what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr B and I bought a new lawnmower. Between my bad hands (tendinitis) and his not-so-great back and recent heart problems, we decided we would get a lawnmower with features that will make both of our lives easier. I have a John Deere riding mower for the back forty, but the front lawn is kinda small and very tight in corners for the 46 inch cut rider. I also have to struggle getting the double gate of a wooden fence open to get the rider mower in the front yard. All in all a real PITA.
Mr B went shopping online and found this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/22-3N1-SP-ELEC/13348022

Our brand new "baby" has key start capability, variable speed rear self-propelled drive, auto-choke and throttle control, and nice large wheels to make those 90 degree and angled turns so much easier. It can be used as a mulcher, a side discharge, or a leaf/clipping bagger.
I cannot rake without wrecking my hands, so it will serve me very well in the fall as a lawn vacuum and leaf bagger when the oak leaves fall.
It was actual cheaper than any other similar functional models. The key start feature and convertibility between mulching/side discharge/leaf bagging sold me. It is very well made and the metal used to make the mower base is solid.
It is currently in the garage, all assembled and in the required 48 hour battery initial charging phase. I can't wait to try it out :D

Did the weekly Walmart grocery run, with a side trip to the nursery. Planted flowers in the rain at 43 degrees with 25 mph wind. So windy that the flower petals were blowing off as I planted them.

Gorgeous day in Waikiki. Lovely surf. Good lunch at an undiscovered place with a new friend. Sometimes you just have to pause for a minute and reflect "This is aloha, baby".

Our new rising sophomore will be home in about 20 hours...

I went for a walk today!
That's progress!

Made any plans for your next ride?

It will be a few weeks I think, but who knows.

Helped my DW fill out her retirement papers. If all goes as planned (house up for sale in northern Virginia), she'll retire at the end of the school year and she will join me full time in WV.

So far today...I worked. In fact, I'm at work, at my desk right now. Drag. Think I need a (another) cup of coffee. At least the coffee's free around here...

It rained all day, so I did laundry that had piled up while I was sick for the last week. I made a nice small pork roast in the crockpot and some StoveTop stuffing for dinner.
Mr B has a county Legion meeting and carpooled with the guys. Have fun :greetings10:
I have the house ALL to myself. >:D I think I'll load some of my Barbra music CDs and crank it up.

I took my car in for service. The fog lights go on when I turn on the right turn signal sometimes. Then I went into the office until 1:30 and wrote some computer programs. I had an appointment in the afternoon and then back home. I still have a rental car as they never called me to tell me my car was ready.

Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds. Yaaay! But wait a doggone minute...why do I still have all those pounds around my waist? I actually did lose a bit between May of last year until early Feb or so, but when the earthquake hit I started stress eating and gained it back. :-(

Anyway, I'm at work now, having lunch with DD who is interning in my company.

R

Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds. Yaaay! But wait a doggone minute...why do I still have all those pounds around my waist? I actually did lose a bit between May of last year until early Feb or so, but when the earthquake hit I started stress eating and gained it back. :-(

Anyway, I'm at work now, having lunch with DD who is interning in my company.

R

Rambler, the same thing happened to me after Hurricane Katrina. I was completely exhausted both physically from cleaning up after the storm in the heat, and mentally from trying hard to comfort both friends and strangers in their anguish. Once they were re-opened, for weeks our stores did not have much selection, almost no produce and definitely not the low calorie food items that I was used to eating. The result was that I gained about the same amount as you did. I think it is normal to go through this after a catastrophe. The weight will come off, though, especially since you are continuing to run.

How cool that your DD is interning there with you! :D

Last edited:
Went on a shopping spree for woodworking, brewing, and fishing supplies.

Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds....

I need to get one of those gizmos. I started running again and need something to keep me interested. But your 10:30 pace is a sprint compared to my speed.

Got all my racing stuff (suit, helmet, rib vest, etc) ready, only to get an email that our first (90 minute) enduro of the season has been postponed a couple weeks due to the bad weather. Combined kart tracks we use for the longer races require driving a short distance outside to get from one track to the other. That racing can be treacherous enough (especially for us `old' guys still doing it) withoug hitting moisture on slicks.

0947 and I am still in my bathrobe procrastinating about heading into w*rk...the very-heavy-at-times rain is not helping matters...very soon, will shower, don uniform, and head in....but until then...

11 AM and I am still in my nightgown. :blush:
Mr B just called from the Legion to let me know he has a buyer for my old lawnmower. The offering price was a bit lower than I wanted, but I won't have to mess around with Craiglist and having strangers show up and try to talk me down in price anyway. Plus I asked for 2 beers in addition to the cash. :LOL:
I know the guy buying the mower very well. He is a veteran and recently retired on a much lower pension income than I live on.
It all evens out. :D
One less thing to hassle with...:dance:

Walked my SO to the train station for the first day of training on her new job. I am so relieved that she has found work. We were both laid off 2 years ago, but the difference between us is that I had the means to ease into ER/ESR and she did not. She has been applying for jobs and going to interviews consistently and regularly for the past 2 years and was finally hired yesterday. It was just in the nick of time too - things were about to slowly start getting scary for her, and it would have been very stressful for me to help and support her through what would have been some pretty bad stuff if money didn't start coming in soon.

As someone else said somewhere in this forum a few months ago, this economy has taken it's toll on a lot of people - and not just those directly affected, but their loved ones too.

this economy has taken it's toll on a lot of people - and not just those directly affected, but their loved ones too.

How great is it that our economy has rebounded so nicely over the past 2 years! Remember before that time span when we were on the verge of a full fledged depression?

Had to work all day but now I'm off to Hula class followed by a Tahitian dance class and a tap dancing class.

Then I get to go home and continue my massive reorganization project. I took everything out of the 2 bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen and dumped it in the living/dining room, about a month ago. It was the only way I could think of to get going on the de-cluttering/de-junking of my place. I have a deadline of June 4th to finish. I've got out-of-town visitors coming.

The John Deere "B" is back in one piece again. Mechanically it's very good and for being 60 years old it looks pretty good so we decided not to do a complete restoration. After all, it's only original once.

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    826.4 KB · Views: 18
It's a beauty, Nodak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom