Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Chuckle. Sometimes, DW beats me. We started golf at the same time. That's my excuse. That and she appears to have more natural talent than I have. Golf god is not fair that way.
Golf w DW.

Last time She played was in a couples Scramble, can't follow your own shot. What could go wrong?

9th hole, 400 yd par 4 w ravine about 250 from tee. Use my drive just short of ravine, I can't hit next shot. Other guy tops it in ravine, his wife shanks in ravine, DW whiffs. So, Hers is the best shot.

Everyone in clubhouse after. Pro hears about "using a whiff", tells the whole group the story. DW never played again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Golf w DW.

Last time She played was in a couples Scramble, can't follow your own shot. What could go wrong?

9th hole, 400 yd par 4 w ravine about 250 from tee. Use my drive just short of ravine, I can't hit next shot. Other guy tops it in ravine, his wife shanks in ravine, DW whiffs. So, Hers is the best shot.

Everyone in clubhouse after. Pro hears about "using a whiff", tells the whole group the story. DW never played again.
LOL! DW and I play in scramble, alternate shot, and best ball club tournaments for fun. Men remembers when a smallish, feeble looking woman hits a surprisingly good shot, makes long putt, etc.. And they remind me of those every chance they get. Geesh.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #163

Quote:
Golf w DW.

"Playing whiff wife" versus "Playing wife's whiff."

Seems like such a small difference. But, as any man who's been married very long can tell you, small word differences are BIG to women. 🙄

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #164

Quote:
Golf w DW.

Haha, that's funny! My wife was in our work scramble many years ago, and they took photos of first tee shot. Admiring her photo, she commented what a nice follow-through she had. Agreed, but ball was still on the tee I will say she made the first five putts, though, and we won. We had her putt first just to see the line, and she drained five in a row!!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Been playing golf for 45 years and never played unless it was for money. It took a while to learn who and who know to gamble with but I caught one pretty fast.

I still play twice a week and yes we still gamble. You can get all the bets in our group of about 15 you want. $5 two down and any number ending in 3 and 1 on the last hole all bets are double. I have had good days and some not so good but overall this year has been good.

I still play pretty good for a person of 68 and can still hit it 250. Staying in shape and making smart bets is my story and I am sticking to it.
I do hit from the senior tees now and most of the par 5's I can hit irons to on my second shot if I catch a good drive. That sure helps. Can't win to much or you will have to give strokes
Old 11-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #166

Anyone else play in a Turkey Shoot this weekend? Seems to be a standard practice out here, each of the local men's clubs have a scramble tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving. Beside the normal cash prizes each participant walks away with a turkey so no losers.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #167

El Macero

I played El Macero CC yesterday as the guest of a friend who's a member. It's a great course; an easy walk (flat) & most do walk, true & fast greens, and lots & lots of bunkers. I didn't play well but, had a great time. The course seemed much harder than the rating/slope on the scorecard. Maybe it was just me having a bad day.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I played El Macero CC yesterday as the guest of a friend who's a member. It's a great course; an easy walk (flat) & most do walk, true & fast greens, and lots & lots of bunkers. I didn't play well but, had a great time. The course seemed much harder than the rating/slope on the scorecard. Maybe it was just me having a bad day.
Typically, when a CC member invites you to play at his course , do you have to pay for the round or is it a freebie?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay for my friends when they play at our CC. It is typically reciprocated if we then play together somewhere else.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We typically pay our own way. Playing with a member gets you on the course, typically lower rates and preferred tee times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #171

Quote:
Typically, when a CC member invites you to play at his course , do you have to pay for the round or is it a freebie?
It was free for me.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #172

Quote:
depends. I normally pay for my own green fees unless I've hosted him/her before at my club.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #173

Quote:
I am a CC member, and I am a member of FIRE. Any question?

No, usually we have a group that rotates to different courses and everyone pays their own way.

If I have a "special" guest, out of town for example, I'll host.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #174

Peacock Gap-San Rafael, CA

Played Peacock Gap yesterday for the first time in ~10yrs. They've recently completed aeration; greens done several weeks ago, fairways more recently. The greens we a bit slow but, pretty true; very acceptable considering the recent aeration. The fairways were passable but, we knew they'd just been punched so not a disappointment.

To my surprise, after reading lots of negative reviews, I was pleased with the course; good layout, not too long but, enough hazards that you have to pay close attention. Beyond that, all the staff is very friendly & helpful. I will definitely return.

My round was Mr. Hyde & Dr. Jekyll round. So, I'm not inviting that Hyde guy back next time; the b@st@rd can't get out of the sand.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #175

Played Bodega Bay Links yesterday; hooked up with a guy from Eureka, CA & two guys from Sacramento. Nice guys & a nice day, after it warmed up a bit & the wind died some. The course was busy; evidently Black Friday is traditionally a big golf day.

This "links-ish" style course is full of wonderful views, and lots of trouble for the unwary. Not many level lies to be found though.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448726511.937862.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448726539.933241.jpg

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Played Bodega Bay Links yesterday;
I have been eyeing to play this course for a while but never pulled the trigger. Will do it one of these days.

Working on proper hip turn and after a month of trying, I am getting the hang of it just in time for another scheduled lesson.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

As bad as I suck at golf, my score on a links-type course would be REALLY ugly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
As bad as I suck at golf, my score on a links-type course would be REALLY ugly...
I typically play much better on a links style course - very little water or OB
Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Our Thursday group played a high-end mountain course this summer that had no adjoining fairways... so you were either on your own fairway or in the woods. Add to that that many of the tee boxes had a long carry to the fairway and our scores as a group were 20% higher than the courses we typically play.

I think if we go there again that we'll play the forward tees.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I typically play much better on a links style course - very little water or OB

Ditto. My fairway hit ratio goes up usually.