Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #14821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Might as well be Greek.

True. But they have that little Cubby logo and it's fun to go and watch. Nobody thinks they'll win.

But one day they may! Hope springs..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #14822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Celebrating the sixth anniversary of ER as a couple. Every day an adventure!
Congratulations to you and Mr Bestwifeever Besthusbandever!

Lovely avatar btw.....

Old 08-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #14823

Took the dog for a walk on the beach. Watched a bunch of videos to learn the different programming interface for the Mindstorm EV3. (I coach my sons FIRST Lego League robotics team - and we upgraded from NXT to EV3 this year.) Helped DH demo and put in an upstairs window. First of 5 he plans to do this week. That window is in - now he just needs to trim it out.

Older son is at basketball practice, younger son just helped me make black bottom cupcakes - which are now in the oven. The house smells amazing.

I plan to do NOTHING this afternoon.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #14824
Moderator Emeritus

Pulled the leaking radiator on my VW Jetta diesel. All plastic frame and aluminum fin stock and tubing. Cheap, light and a sorry product. Leaked at tube about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom. Car only has 155,000 on it and is maintained to the 10's. It was 100 F out and maybe a bit cooler in the garage, but I was soaked to the skin after I pulled it.

Now to wait for the new one.....$346.00 at the local parts house (has to be ordered). Online at a German import retailer is $140.00. Both are probably Chinese knockoffs. (OEM from the dealer is probably made in China also and probably $500)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #14825

Replaced squeaking alternator belt on Jag. But first must remove AC deive belt. 1/2 hour.

Did some branch management. Stacked branches from recently cut tree.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #14826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Congratulations to you and Mr Bestwifeever Besthusbandever!

Lovely avatar btw.....

+1
Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #14827

Went to church, ate breakfast out, rearranged photo studio in basement and made a big(ger) mess. Got ancient photo printer running - now have to order new cartridges. Played with new camera (reason I'm reassembling old studio)...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407724377.198953.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #14828
Give me a forum ...

Got our property reappraisal from the county, and the value dropped nearly 9% since the last one, three years ago. That will mean a small reduction in our tax bill next year.

So at least where we live, there has apparently not been much of a rebound.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #14829

Finally got basement in order. Can call it a studio now lol.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407776331.512075.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #14830
Give me a forum ...

Lost several hours of my life dealing with AT&T. I've kept a basic land line service and DSL service going at a reasonable cost by calling "customer retention" yearly and negotiating a lower rate. Now they have had enough of landlines and DSL and insist that I move to a cable internet and VOIP phone to continue to play. So I grind them down to a decent monthly rate with no installation charges, but check my order on-line to verify and there is a $99 installation charge shown.

Spent the next 2 hours talking to various drones on several continents that claim there is no way to simply call the person that wrote the order to verify that the $99 charge is in error. "No sir, we cannot call that person" Really? You're the friggin' phone company! So I called back and said, OK, cancel the order and let's renegotiate. Miraculously I had the original person that wrote the order on the phone in minutes.

Oh and by the way, cost for just internet, no phone? Same price, but slower download speed.

Installation next Thursday, more anecdotes to follow.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #14831
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walked the dog on the beach in the AM.

In the PM read a book aloud for an hour. I recently learned that our town has a "radio station" that reads newspapers and books to people who are blind or otherwise incapable of reading. Went for an audition a few weeks ago and have been put on as substitute news paper reader (live broadcasts) and book reader (recorded). So far I've done one substitute reading of the NYT and one of WSJ. Just started recording the book today. Pretty interesting volunteer gig.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #14832
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I recently learned that our town has a "radio station" that reads newspapers and books to people who are blind or otherwise incapable of reading.
I did that for a number of years when I first retired. Broadcasting is on a subcarrier that requires a modification to a "normal" radio, but they provide them to their clients. Had to go in to the studio to do the live reading, which was a hassle.

Then I found another service they provide as an adjunct to the radio reading service. It's called PTP (Personalized Talking Print). I had a regular gig reading the Wall St. Journal every Monday morning (just the headlines and some of the regular pieces, along with lead articles).

The way PTP works is that each client has a voicemail box. If someone wants to hear the whole article because they were intrigued by the headline you read, they request it by leaving a voicemail for you. Then you pick up those requests later in the day or next day, and read that article directly into the requester's voicemail box. Pretty slick system!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #14833

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Walked the dog on the beach in the AM.

In the PM read a book aloud for an hour. I recently learned that our town has a "radio station" that reads newspapers and books to people who are blind or otherwise incapable of reading. Went for an audition a few weeks ago and have been put on as substitute news paper reader (live broadcasts) and book reader (recorded). So far I've done one substitute reading of the NYT and one of WSJ. Just started recording the book today. Pretty interesting volunteer gig.
What a wonderful service! I'm sure it is much appreciated by the listeners. I'm going to add this to my volunteer gigs to look in to when I retire.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #14834

DW and I went to the lake to do a dry run of trailering the new pontoon boat tomorrow.. Might need to call the tv station to send a news crew cause it's either going to be hilarious or there might be a murder.. We don't perform well together on projects like this..anyway, the boat needs service.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #14835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
What a wonderful service! I'm sure it is much appreciated by the listeners. I'm going to add this to my volunteer gigs to look in to when I retire.
FYI, here is a link to the place I'm involved with. There are likely similar places where you live (but I don't know for sure):

Talking Information Center
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #14836

Changed things up - took the dog for a walk on Mission Bay rather than at the beach. Was feeling ambitious and walked further than my normal walk.

Help DH put in window #2 of the 5 windows we're in process of replacing. My help is limited to manhandling the new window into place (a 2 person job) until he can put the first screw in. The other part of the help is cleaning up the bits of stucco that he has to chip off to get the old window out. He's working on the second story - so the stucco gets a bit scattered... so lots of sweeping.

2 windows down - 3 to go for this phase of our home improvement.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #14837

Went to the gym, registered for the cardiac rehab class the hospital encourages people with heart issues to take, and stopped by the store on the way home to get flowers to shoot in the basement. By "shoot" I mean with a camera.

I'm not sure if I qualify as having heart issues even though I have two overlapping stents in a heart artery. The docs all say I'll fully recover and will have no restrictions in a couple more weeks. So we'll see. Right now I'm still on half-weights at the gym but slowing moving toward back to full.

But if they're going to take 18 weeks to tell me to "don't smoke, eat healthy, and exercise regularly" I'll drop out.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #14838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm not sure if I qualify as having heart issues even though I have two overlapping stents in a heart artery.
Really?
Couldn't possibly be into denial, could we?

Just take good care of yourself. There is useful help available, it sounds like.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #14839

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Really?
Couldn't possibly be into denial, could we?
Naw, not me...

But I have made some changes. I'd quit smoking a long time ago, don't need to lose weight (5'9", 147 lbs this morning) and exercise regularly. Doc says my cholesterol levels are already well below most people's, borderline being too low. The diet could use some improvement though fortunately not too drastic.

But I'm sure gonna miss pepperoni, ham, bacon and double cheese pizzas. Sniff, sniff.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #14840
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
gonna miss pepperoni, ham, bacon and double cheese pizzas.
Right. The ham is overkill.