what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my retirement.

Such a great feeling!
Congratulations, and may you have many more decades of it. A lot of us actually appreciate your input.

In a few months, I'll be at the 14th anniversary of my ER, so I can relate.

I do recall being slightly euphoric - and apparently grammatically challenged to boot...

That's allowable! You were pretty excited. :D Me too, on the day I retired. That was one of the best days in my life. Probably the same for you, too.

:dance:

Found out today that the Pickleball tournament I played in last weekend has liability insurance to pay for injuries sustained while playing. And what they don't cover the player's association "USAPA" will pick up the balance with only a $1,000 deductible.

I messed up my knee pretty bad playing singles and am seeing an orthopedic surgeon on Monday. It's a relief that I won't be out of pocket any money to get it fixed (if surgery is needed, which is likely).

Gonna be hard to sit on the sidelines for awhile but it's better to get it taken care of now than risk it getting any worse.

I got up earlier than usual to get my teeth cleaned and then found out my dentist doesn't come in until the afternoon so I have to go back so he can look at my pearly whites. The hygienist was scaring the hell out of me - "did you know your front tooth is loose?" "I see a fracture line back here." All I could see were $$$$$$$$$$$!

Bought a huge bag of cat food, the little buggers seem to clean me out of food very quickly. Got some Mexican crema to make fish tacos for the very first time.

I got up earlier than usual to get my teeth cleaned and then found out my dentist doesn't come in until the afternoon so I have to go back so he can look at my pearly whites.

You don't need an appointment to get your teeth cleaned:confused:?

I did have an appointment but the receptionist thought I was with the other dentist. I fully expected to see my dentist in the morning. It all worked out. I'll be getting a mouth guard next week.

Walked the dog on the beach early this morning. Saw a pair of dolphins kind of hanging out near the surfers. Sweet.

Then went to the kids school and volunteered to hear the 8th grade IB portfolio presentations. Some of these kids were pretty darn impressive. (My older son presented later in the day - so I didn't get to see his.) I'm going to do a few more hours tomorrow.

what did you do today?

Working in the yard and putzing in the shop, and winding down the day watching Jimmy Buffet live from Houston on the net. Margaritaville TV | Concerts and videos from Margaritaville and Jimmy Buffett :: Live Broadcast

Ha! DW and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. T-shirts $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Ha! Daw and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. Thirst $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....

Was that you in the foam sharkfin hat? :LOL:

Really got a kick out of it when the cameras panned the audience, looked like a bit of an older, uh - I mean people my age there! LOL And it sure looked like they were 'accomplished professionals' at the art of enjoying themselves. I would kind of like to make it to one of his live shows someday, bet it really is a hoot. Key West maybe...

Was that you in the foam sharkfin hat? :LOL:

Really got a kick out of it when the cameras panned the audience, looked like a bit of an older, uh - I mean people my age there! LOL And it sure looked like they were 'accomplished professionals' at the art of enjoying themselves. I would kind of like to make it to one of his live shows someday, bet it really is a hoot. Key West maybe...

You will have a great time, especially people-watching.. quite the cult event. Here's a few pics from last night...

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 32
couple more Jimmy Buffet concert pics from Houston.. Tailgaters were hosting creative contests and giving away shots and beads and trinkets..one contest was the 'bra toss'..everyone was super friendly and having lots of fun. I will try to post a video that my wife took of a couple of guys having way too much fun...quite entertaining..

oh, and Buffet put on a great show too :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 26
I love this RE life. DH is upstairs editing a recording for the CD his big band is producing this fall. I hear the tones of big band trumpets from his computer.

DS is home from college and has received a callback from a local job opportunity in his major field. He is in the basement working on an original song on DH's synthesizers. I'm preparing shrimp for the BBQ and looking out at the pool that will keep me entertained as the veggies, pasta, and Asian BBQ shrimp cook.

After dinner DH and I will play music together.

It's been a wonderful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have set a new personal record for staying in bed...2 days straight. :LOL:

I developed aches and pains from head to toe as if I had done too much physically, and felt chilled. I usually experience hot flashes (menopausal) followed by a chill, so I didn't think much of it. But when the aches set in, and my appetite dropped like a stone, I knew I had a stomach bug.

I just took my temperature...101.2F. Damn! I popped some aspirin and am drinking fluids to beat the band. I have been able to drink a chocolate Boost each day for nutrition, but the nausea makes that tough to do.

Funny thing is I don't remember being around anybody who was sick. I didn't eat anything unusual. All I can do is tough it out and control the fever with aspirin, and maintain fluids.

I'll spring back in a few days...:)

I love this RE life. DH is upstairs editing a recording for the CD his big band is producing this fall. I hear the tones of big band trumpets from his computer.

DS is home from college and has received a callback from a local job opportunity in his major field. He is in the basement working on an original song on DH's synthesizers. I'm preparing shrimp for the BBQ and looking out at the pool that will keep me entertained as the veggies, pasta, and Asian BBQ shrimp cook.

After dinner DH and I will play music together.

It's been a wonderful day.

I love this ER life as well. At five'ish years in, it finally feels completely comfortable and normal. I have to remind myself that my official title is still ER'd when asked, because ER is no longer my first thought. My first thought is whatever I've just completed, or am about to do - "Oh me? I hike many miles a week. I travel months at a time. I indulge my passion to spend time with my grandchild. I decorate. I study Spanish, Shakespeare, wine, art, fill in the blank _____."

Yes, it's truly wonderful.

Yesterday I spent the morning with my 7 month old grandchild teaching her to stand up from a sit with assistance. She loved it! Drove home in the early afternoon and promptly took a nap. Afterward, showered and got prettied up to enjoy the rest of the day with my husband. We enjoyed a glass of wine together, then went out to do some grandbaby shopping, followed by wine tasting at our favorite wine store. We next had an outside patio dinner at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant, then moseyed back home to watch one episode of Chef's Table on Netflix. Tempted afterward to make reservations at one of the restaurants featured, but the verdict is still out on whether that interest would translate to being willing to fork over $300-$400 per diner.

DW took both DS to see her parents for the weekend - perfect for taking the kitchen sink 'off line' for the weekend so I can caulk it.

I hate caulking. Got the old icky blackening caulk out, cleaned, disinfected, dried with a blow dryer - feeling cocky about how great this was going.

Then got to the part I hate - the actual caulking which I suck at.

It always looks like a drunken pre-schooler drawing with crayons out of the lines in a scribbly mess.

And, it's a race against time to attempt to straighten and even the lines out before it starts to set.

Looks like c**p, but it's done.

Must have used up a whole roll of paper towels, a pile of clean rags and still managed to get it all over my hands, my shirt, the counter top.

I'm toast....gonna crack open several cold adult beverages and crank up some music while doing nothing on the back patio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom