what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I spent hours icing my neck and an hour in PT. I'm having some nerve issues and was in so much pain of late, I can barely do anything! Yesterday was the first day without pain meds, but still not out of the woods. I also need to do exercises for my terrible posture. I find those extremely hard having spent 55 years slumped over!

Sorry to hear that, nerve pain can be so incredibly nasty. Glad your off the meds too, congratulations! PTs a real pain but I just experienced my first episode of pain that didn't come from trama. Tells me I need more PT.
Had a cervical epidural last week and off 60% of meds. The PT stinks but when I can go back I have to do it. I too spend 30 years at a desk hunched over. Thought when I quit working with my back I'd wouldn't have posture issues, ha what a cruel joke. Hoping your well soon.

MRG, hoped the epidural helped. I was in unbearable pain, pain like I never imagined. Sure put a damper on my free time and enjoyment of life.

Sorry to hear that, nerve pain can be so incredibly nasty. Glad your off the meds too, congratulations! PTs a real pain but I just experienced my first episode of pain that didn't come from trama. Tells me I need more PT.
Had a cervical epidural last week and off 60% of meds. The PT stinks but when I can go back I have to do it. I too spend 30 years at a desk hunched over. Thought when I quit working with my back I'd wouldn't have posture issues, ha what a cruel joke. Hoping your well soon.

I'm in the same boat and have been for nine years. I also had a cervical epidural two weeks ago and am going through PT. With permanent nerve damage in my spine its a routine I'll be familiar with the rest of my life. Surgeons don't think surgery will help much and insurance companies get more stingy every year with treatment options. Pain meds help between injections, but I hate using them. Most recently I've been taking Cymbalta but I'm not a fan and will probably stop soon. It helps the nerve pain but has too many side effects. Good luck to you!

Yesterday I finished and filed taxes for my MIL and for myself. We were waiting for a missing 1099 for MIL, and had a question about some rental unit expenses on our return. Got the answer we hoped for and ended up owing about $1300 less than we otherwise would have. Yay!!!! I e-filed both of those but will be mailing in my state return (with a small check) tomorrow.

Yesterday and today was the beginning of THE BIG BATHROOM REMODEL. (All caps because this is a long anticipated very big project for our master suite.) This has meant a lot prep work clearing out the closets and vanity, etc. The only thing that will stay operational for the remodel is the toilet. In the meantime I'm using our outdoor shower except on early mornings (when it's too cold). Thank goodness the weather is nice. I could use our hall bathroom - but I really don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with my icky sons. (They have coodies.) We've got the vanity gone/out... the shower and shower pan removed, a former closet (future home of the new double vanity) removed... and walls opened up. Elder son and I helped with the demo - but the plumbing will be all hubster... I'll help with painting and tiling when we get to that point.

Very nice to have a completely unscheduled day for a change. After morning walk and breakfast, I decided it was time to plant the seedlings I'd bought at the farmers' market (they needed to get a bit bigger so I left them in their pots for 2 weeks). Tomatoes, parsley, and basil. Pruned some perennials while I was out there.

After catching up on a lot of back e-mails, finished up my mother's final tax returns. At least I thought I did - not long after submitting them through TT, I got a "rejected" message. Resubmitted and waiting to hear back now.

Went grocery shopping and then decided to enjoy the rest of the beautiful afternoon on the patio reading magazines and playing iPad games. DS called for a long conversation about his trip to NYC last week as well as career thoughts - very nice.

Had a glass of wine while cooking seared tilapia over spinach-tomato-orzo - DH pronounced it "yummy". Score one for the chef!

Procrastination paid off as I received a corrected 1099 from Vanguard today. I am almost done with my tax return though, I just need to enter a couple more K-1s. Looks like I will be getting some money back this year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

So sorry Dash man.

+ 1
Luckily few people ever have to understand what happens in these type injuries. I'm in the same way, surgery is not an option.

LinCella, yes the epidural helped greatly. I understand about 50% respond positive to them. As you know that "special pain" will give you the courage to say "I don't care, just do something".

+ 1
Luckily few people ever have to understand what happens in these type injuries. I'm in the same way, surgery is not an option.

LinCella, yes the epidural helped greatly. I understand about 50% respond positive to them. As you know that "special pain" will give you the courage to say "I don't care, just do something".

Life goes on and we learn to live with the pain. I'm very fortunate to have found good doctors who understand what is going on. I get pain meds just by asking, though they were reluctant at first until I earned their trust by not over doing it. I've pretty much decided to stay where I'm at for a while because of these doctors, though a warmer winter climate is tempting. DW is always supportive and that is the most important thing needed to keep a positive outlook.

Life goes on and we learn to live with the pain. I'm very fortunate to have found good doctors who understand what is going on. I get pain meds just by asking, though they were reluctant at first until I earned their trust by not over doing it. I've pretty much decided to stay where I'm at for a while because of these doctors, though a warmer winter climate is tempting. DW is always supportive and that is the most important thing needed to keep a positive outlook.

Dash man, here is a book I am currently reading about neuroplasticity. It describes how our brains can adapt to various challenges, including pain. You might find it interesting.

http://www.amazon.ca/Brains-Way-Hea...1_twi_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426107979&sr=1-1

Replaced the front strut assemblies on my SUV. I've had an annoying clunk on bumps for a couple of years and neither my independent mechanic or I could find a cause. He recommended new struts and rear shocks for $1000. I bought the whole strut assemblies which include springs and mounts, plus rear shocks for $250, after rebates. The front struts took about 45 minutes a side to install. I'll do the rear shocks tomorrow. Not a bad job and not a bad hourly rate.

DW and I went snow skiing with a friend. Very good day... cold (winter is still here was ~20F with a light wind when we started out) but conditions were fabulous. I can't believe the amount of snow on the trails for this time of year. The area we went to is closing Sunday... not because of lack of snow or bad conditions... but more due to not enough skiers.

Took my 2002 Ford Explorer in for its annual state inspection. Passed with no additional costs for the second year in a row. Not bad for a 13 year old vehicle!

Workin' in the garden. Just 6 months ago I was doing equally physical work at my construction job - but these days I do it with a smile on my face. This is so much more rewarding and will be more so if my veggies actually grow. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Is the clunk gone?
I took a brief spin around the neighborhood and it seemed much better, but not 100% on big potholes. I may have to replace the lower control arms to completely silence any clunking. Those are a much harder part to replace and require an alignment afterward.

I had a similar issue with DW's Honda Pilot. I put off spending the $ to replace the front struts for a couple of years and ended up replacing the entire vehicle. The clunk never got any worse - and it is completely gone now. :)

Workin' in the garden. Just 6 months ago I was doing equally physical work at my construction job - but these days I do it with a smile on my face. This is so much more rewarding and will be more so if my veggies actually grow. ;)

I am sure your plants will grow. In the backyard of my city home, I have about 350 sq.ft. of planting bed for veggies. I put down about 1 cu.ft. of steer manure per 30 sq.ft. twice each year, and green leaf plants grow like crazy.

Sadly, with the temperature climbing up to the 90s already, the plants have all gone to seed. So, we just cleared them all out for the summer. It was good while it lasted.

Only okra and eggplant can stand up to this heat. When we are gone for the next RV trek, I have relatives living nearby who will stop by to pick them.

Spring wild turkey scouting!!! Found out I need to get in better shape!

Went in for my first ever MRI.
I had heard stories about claustrophobic patients who were frazzled by the experience, but it was no big deal at all.

They only put me in as far as my shoulders (problem is in my knee), so no feeling of confinement. It took 35 minutes total, but when I heard "10 minutes to go" in my headphones, I felt like only 5-10 minutes had elapsed. So I'm guessing I must have dozed off to the sound of the classical music and the vibration of the machine.

The MRI machine operated at only 0.35 Tesla (magnetic field strength), which surprised me. I had thought most of them were much stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom