What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was Day 1 of a four day bike ride on the D& L Trail. This is the “dress rehearsal” for a new trip being offered by the biking company I guide for. We did 36 miles in just over five hours, but only about four hours actually riding. We stopped for lunch and wildlife watching. Most notable was the timber rattler sunbathing in the middle of the trail.

Logged a new route today. Still 2.4 miles per mapmyrun but multiple elevation changes. Cruise with hiking on my own in 34 days. Felt not as prepared as I would have liked on last trip (March 2018)

Today was Day 1 of a four day bike ride on the D& L Trail. This is the “dress rehearsal” for a new trip being offered by the biking company I guide for. We did 36 miles in just over five hours, but only about four hours actually riding. We stopped for lunch and wildlife watching. Most notable was the timber rattler sunbathing in the middle of the trail.

Per your recommendation, i was up there 2 weeks ago. We stayed in Jim Thorpe. Had a great time. The town was very nice, we stayed at the Inn at Jim Thorpe. We rode quite a bit on the D&L trail, and the next day we rode on the Switchback trail. We did get caught in the rain one day, but my wife and I had a blast. Thank you for the recommendation! Oh,we also rode on the Pine Creek trail last fall, i think you recommended that one also. We stayed in Wellsboro, another very nice little town.

ivwdwo.jpg

Had to get the wife some earrings today, Sold off some oddball gold for better liquidity pieces, the replacement order came in and the wife saw and asked “what’s that” she demanded I kick her down some earrings so we went to our favorite Vietnamese jewelry shop. I will make my demand after dark

Drove from Morgantown, WV to back home. Some light rain but no traffic jams, pretty views along I-68 in Western MD with the low-hanging fog and clouds in the mountains. (Y'all out west call them hills but those are what we have.) Particularly impressive is the cut through Sideling Hill in MD about five miles west of Hancock, MD. It exposes a lot of neat geological features. I can't imagine what it was like to drive that road before the cut was made.

Along the way with all those steep hills we saw about half a dozen or so 18-wheelers with smoking trailer brakes.

Annual physical this morning. Included 2nd pneumonia shot (booster?). EKG was normal.

Asked my Doc to include in the blood test a Testosterone level check as I seem to be losing some of my "edge" lately. She said at my age, most men have no "edge" left.:LOL:

Particularly impressive is the cut through Sideling Hill in MD about five miles west of Hancock, MD. It exposes a lot of neat geological features.

I love Sideling Hill. And if you've never bothered to stop and visit the exhibit at the little visitor center there, it's well worth an hour on your trip. A great explanation of what to look for in one of the most impressive roadcuts in the country.

Annual physical this morning. Included 2nd pneumonia shot (booster?). EKG was normal.

Asked my Doc to include in the blood test a Testosterone level check as I seem to be losing some of my "edge" lately. She said at my age, most men have no "edge" left.:LOL:

Reminded of this joke by Isaac Asimov about a man of 60 that I retold a while back.

And you are older than 60.

Another joke by Isaac Asimov.

Mr. Jones who was pushing 60 felt under the weather. So, he went to his doctor for a checkup.

The doctor, leaning back in his chair, said "Mr. Jones, you are getting old. It is good that you don't drink or smoke, but if you want to live out the rest of your life in good health, you must do more. How about giving up, say, half of your sex life?"

Mr. Jones gravely considered this for a moment, then spoke up. "All right, doctor, as you say. But which half do you suggest that I give up, the thinking or the talking?"

Met up with the rancher from Utah who came to deliver our beef. Yes, it’s dry aged (RobbieB style), grass finished after open range living on the Arizona strip. The strip is an area on the north side of the Grand Canyon. Best beef in the land. We’re heading out shortly for the NHL hockey game so it’s time to Knight Up! (No offense intended to the canucks)

Per your recommendation, i was up there 2 weeks ago. We stayed in Jim Thorpe. Had a great time. The town was very nice, we stayed at the Inn at Jim Thorpe. We rode quite a bit on the D&L trail, and the next day we rode on the Switchback trail. We did get caught in the rain one day, but my wife and I had a blast. Thank you for the recommendation! Oh,we also rode on the Pine Creek trail last fall, i think you recommended that one also. We stayed in Wellsboro, another very nice little town.

Glad to hear it! I love riding the D&L.

It sounds like you might be interested in the inn-to-inn tour we did this week. First night lodging is at The Inn at Jim Thorpe, second night at the Hotel Bethlehem, third night at The Fox and Hound in New Hope. (PM me if you’d like the link). Three interesting towns connected by trails that allow riding with only small sections on the road.

We finished up the four day ride yesterday. Starting the week, I was a little apprehensive about the mileage because I’d never done such long rides on consecutive days. I felt better than expected. A little stiff and sore in places, but easily remedied by a dose of Tylenol.

Day 3 was the toughest. We rode 49 miles, the last 39 in the rain. The trail got very muddy which meant we had to work a little harder. The proprietor of the B&B in New Hope was great—after we hosed off outside, she met each of us at the door with an old towel and led us to our room. I got in the shower fully clothed and rinsed out each layer of clothing as I shed it. Once clean and changed, we gathered in the common area where the host had hot coffee/tea and cookies ready.

Particularly impressive is the cut through Sideling Hill in MD about five miles west of Hancock, MD. It exposes a lot of neat geological features. I can't imagine what it was like to drive that road before the cut was made.

My father was involved with the Sideling Hill cut project when it was done back in the 70s. I recall that it ended up being much more difficult and expensive than planned because of the rock composition.

You can still take the old route - I think it's called Scenic US 40 now. There's an exit a few miles before you get to Sideling going eastbound (not sure about westbound). It's a steep curvy road with a hairpin turn at the top. Needless to say, there were horrible traffic jams and lots of accidents. We took that route often when I was young as we lived in Western MD but had family in the Baltimore/Washington area that we visited regularly. The new road cut 15-20 minutes off of the trip on a good day, and hours on bad days.

Glad to hear it! I love riding the D&L.

It sounds like you might be interested in the inn-to-inn tour we did this week. First night lodging is at The Inn at Jim Thorpe, second night at the Hotel Bethlehem, third night at The Fox and Hound in New Hope. (PM me if you’d like the link). Three interesting towns connected by trails that allow riding with only small sections on the road.

We finished up the four day ride yesterday. Starting the week, I was a little apprehensive about the mileage because I’d never done such long rides on consecutive days. I felt better than expected. A little stiff and sore in places, but easily remedied by a dose of Tylenol.

Day 3 was the toughest. We rode 49 miles, the last 39 in the rain. The trail got very muddy which meant we had to work a little harder. The proprietor of the B&B in New Hope was great—after we hosed off outside, she met each of us at the door with an old towel and led us to our room. I got in the shower fully clothed and rinsed out each layer of clothing as I shed it. Once clean and changed, we gathered in the common area where the host had hot coffee/tea and cookies ready.

I did find that link online. Looks like a nice ride. Would definately need Advil for that one,lol. I'll have to think about that. Thank you

Today's a weird day. I've been out of the working world over 5 years now. For about the second time since I retired I actually opened LinkedIn today. I was bombarded by do you know these people. Well of course I did, they're connected to me by some folks I cared about. These folks were my peers, but I had little respect for the bulk of them. I noticed a few had been promoted several times. Wow.

Then reality hit, these clowns are still working. I'm not. Oh happy day!

Gym day and still on 50% of the metoprolol I was prescribed. BP has been great and I'm less dizzy. My heart rate is great until I jog. Today it's still at 115 bpm 3 hours later while I'm resting. Oh well. I'm supposed to call my PCP next week.

Picked up DW's car from the body shop, it looks like they did a good job with the repairs. Turned in the rental car.

With all the rain several creeks have flooded over their banks and some local roads are closed. We've never seen them this high. We're high enough that a wet basement is not a concern but not everyone around is that fortunate.

In the 90's F here now and hasn't rained since 4/21 (DD's wedding day). I worked in the yard for about two hours trimming and raking. Hot, sweaty, PIA kind of work.

Then I worked in workshop trying to clean out/re-sort all the tools and all the old car parts and other junk I accumulated when I restored the 1971 VW Beetle last year. Filled the trash can up!

We need some rain!!:facepalm:

In the 90's F here now and hasn't rained since 4/21 (DD's wedding day). I worked in the yard for about two hours trimming and raking. Hot, sweaty, PIA kind of work.

Then I worked in workshop trying to clean out/re-sort all the tools and all the old car parts and other junk I accumulated when I restored the 1971 VW Beetle last year. Filled the trash can up!

We need some rain!!:facepalm:

It's just starting to rain here right now. You should have HEARD the thunder about 30 seconds ago! So loud, and it filled the air with electricity too and my hair nearly stood on end. Pretty impressive summer storm. I don't have to go anywhere so the timing is great.

When we get done with the rain, I'll send it your way.... :D

Got a letter that my little bit of vested ESOP money is finally eligible for rollover. Will be glad to delete an account from Quicken and my spreadsheet. When I cancel COBRA next month and go onto DW’s retirement policy, I will have truly severed all ties to an employer.

Uploaded some genealogical data from an ancient family bible to familysearch.org today, correcting a date or two that was already there. Almost immediately I got a message from a distant cousin I didn’t know I had. What fun!

It's just starting to rain here right now. You should have HEARD the thunder about 30 seconds ago! So loud, and it filled the air with electricity too and my hair nearly stood on end. Pretty impressive summer storm. I don't have to go anywhere so the timing is great.

When we get done with the rain, I'll send it your way.... :D

It's so strange living here.....last August we get a storm that drops 50+ inches of rain and now we are begging for a shower.:facepalm:

We will take all the rain you can send this way!

It's so strange living here.....last August we get a storm that drops 50+ inches of rain and now we are begging for a shower.:facepalm:

We will take all the rain you can send this way!

I remember that! It sure brought a lot of rain to your area, even for a hurricane. Below is a photo I found by Googling it. Pretty scary.

Hope your recent drought ends soon.

It's raining cats and dogs by now - - a person couldn't walk 10 feet in it without getting drenched and dripping wet. Good. My lawn could use some more rain.

EDITED TO ADD: The emergencies alarm on my phone just went off; I had a text message from Emergency Management telling me of a flash flood warning in our suburb.

Good thing our houses are relatively high for our suburb, even though they are 2.9 feet below sea level; they have never flooded. However, this is getting crazy so I will definitely send this rain to you before too long. The power is flickering and the thunder and rain are intense at the moment.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 45
Today, Saturday, went to yoga this morning at our downtown YMCA. I picked up my Mom and she walked around at our local downtown market while I did yoga. Then I took her to Aldi for her grocery run. She likes their produce. Cheap and fresh. I have been home this afternoon. My sister and niece are bringing over filets for me to cook on the grill. I made a chopped salad and I will grill fresh asparagus too. I am drinking my favorite Bud Light Lime, I get one a day. Having a great retiree day on the weekend. Oh and my DH is here too.

I remember that! It sure brought a lot of rain to your area, even for a hurricane. Below is a photo I found by Googling it. Pretty scary.

Hope your recent drought ends soon.

It's raining cats and dogs by now - - a person couldn't walk 10 feet in it without getting drenched and dripping wet. Good. My lawn could use some more rain.

EDITED TO ADD: The emergencies alarm on my phone just went off; I had a text message from Emergency Management telling me of a flash flood warning in our suburb.

Good thing our houses are relatively high for our suburb, even though they are 2.9 feet below sea level; they have never flooded. However, this is getting crazy so I will definitely send this rain to you before too long. The power is flickering and the thunder and rain are intense at the moment.

Thank you for your volunteer moderating.

Reactions: W2R
I watched the Royal Wedding and I loved it .The hats , the ceremony and the fanfare nothing is better than a British royal wedding . I also did a grocery run ,laundry and made ribs for dinner so I was somewhat productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom