what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nords, I've spent ~17 years alone. Good you have someone coming home.
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy!!! :)
Good point-- I'm more enamored of the fantasy than the lifestyle.

Been a lot of changes around Hale Nords of late, and it may take some time to settle down and get used to them...

However three weeks ago our kid departed for college. So for the first time in the decade since we've bought this house, I spent 24 hours alone in it. I'm still trying to remember, but I don't think that I've spend 24 hours home alone in at least the last 15 years.

Yesterday was a total "me" day-- writing, reading, catching up on personal projects, working out. Eating & sleeping when/as much as I wanted to. Time passed so quickly! The sheer hedonism is almost overwhelming.

And I still have seven days left!!

My family leaves for a week every summer to attend 4H camp. It is nice to be alone for a while and do exactly what I want. But after a week I am missing them. Then about 30 minutes after they get home, I miss the quiet, though I am glad to have them back.

HOLY LAWNMOWER Batman!

I mowed my lawn in twilight with the company of a few bats emerging from my 2 homemade bat-houses.

OK, I give up.
On my way to goggle.
What tha **** does a bat house look like. :LOL:
Steve

Yesterday I had lunch with the guy who replaced me at my old company. Also an old golf buddy. My biggest fear seems to be materializing. He is becoming disgruntled. Many reasons, but some of the same ones that got me out of there. Hopefully it will pass, but I doubt it. Why does it matter to me? Because if he leaves they will be calling me to fill in until they fill the job. And will want me to train the next one.:banghead: To give you one example of how screwed up this company is, they bought a new computer system shortly after I left based on the recommendation of a new IT person that was hired shortly after I left. After 2 years of getting the system ready to be put in play and after spending a few hundred thousand on the system, they have decided it will not do the job and are going back to the old one. And sweep the $$$ they paid under the rug, not to mention the cost to convert back.

Part of the problem with living in a small town, you have a good chance to get to know most everyone. I know all these guys(management) and this could put me in a tough position if I do get the call one day. I'm going to have to practice saying the word 'NO'. And get over being such a pussy cat.;)

Stocking up on med's after golf today.

I'm going to have to practice saying the word 'NO'. And get over being such a pussy cat.

What's wrong with telling them that you have moved on and can't see any way you could fit it into your schedule? (and, of course, be prepared to describe some major project... even if it is an already-paid-for trip.)

Part of the problem with living in a small town, you have a good chance to get to know most everyone. I know all these guys(management) and this could put me in a tough position if I do get the call one day. I'm going to have to practice saying the word 'NO'. And get over being such a pussy cat.;)

Stocking up on med's after golf today.

I would think saying no for w*rk would get much easier as you get older...I can't remember much of how anything worked after 4 years of retirement. You can always say my memory isn't what it used to be....:D

"What did you do today?"

Painted an interior door and doorframe before coffee this morning. :duh:

As much as I dislike painting, it sure beats w*rk.

Did my morning workout thing (5.25 miles/1 hour on elliptical), and 30 minutes after finishing DW came home and asked if I'd keep her company on a little walk. We walked down to and around a local lake, another 3 miles or so.

So, the miles are adding up today, and it's not even lunchtime yet.

I would think saying no for w*rk would get much easier as you get older...I can't remember much of how anything worked after 4 years of retirement. You can always say my memory isn't what it used to be....:D

And that's the damn truth. :blush:

Had one of my best rounds of the year this morning. Shot a 71.:) Boy, was is pretty out there. Low humidity, crystal clear with a nice breeze. Fall is just around the corner.:)

Why does it matter to me? Because if he leaves they will be calling me to fill in until they fill the job.
I know all these guys(management) and this could put me in a tough position if I do get the call one day. I'm going to have to practice saying the word 'NO'. And get over being such a pussy cat.;)
I think the key is to be able to gasp out a "Thanks for thinking of me!" right after you stop laughing and before you draw your next breath.

Then you can say "Nice prank; really had me going there-- but seriously, who's calling? George, is that you? Fred?"

What were you wearing? :cool:
(Sorry, had to ask...:LOL:)
Latex, of course.

Attachments

• Batcave.jpg
    Batcave.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 4
The wind had started to blow down a wooden fence between our patio and the one next door. I reinforced it with two 2x4s and extra long screws. Being 19 stories in the air added to the excitement.

Painting will wait until the sun returns. 12 degrees Celsius today!

The wind had started to blow down a wooden fence between our patio and the one next door. I reinforced it with two 2x4s and extra long screws. Being 19 stories in the air added to the excitement.

Painting will wait until the sun returns. 12 degrees Celsius today!

I know some people are courageous and utterly nonchalant about teetering over staggering, perilous heights. As for me, I would never even venture out onto your patio, much less repair a fence out there! :eek: Were I in your position, I would now call a high-rise fence painter instead of taking any further risks. But then, I admit that I am a chicken. Cluck cluck.

You will probably find a lot of people just like me living on the first or second floor of your high rise. :D

The door that I painted this morning looks pretty good now that the paint has dried. Good enough, anyway. Frank stayed up all night catching up with me in packing, and now he has packed more than I have. He cleared out everything from one of his bedrooms except for the furniture (which Good Will is going to take tomorrow).

OK, I give up.
On my way to goggle.
Steve

I have a couple similar to this. Bats are your friends.

Amazon.com: Stovall 8H Single Cell Bat House: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Look very closely at the photo of my storage building. Under the roof edge sloping left and right are 2 square bathouses. The smaller one on the right side of the photo is designed for adults. The larger one on the left is designed for breeding. I get more guano droppings from the one on the right side.
I got the plans for making both types from the NYS DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) website. I had a lot of fun making them from scrap wood laying around the garage. The insides are lined with metal screen to give my little friends something to grab onto.
On a hot day, if I walk up underneath and off to the side VERY quietly, I can see them.
I have swampy land in the back 50 feet of my property. These bats take care of a lot of bugs for me. :flowers:

Attachments

• BatHousesCrop.jpg
    BatHousesCrop.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 174
I dressed up today. Miniskirt, stockings, pumps, makeup, perfume, earrings...the whole enchilada.:cool:
Sorry I had to crop the photo. Um...something was showing. :blush:

Just for fun, yesterday I used a non-permanent hair color (auburn) on my jet black hair. This is the first time I ever colored my hair. It will wash out after 25 or so washes.

The little bit of grey I had turned out a beautiful "regular" auburn color. The still black hair took on a really neat deep auburn tone. It looked really cool in the bright sun. :D

Attachments

• DressUpDay.jpg
    DressUpDay.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 11
I dressed up today. Miniskirt, stockings, pumps, makeup, perfume, earrings...the whole enchilada.:cool:
Sorry I had to crop the photo. Um...something was showing. :blush:

Just for fun, yesterday I used a non-permanent hair color (auburn) on my jet black hair. This is the first time I ever colored my hair. It will wash out after 25 or so washes.

The little bit of grey I had turned out a beautiful "regular" auburn color. The still black hair took on a really neat deep auburn tone. It looked really cool in the bright sun. :D

Nice Pic ! Does this sudden dress up have to do with the secret Bostonian ?:greetings10:

Freebird, you look gorgeous!!! What was the occasion--just in the mood to wear a corsage?

Nice Pic ! Does this sudden dress up have to do with the secret Bostonian ?:greetings10:

Freebird, you look gorgeous!!! What was the occasion--just in the mood to wear a corsage?

Well thank you. :D I can be a lady sometimes when I'm not getting my hands greasy on small engines. I look just like my Mom in that photo. :smitten:

Yes, there is a connection between the secret Bostonian and the corsage.
It was HIS birthday today, and just for fun, I bought him the boutonnier on the way to meet him for lunch.
He loved the thought, smiled...he had never had a lady give him a flower before.
THEN he turned bright red, and then said "I ain't gonna wear that". :LOL:
Now of course I knew he would not wear it, so I picked one that color coordinated with my outfit. No dummy here. :cool:

Lovely pic freebird! ....you're wearing a miniskirt? Woo hoo...you GO girl....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom