Look what popped up on my Computer Today - Billy and Akaisha

C

Cut-Throat

On my AOL mail Screen!

Billy.jpg

Poster children... er ah... poster FIRE'ees :LOL:

AOL!? Didn't they go out of business because of all the free internet plans out there?

LOL! said:
AOL!? Didn't they go out of business because of all the free internet plans out there?

Don't know. - But I did see where they are 'free' now.

Thanks, CutThroat, for mentioning us...

It was a surprise to us too! It's not like they ask us or anything. :D Just makes us feel like a piece of meat!! :D :eek: 8) 'Course, Billy likes that! :LOL:

Working with the Media has been a fascinating experience! Life is so full of learning and new opportunities.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
It was a surprise to us too! It's not like they ask us or anything. :D Just makes us feel like a piece of meat!! :D :eek: 8) 'Course, Billy likes that! :LOL:

You are obviously handling it graciously and are used to the media attention -- but are you saying they ran a feature story about you, included your photo and specific information and data and did not even ask you for your permission to do so? Let alone an interview? :eek:

Wow. Chutzpah on their part. Good for you for taking it in stride. Hope it was at least accurate.

You are obviously handling it graciously and are used to the media attention -- but are you saying they ran a feature story about you, included your photo and specific information and data and did not even ask you for your permission to do so? Let alone an interview?

Wow. Chutzpah on their part. Good for you for taking it in stride. Hope it was at least accurate.

Thanks, Rich..

This is the same piece that Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine ran for part of their cover story: Make your money last FOREVER!

We don't own the story nor the photos. They don't ask us each time any of the Media pick it up (it has run several places and several times... ) We figure Kiplinger's is getting good mileage out of our fabulously motivating story information.

At this point, we are simply a commodity 8) - but since we actually do want to help people learn about FIRE, everyone benefits.

We don't get 'royalties' and they don't ask permission. Part of the fun and satisfaction for us is that 'everyone' said it couldn't be done... We are used to hearing that by now... :D :LOL:

Be well,
Akaisha

WOW!! I just saw that issue of Kiplinger's on Saturday while I was at the library cathing up on magazines that I won't pay for. When I saw the photo, I wondered if it was someone from here.

Too bad you don't get a residual for that, cause SOMEBODY's gettin' paid!

Billy said:
We don't own the story nor the photos. They don't ask us each time any of the Media pick it up (it has run several places and several times... )

We don't get 'royalties' and they don't ask permission. Part of the fun and satisfaction for us is that 'everyone' said it couldn't be done...

Hey, next thing you know, they will have you morphed into a commercial, selling vacuums as you dance with Fred Astaire, or selling Gap jeans with Hepburn...

:D

All kidding aside, you guys really do inspire others to investigate for themselves what their own options are, and along with Greaney (obviously in a different way!) are among the few on the 'ground floor' illustrating a new way for us boomers to consider our life plans.

Thanks!

jazz4cash said:
Too bad you don't get a residual for that, cause SOMEBODY's gettin' paid!
Well, then everyone would accuse them of being a shill for Kiplinger's or perpetual traveling or some other credibility-sucking sponsor instead of just ERs trying to set the example...

In my view, if I wasn't getting a tidy profit, I'd just as soon keep my ugly mug out of the press. I prefer anonymity!

HFWR said:
In my view, if I wasn't getting a tidy profit, I'd just as soon keep my ugly mug out of the press. I prefer anonymity!

Me, too. Just go about my business enjoying whatever I enjoy.

I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway ;).

After I started taking my pension 14 years ago, the local newspaper did a: "Where are they now?" piece and featured me on the front page of the business section as a partner in my new business. Aside from the 15 minutes of fame with family and friends, I mainly got 100s of sales people calling.

Lucky it was before the Internet!

DRip Guy
Hey, next thing you know, they will have you morphed into a commercial, selling vacuums as you dance with Fred Astaire, or selling Gap jeans with Hepburn...
All kidding aside, you guys really do inspire others to investigate for themselves what their own options are, and along with Greaney (obviously in a different way!) are among the few on the 'ground floor' illustrating a new way for us boomers to consider our life plans.
Thanks!

