What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
aja888 - Hope the surgery goes well. My thoughts will be with you both.

We had half price tacos for a Taco Tuesday special and saw an advance screening of the movie The Hitman's Bodyguard. It was a buddy type movie (Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson) with a fair bit of violence, but entertaining enough for a Tuesday night. It seemed to go over well with the audience with quite a few people clapping at the end.

DW and I gathered all of our financial information and discussed changes we plan on making to our estate plan. We meet with an attorney on Wednesday, one of my least favorite things to do, but necessary. We were pleasantly surprised at the increase in our net worth even with the large expenses and some donations made this year.

Went to the office to interview some potential lateral hires. I turned up in shorts and trainers. Everyone else was in suits.

Pilots N Paws Flight

We picked up an older Golden retriever and 2 Chihuahuas in Fullerton CA, and flew them up to Santa Maria. We then met a lady and her friend who were going to fly them the rest of the way to Vacaville in the Bay Area.
The funniest part was when we got home my copilots dog gave him the sniff test, smelt other dogs, and would not have anything to do with him:LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 26
Aja8888 - will be thinking of you and your wife on 8/23.

Let me join in to send aja8888 and his wife the best wishes for the outcome and recovery.

Today I woke up in Colorado, we are on our first stop of our tour of Colorado. We are headed to (eventually) Dinosaur National Monument.

Grilled some lamb merguez sausages yesterday, ate them with some corn on the cob - my first this season. Yum.

Making my 2nd Adirondack chair

Started making my 2nd Adirondack chair - I use Norm Abrams design.
I use both Cedar and Cypress and finish with BLO and add some paste wax.
here are pics of the first one...
after_linseed_oil_applied_1.jpg

after_linseed_oil_applied_2.jpg

a.jpg

Made much progress on cleaning up the basement. It will be nice, after seven years of living here, to finally set up my wood shop again and start building things like adirondack chairs. That looks great, btw.

I love my summer gig, but it can be physically draining. After spending five out of the past seven days on the river I decided that today was a "no exercise" day to allow the body to recover.

I spent the morning working on a quilt project. After lunch I cleaned my mountain bike-- the last ride was very muddy and I hadn't had a chance to clean it up. Now I'm just being lazy on the deck, enjoying the weather and watching squirrels while I surf the web.

Beautiful chair, dirt_dobber! Thanks for sharing.

aja8888 - add me to the list of those who will be sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and your wife in the next weeks

Khan. Your house looks awesome.

dirtdobber, Beautiful chair.

Kahn, The house looks great. Do you have a move in date?

AJA, Best wishes to Mrs. AJA and you.

We packed a picnic dinner and went to an outdoor concert in a park with a rock and roll band from Sacramento called Apple Z.

Beautiful chair, dirt_dobber.

Lovely house, Khan. The elevated first floor reminds me of ones we used to see on Padre Island in Texas.

Last edited:
Khan, what a pretty new house! You will never need to worry about flooding, being that high up in the air. I would imagine that those stairs will also have some sturdy handrails before long. I like that there is a landing on the way up.

For all the time I've been flying radio control model airplanes (off & on since 1983) I've never had a model of a P-51 Mustang, one of the most famous airplanes that ever flew. Yesterday one arrived via FedEx and I flew it today, just as the first raindrops started falling.

Not surprisingly it displays many of the flying characteristics of the full-size airplane and with power fully off it needs a very steep descent to maintain flying speed. For me this is a good thing since I'm flying in the back yard, surrounded on three sides by "airplane-eating trees" similar to the ones that plague Charlie Brown's kites. Then add a bit of power to flatten the glide and power on for the flare for landing. With other airplanes I often end up doing a 360° turn on final to bleed off airspeed.

Aileron rolls are axial, and true to scale in a spin it comes down fast.

DW is mystified as to why I think this is fun, but to me it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom