinners for an extra charge. I know it will be all couples but I braved that last year and managed conversations with the people nearby. The other activities include wine tasting nd beer tasting at local breweries and vineyards, and probably picking up a bottle of locally made wheat whiskey.

And then I won't weigh myself for a few days.

I've lost too much weight. (This is deliberate changes in eating, mostly less meat and fewer carbs.)

Doesn't make sense to me.
There are three basic macronutrients: protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
If you've reduced meat (protein) and carbs, that would mean you've greatly increased your fat intake. So weight loss is highly unlikely. I suspect you haven't tracked your intake as closely as you think.

Doesn't make sense to me.
There are three basic macronutrients: protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
If you've reduced meat (protein) and carbs, that would mean you've greatly increased your fat intake. So weight loss is highly unlikely. I suspect you haven't tracked your intake as closely as you think.

Not sure how that follows; less meat is generally less fat. Substitutes have been quinoa, bulghur, faro, etc. I don't eat anything fried, and cook mostly with cooking spray. I snack on nuts and enjoy cheese in moderation so I do get some fats in my diet, but I'm pretty sure calorie intake has gone down.

Food & drink habits: maintaining discipline

Not sure how that follows; less meat is generally less fat. Substitutes have been quinoa, bulghur, faro, etc.

No, you’re cutting mainly protein (meat) and substituting carbs. Probably ingesting insufficient fat (which is essential). That’s why it doesn’t make sense.

Don't hate me, but.... I have a medical opinion that I've lost too much weight. (This is deliberate changes in eating, mostly less meat and fewer carbs.) My sister the doctor told my BIL that when I was visiting them in July. I've dropped a few more pounds since. I'm 5'7" and sometimes the scale drops below 120. If I think about what I'd really like to eat to add calories, most of my choices involve thick coatings of frosting and since my fasting glucose was 109 and a1c was 5.7, I don't' want to go spiking my blood sugar.

But... I have a plan. I'm headed for my favorite B&B in Hermann, MO tomorrow for a long weekend. Typically that includes a lot of bicycling time on the Katy Trail but rain is predicted most of the time. I'm still bringing the bike. I'd hate to have a spot of clear weather and no bike. The B&B serves exquisite breakfasts- moderate portions, but with no regard to cholesterol. I just sent a note asking about maybe joining one of the evening dinners for an extra charge. I know it will be all couples but I braved that last year and managed conversations with the people nearby. The other activities include wine tasting nd beer tasting at local breweries and vineyards, and probably picking up a bottle of locally made wheat whiskey.

And then I won't weigh myself for a few days.

Come to Greece and have cheese pie for breakfast! Delicious but loaded with carbs from phyllo dough and fat from the cheese. Very filling though. And did I already say delicious?

I’m always pretty picky when it comes to food. Before I met my husband, I rarely ate steak and potato even. Now that I’m retired, I’m still a picky eater. But lately, we start to eat more greens due to my low LDL level, somehow I got lazy in my old age and don’t eat properly. So that’s helpful. Eat more bone soup regularly, not when we have a turkey carcass at Thanksgiving. My husband is on low carb and steak every night, he hardly gained any weight. We spent more than 2 months in Europe, with ice cream or gelato every day, lots of croissants, cheese, salami for breakfast and we barely gained 5 pounds. The secret is more walking and more frequent small meals. I drank alcohol or beer about 5 times max in Europe. Pretty good self control. You may ask what’s our reason for living. No beer, no wine, etc.. Those young adult kids we have. They still need guidance from their parents, even though they are totally financially independent.

Last edited:
I am going to get meself a cup of ice cream. The last time I had ice cream was 4 nights ago. I think it is safe to have another one now.

Ha, that is 2-4 servings, depending on how rich the ice cream is. 1/4 c is often the serving size of a rich delicious ice cream. No one has mentioned portion size in the analysis of weight loss.

Well, nobody told me, or perhaps they did but I forgot. So, I often have seconds. :eek:

Seriously, weight gain is not a problem for me, with BMI of less than 24. I do want to limit sugar intake, to keep my fasting blood glucose below 100. My wife does not eat ice cream, and just for me a gallon lasts about 2 months because i eat it infrequently.

Rich ice cream has better glycemic index than cheap ice cream, most likely due to the butterfat slowing down the absorption of sugar. Fine with me, as I like premium ice cream. :cool:

Well, nobody told me, or perhaps they did but I forgot. So, I often have seconds. :eek:

Seriously, weight gain is not a problem for me, with BMI of less than 24. I do want to limit sugar intake, to keep my fasting blood glucose below 100. My wife does not eat ice cream, and just for me a gallon lasts about 2 months because i eat it infrequently.

Rich ice cream has better glycemic index than cheap ice cream, most likely due to the butterfat slowing down the absorption of sugar. Fine with me, as I like premium ice cream. :cool:

I am keeping ice cream as a light of consolation in old age. I love super premium ice cream and will eat the whole pint without hesitation. I am self-aware enough to know that 1) I can't or won't control ice cream consumption but 2) I am disciplined enough to keep it out of the house. I last consumed ice cream in May, at my own retirement lunch.

But!!! I've proclaimed age 85, should I reach it, as UNLIMITED ice cream consumption. Something to look forward to.

I can only get three (3) servings from a carton of Breyers ice cream.:D

It all depends on what one's definition of a serving is. :cool:

All ice cream comes in single serving containers, no matter what size they are. [emoji41]

Back
Top Bottom