Those images in my mind are pretty funny..! and you are very welcome! Thanks for your kind words. Billy and I like having options. The feeling of being stuck is very uncomfortable to us... hence, we have searched for other ways of doing things.

Nords
Well, then everyone would accuse them of being a shill for Kiplinger's or perpetual traveling or some other credibility-sucking sponsor instead of just ERs trying to set the example...

Haha.. Billy and I were talking the other day and we concluded that we get 'accused' of things all the time. We're selfish good-fer-nuthin's because we don't have children, or don't have jobs, left the system while other people have to pay down their $30,000 in credit card bills, or whatever the 'slam du jour' is... We figured 'you're nobody til you get hate mail...' ;)

HFWR

No doubt, it is a big decision to go public with one's story. There are drawbacks... and actually, Billy and I are both introverts. Go figure.

We take the approach that keeping our website current offering all the free info is our volunteer time. It's our service to the public. We can do this service from anywhere in the world... so we don't have to change our slippers if we don't want to.

Rich:
I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway

I understand, Rich. We're not trying to 'show anyone the way'. We don't care if anyone retires or not. They can run up their credit cards or have a large mortgage or own 7 vehicles. Our lifestyle isn't changed any by their decision one way or the other. Like I said above, Billy and I figure it's our volunteer service. People can take it or leave it. No biggie.

But we sure have met some great folks! And that has been the fun of it.

Plus, 'everyone' said it couldn't be done. We couldn't own a restaurant, Billy couldn't become a stock broker, we couldn't retire early, and we couldn't write a book. We weren't 'well connected' in the media and it would flop, etc. etc. etc.

It's not that we're special. Anyone can live the life they choose if they set their minds to it.

Be well,
Akaisha

I think that Billy and Akeisha represent the Robinson Crusoe of our generation - doing what nobody thought was possible and being successful at it. As for the residuals from the press, hopefully it will pay off in increased book sales and more personal appearances.

Of course that will work against their primary purpose but such is the challenge of fame!

(Been there done that got the t-shirt.)

Thanks, Kcowan! We appreciate your support... 8)

CNN called us the other day and we are to be interviewed LIVE on Television this Saturday evening, January 13, 2007, 10 pm E.S.T. on The Newsroom with Rick Sanchez.

Just FYI...

I hope I can remember my name! :eek: We won't be speaking to anyone in the recording room, only to a camera. It will be for a big 5 minutes, but hey, it's a first (!)

Wish us luck!

Be well,
Akaisha,

Akaisha, I know you'll do fine, but good luck anyway.

I'm a frequent visitor to your and Billy's website and derive much inspiration from your spirit and approach to early retirement and life itself. You also offer a lot of good tips and insight about early retirement.

Although I doubt that I will be a perpetual traveler myself, I admire the way you have lived your life creatively, not only in the sense that being creative applies to being an artist, but in crafting a life outside the mainstream, "outside the box".

I've heard the long radio interview posted on your website and you both are very good speakers. I also think you have a very nice speaking voice, Akaisha.

flipstress said:
Akaisha, I know you'll do fine, but good luck anyway.

I'm a frequent visitor to your and Billy's website and derive much inspiration from your spirit and approach to early retirement and life itself. You also offer a lot of good tips and insight about early retirement.

Although I doubt that I will be a perpetual traveler myself, I admire the way you have lived your life creatively, not only in the sense that being creative applies to being an artist, but in crafting a life outside the mainstream, "outside the box".

I've heard the long radio interview posted on your website and you both are very good speakers. I also think you have a very nice speaking voice, Akaisha.

Hear, hear -- whether they set out to do it or not, they really do have the demeanor to both explain and illustrate by example a way (not necessarily the way, just as they say) to achieve Financial Independence and Early Retirement.

Thanks, Flipstress and DRip Guy, both of you!

We do appreciate your support. :D

And that is exactly right. We don't believe that we have the way, only that there are choices. Find the ones that work for you.

We are very aware that this media attention has a shelf life and we are replaceable at any time. We cannot be attached to it. Our main message is that 'You can do it too!' and 'Don't let anyone put you in a box described by their expectations.'

This is your life. The happier people are with their lives, the happier the world is, you know?

Happy and contented people tend to treat others with more respect. Everyone wins. 8)

Thanks again...
Be well,
Akaisha

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I've long gotten over trying to "show the way" to the rest of the world. Maybe an occasional individual here and there, enjoy some camaraderie in person and on boards like this, but as for the rest... they'll probably ignore me anyway ;).

Amen to that. For me it is just basic modesty. I can see plenty of flaws in the way I do things, but at least I have only myself to complain to if it doesn't work out.

I don't like to walk along in the open; I feel much more comfortable along the edge of the forest.

My wife says the only I won’t do is teach anything.

Ha

Headline:

Snowstorm blows Kaderlis off CNN! :eek:

Look for them possibly next week instead!

sigh... when the weather can take precedence over an Early Retirement puff piece -- what's the world coming to?

They are still picking us up in 10 minutes, but it will air some other time... stay tuned... :D

Akaisha

Hi BGF,

We just got back. They sent a driver to pick us up 3 hours earlier than planned and he drove us into Phoenix. Went into a little studio where they hooked us up to mikes on our clothes and ear phones in our ears. Fortunately, the workers there were very approachable and 'real' people.

We only taped tonight. To be aired sometime later (next week?) We were bumped off due to the snowstorm that is crossing the country and making a mess of things weather-wise... Plus a man found his two missing sons (one was missing for 4 years) so that drama is much more appealing than our puff piece would have been. :D Totally understandable..

IMO, the interview started off slow, but I think we were able to bring it back 'round. Talking to a disembodied voice and only a camera is odd. To be honest, the people in the studio were easier to speak with, and they asked more down to earth, easy-to-respond-to questions... We sort of got 'stuck' in the beginning of the interview with Rick Sanchez.... Hey, we aren't professionals, and we learn from each experience.

If you want some laughs, check us out when it airs. See us both look like deers stuck in the headlights on national TV. :eek: :LOL:

We'll let you know when they let us know!

I don't like to walk along in the open; I feel much more comfortable along the edge of the forest.

Ha, I do understand. I have a side to me that is like that too -- I like to 'disappear' especially at large parties or in big crowds. I blend into the walls... have a private conversation, and I like that. However, that being said,... it does take courage to stand out in the open and get those arrows that are shot. That's sort of where we are now... :LOL:

Back in the olden days... when monkeys were still in the trees and had to go across the savannahs to search for food (leave the forest for out in the open) this is how they eventually learned to walk upright, use tools, make executive and selective decisions and our frontal lobes grew... :eek: soo... :confused:

Courage, mate!

Be well,
Akaisha

Billy said:
We sort of got 'stuck' in the beginning of the interview with Rick Sanchez.... Hey, we aren't professionals, and we learn from each experience.

If you want some laughs, check us out when it airs.

I suspect you are being too modest.

I am quite familiar with Rick Sanchez from his days as a local (hyper-sensationalistic) reporter in So Fl, and his style seems unlikely to mesh well with your own message, intent, and style. He comes from a 'gotcha' type mold, something like Geraldo.

That said, though, with what I have seen of your calm cool way of trying to describe what has worked for you, and what can await others with a similar willingness to explore their options, I'll bet it did turn out fine.

:)

Thanks, DRip Guy... :D

Since they did the taping that evening, they will have time before we air and we are hoping that they utilize some photos we sent for distraction off our wide-eyed misery... :LOL: :LOL:

Rick Sanchez came on the ear piece line and started speaking Spanish with us, singing and acting kind of 'strangely'... :confused: It simply took us off guard. It was hard to 'connect' with him as an interviewer. It seemed to be very much about him and I understand what you mean about the 'gotcha' attitude... but once we 'got it' we made the most of it.

We'll see what goes --

Thanks again for your encouragement...

Be well,

Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom