What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used my sawmill to cut up a few small cedar logs. These were from a tree that fell across the road on the way to our river camp, had a chainsaw with me so didn't want to waste the logs but had to cut them small to handle them by myself.

Gorgeous. Sometimes the raw material is as beautiful as the finished product made with it will be.

Gorgeous. Sometimes the raw material is as beautiful as the finished product made with it will be.

True. I made a cedar chest for my grandmother in 1970. I got it after she passed. I manned up the outside, but left the inside unfinished. Still looks and smells the same as it did 47 years ago.

At least with the root canal done, hopefully you are no longer in pain.

I went to the dentist today too, but only had to have a filling done.
Thanks WR2. Yesterday was a little rough, four hydrocodone.

Today it's not bad at all. I'll see how it goes, maybe I can get by with just ibuprofen. They want me brushing the tooth multiple times daily, that got it angry yesterday.

Thanks WR2. Yesterday was a little rough, four hydrocodone.

Today it's not bad at all. I'll see how it goes, maybe I can get by with just ibuprofen. They want me brushing the tooth multiple times daily, that got it angry yesterday.
So glad it is less painful today and hopefully there will be zero pain shortly, if he did that root canal on the right tooth. If it is still hurting in a day or two, you might want to see your dentist again about it. You probably remember last spring, when I was having trouble identifying which tooth my tooth pain was coming from. It took several root canals and an implant and then several more root canals on a different tooth before that pain was gone.

For me, ibuprofen works better for tooth pain than hydrocodone (which just makes me feel high, ugh!). I hope it does the trick. Nothing worse than tooth pain.

My filling was quick and painless, and my dentist said I could eat immediately afterwards if I wanted to. Paying the $200 bill was not such fun, but I reminded myself that he did several free root canals when we were chasing down where that pain was coming from a few months back.

All you Young Dreamers out there, be sure to plan having enough extra income to handle more dental expenses in your late 60's than you had in your 40's. If your teeth turn out to be unusually perfect, you can always spend it on wine, women, and song.

Last edited:
Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of my 11/9/2009 retirement, so now "Want2Retire" (me), is working on her 9th year of retired bliss. :D

An unrelated event was that an additional 13,000+ JFK Assassination documents were declassified and released yesterday. I thought we already had all of them! This was quite a surprise. I have been interested in the JFK assassination since the day it happened.

So, I was up half the night poring over this material. I barely scratched the surface, with so many documents. Some were quite fascinating. It's like a time capsule - - - very interesting, to me, even though I have found nothing definitive concerning the assassination.

I’m waiting in the car for DH to finish a reference interview— one of his contract gigs. When he’s done we are heading to the mountain house for a couple of days. It didn’t make sense for him to drive the 50 miles to the interview, then backtrack to pick me up.

The interview is in a part of NJ that is unfamiliar to me, so it’s been an enjoyable drive on a sunny day with nice scenery. DH commented that many people wouldn’t imagine that parts of NJ are this rural and scenic.

DH commented that many people wouldn’t imagine that parts of NJ are this rural and scenic.

It's easy to forget how big this country is. I remember when I was a teenager, ten of us took five canoes down the Wading River in southern NJ and never saw the slightest sign of civilization for an entire week. We camped out in the forest every night and just enjoyed nature.

There are some beautiful parts of New Jersey, that I saw when traveling there for work. Princeton is, well, Princeton, what more can I say. Utterly idyllic. On a different trip I was sent to a Naval Weapons Station in northern NJ, and some areas up there closer to NYC were quite lovely and surely very expensive.

Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of my 11/9/2009 retirement, so now "Want2Retire" (me), is working on her 9th year of retired bliss. :D

An unrelated event was that an additional 13,000+ JFK Assassination documents were declassified and released yesterday. I thought we already had all of them! This was quite a surprise. I have been interested in the JFK assassination since the day it happened.

So, I was up half the night poring over this material. I barely scratched the surface, with so many documents. Some were quite fascinating. It's like a time capsule - - - very interesting, to me, even though I have found nothing definitive concerning the assassination.

I celebrated your retirement by having a birthday.

I didn’t file for early SS, but I *did* change my avatar. :dance:

Drove to Rehoboth Beach, DE to visit family (one sister, one half sister, one niece and maybe one nephew if he shows for lunch tomorrow) in Millsboro, DE. The hotel is in Rehoboth Beach, they live in Millsboro, but Millsboro doesn't have any hotels. Not any that we want to stay in anyway. Beautiful day to drive across the Chesapeake Bay bridge.

Had a nice dinner at the half-sister's house (she's 88 and doesn't get around well anymore) that we all went out and bought, then went back to the house for dinner. The niece is the one who introduced me to DW-to-be in 1984.

Gym day. When we were a mile from home DW did the uh no. She's still in her house shoes. Unlike Walt, I wasn't able to convince her no one would notice.

A little rough for me today, couple days off or meds I'm not sure. I had a hard time breathing properly.

Today I'm free of mind altering meds for my root canal. Took some ibuprofen and I've been OK. Even tried the acid test, ice cream on the molar, no pain! I've double, triple, quadruple checked and it's still pain free.

Babysat for our 4 year old GD. This is the first time in a long time she was not sick. What a bundle of energy!
we were wiped out by the time we got home.

It's easy to forget how big this country is. I remember when I was a teenager, ten of us took five canoes down the Wading River in southern NJ and never saw the slightest sign of civilization for an entire week. We camped out in the forest every night and just enjoyed nature.

Not seeing anybody else is a good thing.

af1b5ea1c1a309be5ec9b6f54a579a60.jpg

We saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and enjoyed it. Today we had a group lunch out with friends and then attended a ballet performance in the evening.

Gym day. When we were a mile from home DW did the uh no. She's still in her house shoes. Unlike Walt, I wasn't able to convince her no one would notice.

A little rough for me today, couple days off or meds I'm not sure. I had a hard time breathing properly.

Today I'm free of mind altering meds for my root canal. Took some ibuprofen and I've been OK. Even tried the acid test, ice cream on the molar, no pain! I've double, triple, quadruple checked and it's still pain free.

:dance: :clap: This is great! I am so glad that you are finally pain free without any more hydrocodone. When it comes to ice cream, multiple tests after a root canal are well deserved and something to look forward to. :D

Hope your breathing got better by now.

Last edited:
Very nice! What are you going to make?

Probably a box or two when it's dry in the spring. May use some for a sign or two as well. I have two more cedar logs and some walnut to mill as well. Usually mill logs as soon as I get them but I was sick for a while and people dropped off a few for me that I'm finally getting to.

I just returned from taking my daughter,SIl and grandsons to Disney World for a week . It was exhausting but grandsons had a ball .

I bought DW a 4K 27" monitor last week for $299 , since she has a 4K camera it seemed worthy to be able to see the higher quality photos/movies.

Of course her old computer couldn't do the resolution, and it's easily $100 for a new cheap 4k video card and she would still have a 10 yr old computer.

So, $650 and she has a new computer with 3.1 and 3.0 usb ports and a 4 Gb video card inside that can power three 4K monitors :eek:
It has only 8 Gb memory and a 1 TB hard drive, but the memory has open slots and can go up to 32 Gb.

So I've been babysitting it as it sets up, and does the required Windows 10 updates...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101536

83-101-536-Z01.jpg

First really cold day today (25°F) and we got to enjoy the infrared sauna for the first time this season. One of the little pleasures of winter.

Yard work: trimmed bushes, raked leaves, pulled out some terrible ground cover, cut grass, etc. Filled 19 Lowe's tall lawn bags :eek:

Went to church, ran the lawn mower over the leaves and filled 5 tall bags, out to lunch with the young wife, then bottled 5 gallons of beer (California Common).

Cracked about 36 dozen eggs, chopped veggies, cooked bacon & sausage, and mixed pancake batter to feed the crowd at the firehouse breakfast. If this ER gig doesn't pan out I should be able to get work as a cook at a breakfast diner.

Recovering from yesterday's yard work punishment watching the Cowboys and Texans get respectively creamed. No Super Bowl candidates here.

All days (or in this case the last week) won't be the best even in retirement. My sister called earlier in the week and told me her DH is in a memory unit. The doctors said he has been having what sounds like to me very minor strokes for a long time and the small blood clots have done major brain damage. He is 68. Another friend from home town found out he has cancer in his spine. Today, I heard that one of the older ranch members has died.

On a brighter note, I got an old dump truck (1966 Chevy C60) delivered to the kid's camp. A dump truck was on their posted wish list and a friend and I had this one and it was time for it to go, so we gave it to the camp. I have been working on it off and on for the last month or so. It made to 100 mile trip up here without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom