What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got several sheets of sub-flooring up in the attic. That is quite a process. Those suckers are HEAVY! I will have a 10 x 40 foot storage room when the floor is put in.

Yesterday I got several sheets of sub-flooring up in the attic. That is quite a process. Those suckers are HEAVY! I will have a 10 x 40 foot storage room when the floor is put in.

Excellent! I've noticed recently that sheets of plywood, mdf, etc are larger and heavier than they used to be.

Enjoying a cool rainy morning - it's still in the low 70s when for the past month it's hit 90 by this time on the way to 100-ish. A large thunderstorm came in during the night and dropped at least a couple of inches of rain and now we have a nice steady heavy drizzle. Heavenly!

Excellent! I've noticed recently that sheets of plywood, mdf, etc are larger and heavier than they used to be.

That is because it is all wood, xcept for all the glue holding the sawdust together;)

I never forget a day when I was about 17, helping my late father doing some work. He was complaining about something being heavy, so I lifted it for him and did not have any problem. It occurred for the first time to me then that I was stronger than he was.

We were exactly the same build, except that I was skinnier than he was. And he was not even 50 then. I am now a lot older than he was then.

Darn! I need to stop thinking about the past when I was young, healthy, and invincible.

A little bit frustrating. I was scheduled to fly a brain cancer survivor and her husband from the San Diego area to the San Fernando Valley. Another pilot was supposed to fly them the rest of the way to Oakland.
There was nobody available for the second leg, so i spent a good part of the morning with plane and train schedules trying to help.
I finally came up with the suggestion that i would fly them to Burbank Airport, where they could take Southwest the rest of the way.
They were contacted, and said the price difference between flying from Burbank or San Diego was a few dollars, so they would do that.
I said OK, cancelled the plane reservation, and called my copilot. A half hour later, I get a call from these people asking if I was still able to take them to Burbank. I told them i was sorry, but I cancelled the plane.
I am still waiting to hear what they plan to do:confused:

I never forget a day when I was about 17, helping my late father doing some work. He was complaining about something being heavy, so I lifted it for him and did not have any problem. It occurred for the first time to me then that I was stronger than he was.

We were exactly the same build, except that I was skinnier than he was. And he was not even 50 then. I am now a lot older than he was then.

Darn! I need to stop thinking about the past when I was young, healthy, and invincible.
As Bob Seger sang, "Like a rock."

Brewed a pale ale yesterday and it's fermenting away quite nicely today. My kegerator is empty, so I'm already planning the next two beers. I was proud to get it all done, the equipment cleaned and put away in under six hours.

It still wears me out, so today I sat on my duff. Tomorrow the gym and maybe some heavy housecleaning.

Today I went to my dentist and had impressions done, for the two crowns that I need. My two implants were successful so it's time to get crowns to cover each of them.

Somebody (here? on another forum?) mentioned that they were reluctant to have an implant done because it was not any fun at all to have the impressions done. I hadn't remembered any problems with impressions for prior implants, but after today I have to agree. This is the first time I have had two done at once, since I have new implants on the lower left and lower right, both ready for crowns.

The dentist's assistant messed up the first two tries at the lower impressions, and the second time I almost couldn't breathe and I couldn't help making scary loud guttural drowning noises as I tried to keep the goo from descending into my lungs without moving my teeth. And then after all that, the impression was no good. So my dentist did it and it was much less uncomfortable and it came out right the third time. He also did the upper teeth. His assistant is nice but does not have a clue.

I love my implants and I am glad to have them, but I sure feel like I earned these two after today. I don't like that sensation of drowning one bit, and it freaked me out enough to even upset my stomach. I think I will stay home for the rest of the day and calm down. Retirement is so nice, because I can do that.

W2R, your implant story ties in nicely with a "feel good" story I'd like to share. (Not the gagging/drowning part!)

One of my fellow guides on the river is missing his top four front teeth (the result of an athletic injury). He's in his early twenties and has been living toothless for a few years because he can't afford the needed dental procedures.

I just found out that after one of the trips he led this year, two of the guests (one a dentist, the other an oral surgeon) "tipped" him with pro bono implants!

Im so happy for him. He's really smart and capable, but without his teeth the first impression is "hillbilly". He's a veteran of the Marines, starting college this fall with the goal of eventually going to med school and becoming a surgeon. If he succeeds, I have no doubt that he will repay this opportunity in kind someday.

I just found out that after one of the trips he led this year, two of the guests (one a dentist, the other an oral surgeon) "tipped" him with pro bono implants!

Im so happy for him. He's really smart and capable, but without his teeth the first impression is "hillbilly". He's a veteran of the Marines, starting college this fall with the goal of eventually going to med school and becoming a surgeon. If he succeeds, I have no doubt that he will repay this opportunity in kind someday.

Nice story! It's great to hear about that sort of thing going well for someone.

Today was a gym day, followed by a minor grocery run, we still have to go over to SIL's house and bring the mail inside because they're on a trip.

W2R, your implant story ties in nicely with a "feel good" story I'd like to share. (Not the gagging/drowning part!)

One of my fellow guides on the river is missing his top four front teeth (the result of an athletic injury). He's in his early twenties and has been living toothless for a few years because he can't afford the needed dental procedures.

That is such a wonderful and heart-warming story!!! Those implants are going to be truly life changing for him, especially because he is so young. :)

Today I started a fun project of designing stained glass for the two small "piano" windows in my dining room. I researched Arts and Crafts designs of the period (the house is 1923) and worked up a sketch. There's an art glass shop near me that will make and install it. It is a minor splurge, but I'm a stained glass junkie and think it will be perfect for this room. A bucket-list retirement goal is to take stained glass classes but I'm not there yet.

Today I started a fun project of designing stained glass for the two small "piano" windows in my dining room. I researched Arts and Crafts designs of the period (the house is 1923) and worked up a sketch. There's an art glass shop near me that will make and install it. It is a minor splurge, but I'm a stained glass junkie and think it will be perfect for this room. A bucket-list retirement goal is to take stained glass classes but I'm not there yet.

I used to have a Craftsman house like that, and love the style, though my piano windows didn't have stained glass. This will be gorgeous. Please post photos when it is complete!

Good idea! Our home has a semicircular clerestory window. DW found a semicircular stained glass piece that fit in there and it looks great

Great day. Golf in the morning with friends (3 foursomes)... then lunch at the club and another friend who is on IR after shoulder surgery joined us for lunch. Ran a bunch of errands and visited a friend for a beer on his deck overlooking the lake... then some more errands on the way home. Got a lot done and had fun doing it.

Took the sailboat out this afternoon. I got to watch a bald eagle fly around above me for a few minutes. We see them regularly here but for some reason it never gets old.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm also reminded of two folks.

One a co-w*ker who needed a large amount of dental work done. Because of a family member's experience I suggested an area dental college. She and her initial dental student hit it off, he treated her multiple times. Later she was a case for his State Dental boards. She continues to be his patient at a discounted rate.

Another is my BIL, a dental student in Philly(Temple) always talking about how hard it was(1980-1984) to find patients who would actually show for treatment. He's always treated them after the fact at discounts.

Last edited:
Yesterday at the dentist; last two teeth prepared for new crowns. That will make too many crowns to mention and I don't want to add up the bills. I have temps on the two teeth right now and the crowns will be ready for installation in two weeks. The last adventure will be a pair of implants and I made an appointment with a dental surgeon recommended by my dentist. I can't wait to see what those will cost also. When this is done, I will have essentially a whole new mouth! (but I won't have a new pickup truck!)

Today I took DW down to the Medical Center in Houston to do the pre-op physical for the upcoming (8/23) heart valve replacement surgery.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Today I took DW down to the Medical Center in Houston to do the pre-op physical for the upcoming (8/23) heart valve replacement surgery.

Hope all goes well....good luck!

Thanks Nemo2, she finally made a decision to go through with it, even though she is high risk.

Tough decision either way...I've marked it on the calendar and will be thinking of you both on that day. All the best!

Yesterday at the dentist; last two teeth prepared for new crowns. That will make too many crowns to mention and I don't want to add up the bills. I have temps on the two teeth right now and the crowns will be ready for installation in two weeks. The last adventure will be a pair of implants and I made an appointment with a dental surgeon recommended by my dentist. I can't wait to see what those will cost also. When this is done, I will have essentially a whole new mouth! (but I won't have a new pickup truck!)

Getting old is not for sissies.

Best wishes to your DW for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom