what would you think about a $30 breakfast

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Now that I'm retired I like to go camping. Went with 3 other guys for a couple of days and we all pitched in for food but brought our own drinks.

The one camper was responsible for breakfast and made us some scrambled eggs, pancakes and sausage patties. The breakdown was that in total, there were 12 eggs used, 3 cups of pancake mix, a cup of milk, 3 Tbs of oil, 4 Tbs of butter. and about a pound of sausage.

The one camper of course took the rest of the materials back home with him. 3 sticks of butter, most of the syrup, oil, pancake mix, etc. He did not contribute anything else to the camp.

On the day we left he told us his contribution was $30!!! We were all credulous but grudging paid.

Am I right to think this is damn cheap??

Damn right he was cheap! For what he brought (bought) and with what he took home, no way was this $30. I would have just donated it. What did the other guys bring? I'd be interested.

/snip/
The breakdown was that in total, there were 12 eggs used, 3 cups of pancake mix, a cup of milk, 3 Tbs of oil, 4 Tbs of butter. and about a pound of sausage.

Being generous for him...

Eggs $1.80
Milk 2.00
Mix 2.00
butter 2.00
oil 2.00
Sausage 4.00

Total $13.80...

And that is him taking the rest home..... I would not invite him again...

Good friends like that are hard to come by.

Apparently you should have eaten more of the food to get your money's worth.

Maybe he was billing for the gasoline to buy the groceries and/or to drive them to the camp site?

Being generous for him...
Total $13.80.

Sounds like there were two breakfasts, and he probably spent 20 minutes preparing each one. That leaves $16.20 for his labor, or about $24 an hour. Hardly outrageous for a personal chef!

:LOL::facepalm:

Damn, thought you would have at least gotten steak and eggs for that much dinero !

If I count up everything he bought (not used) with my local prices, I could see it coming to about $30, especially if he isn't a good shopper. Syrup and sausage can get quite pricey if you get high end versions, and a dozen organic eggs run close to $5 around here.

But, I would not be camping with him again, at least not with similar arrangements.

Wow. I've been sailing/racing with crews for about 20 years, dozens of different people, some friends - some were strangers. We divvy up who brings what (food, drink, ice, boat stuff) and spread assigments around all summer. None of us have ever asked each other what they spent, or asked to be reimbursed. None of us go crazy with what we buy, but none of us would ever skimp either (quality or quantity). Anything left that's not perishable is left on the boat for whoever (I left some food & drink this past weekend), perishable stuff is put out in the cockpit and whoever wants it takes it before we all leave. I have no idea what others spend, and I couldn't care less...life is too short.

Last edited:
I just spent $80 for two " Gaston Acurio" hamburgers/ korean bbq spring roll appetizer/two lemonades/two waters and think you got the better deal!

Sounds like there were two breakfasts, and he probably spent 20 minutes preparing each one. That leaves $16.20 for his labor, or about $24 an hour. Hardly outrageous for a personal chef!

:LOL::facepalm:

No, just one breakfast

Seriously, you guys are just way too polite.
Anyone I know would, when asked for the $30, have said "For what?"

Without question, Braun. I have no filter and I have several cheap bastards that are great friends but I hold them accountable. When we go as a group, I got one friend, that always conveniently trying to buy one of the late rounds them mysteriously has to go home right before his next turn. So now I always yell out that the cheap bastard buys the first round, so we all don't get screwed. Everyone has a laugh and nothing he can say because he knows its true. If that had happened to me, I would've said something to the effect of do you think we are stupid, cheapass? I will pay you back double if you can prove it cost $30.

I would never invite him again.

+1.
Nor will I accept any invitation from him. Never mind him being cheap, but he is dishonest and took advantage of you guys. I would end any association with this person.

Seriously, you guys are just way too polite.
Anyone I know would, when asked for the $30, have said "For what?"

Well, we did kind of exclaim WTF?? And he said, "that's what the receipt said"

And I was the only one who then said well, geez you are taking 2/3 of it home with you, don't you think $30 is a bit high?? He sniffed and went off to pack up his stuff. I let him have $25 as the contribution.

Yeah, may not see him by the campfire again.

Back
Top Bottom