Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #13281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Decided today I may look into getting some suspenders.

I'm too fat for my slim pants and too slim for my fat pants. My pants keep falling down when I exercise.

I exercise at home so no one has been blinded by my mishaps.
Pics or it didn't happen...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #13282
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Pics or it didn't happen...
Ok..ok....I hear ya. Here's a pic to prove I'm considering suspenders....

Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #13283

Spent about an hour on the phone closing out a small IRA with just under $6k in it (rollover from my last job's 401k I started just for the match). One less thing to do later on or leave for DW to deal with. Note to self: Never deal with Merrill Lynch again!

All I wanted them to do was close the thing, take out the taxes that were going to be due and send me the check. It shouldn't be that hard!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #13284

Bought the ingredients for my super bowl chili. Made some progress on the cabinet I'm building for the ladies at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 6.00.17 PM.jpg (424.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #13285
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting, always used a square when glueing up, never thought of a jig for doors, etc.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #13286

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterbill View Post
Interesting, always used a square when glueing up, never thought of a jig for doors, etc.
I saw the jig idea on the internet a few days ago - works pretty well. I always used a square too, but the jig provides something to square the work piece against while clamping. And I think it will improve consistency when I have multiple pieces that are the same
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #13287
Recycles dryer sheets

Studied topography maps and plotted out the hike we're doing tomorrow with our wilderness training class. It looks to be 15 miles RT, with about 4,000 ft of elevation gain. We're some of the oldest in the class, but we're also some of the fittest.

Pizza and beer when we're done you can be sure!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #13288
Give me a forum ...

Last night I awoke to the sounds of an intruder trying to get into the house. I woke up my husband and we opened the back patio drapes, and sure enough there he was, standing right outside the back patio door, armed and extremely dangerous looking. We had a brief stare down, and he decided to slink off into the darkness of the night.

Luckily I got a good description of him: about a foot and a half high, big fluffy tail, adorable little face and long white stripes running sideways across his body.

One of my neighbors has trouble with racoons in her garage going in through the cat door and eating the cat food, so I guess the skunks are looking for pet doors, too. The garage pet door was locked, but I suspect he was banging his head against it trying to get in and that is what woke me up. We'd been thinking of getting a patio dog door, but now I don't think we can. I wouldn't want to risk a skunk coming in and spraying in the house. It was bad enough when the dog got sprayed outside and then came back in the house.

Other than that I went to a library books sale and bought a couple of bags of books, including Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, and assorted how to hobby books - poker, yoga, tie die, crepes, pasta sauces and a bunch more. Tonight I am going through them seeing which ones to keep and which ones to donate back. They are only a $1 and the money goes to the library, so I buy extra and then donate some back after a more detailed sorting at home.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #13289
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today is the 7th anniversary of my retirement. It's 11 degrees and a north wind gusting to 30 mph so I have stayed in and cleaned my apartment and done laundry. I am ready for a cocktail and some mindless TV programs.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #13290
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Put laundry on the line, helped my friend clean fish and feed the scraps to the gathering of birds, made a trip to the grocery store, made some plans concerning thing to do and buy short and long term.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #13291

Played 18 holes this am. This afternoon watched the Phoenix Open while I put a crock pot of Colorado Green Pork Chili together for tomorrow's game.

Go Broncos!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #13292

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Played 18 holes this am. This afternoon watched the Phoenix Open while I put a crock pot of Colorado Green Pork Chili together for tomorrow's game.

Go Broncos!
People here in VA don't know what green chili is. A batch sure would be great for the game!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #13293

Worked my first kitty adoption fair yesterday as a volunteer for a local adoption agency, and am putting in a half shift this afternoon. It's good to get out for a few hours, hang out with kitties, and chat with people. Another side-benefit of doing this is that it got me to thinking that I'd quite like a nice low-stress job paying maybe just a bit over minimum wage, to earn some extra pocket money. It's nice not thinking in terms of career anymore. Whether I'll actually get around to looking for such a job is another matter though.....!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #13294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Another side-benefit of doing this is that it got me to thinking that I'd quite like a nice low-stress job paying maybe just a bit over minimum wage, to earn some extra pocket money. It's nice not thinking in terms of career anymore. Whether I'll actually get around to looking for such a job is another matter though.....!
That happens to me once in a while too. Then I go take a nap until I feel better....
Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #13295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That happens to me once in a while too. Then I go take a nap until I feel better....
That's how it happens here too.

The box of wine in the fridge and my Netflix subscription aren't exactly helping matters either
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #13296

Was offered a music consulting gig the other day by an old work colleague. It's the same area that I used to work in, and I'm perfectly capable of doing it, yet I politely declined. I indicated that if it was a sizable contract, I might be interested but didn't hear back. When I was younger, and hungry for work and experience, I would have jumped at it. Still wondering whether I should have at least asked for some more info, but it didn't sound like a particularly well-paid gig.

I feel like a bit of a diva for being so picky, but then I look at my cat curled up on the sofa, and sleeping soundly. She never seems to second-guess her decision to live life completely on her terms, so why should I?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #13297
Moderator Emeritus

I just received the lease renewal form for my apartment. My neighbors told me that their rent went up 15-20% this year and rents are up quite a bit in the city in general, so I was bracing for some bad news. But surprise, my rent is only going up 1%! Woohoo! So I signed the form and quickly returned it before they changed their mind.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #13298

Went out with DW to get some immunization shots. It seems recommended practice to have every one who even might come in contact with a newborn to get them for pertussis and diphtheria. We also asked them to throw in tetanus since we couldn't remember the last time we had that one.

Took some pictures of the ice on the railing and neighbor's tree.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #13299
Moderator Emeritus

I finished my 6 Meter vertical dipole antenna project. That meant that I now had to get it up in the air. So...

I lowered the shortwave antenna array, pivoted the center mast to the ground, and attached the new antenna. Raise the mast, raised the shortwave array, and hooked the other end of the antenna cable to the equipment.

Now, if only there was another station on 6 meters... (picture attached for REWahoo so he knows it happened.)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #13300
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
(picture attached for REWahoo so he knows it happened.)
Thanks, I get the picture.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread