Anyone had a gonioscopy?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In August, my eye dr. suspected she saw a "narrowed drain angle" (caused by enlarged lens in one eye, which she said tends to happen as we age) and asked me to come back in October for a gonioscopy exam. She said that if the drain angle becomes blocked, I could develop sudden acute angle glaucoma. If the gonioscopy confirms the condition is present, I will need eye surgery to make a new drain hole.

Has anyone else experienced any of this? To the best of my knowledge, no one in my family has had glaucoma. Of course 3 of my grandparents died before they were my age, so who knows what they would have come down with if they'd lived longer.

Amethyst

Gonioscopy? This is the 1st time I have heard of that term.

I never have much medical knowledge, and have always been impressed when people use medical terms, or when posters here discuss medical conditions or treatments on the Health forum.

I don't know whether that means I am lucky (to be healthy - knock on wood), or it's more because I am ignorant (what I don't know can't hurt me, right?).

But, more and more, whenever I saw some medical discussions or threads here, my ears perk up. What is that, I wonder. Could that apply to me? Could that be something I am already afflicted with? Could that explain how I feel recently?

"Growing old is not for sissies", said Bette Davis. Sigh...

Last edited:
Amethyst, how scary! I never had this condition. I am so glad that it was discovered, and hope you are very careful to get the recommended procedure(s) and treatments. If you have any doubts, you can always get a second opinion. My understanding is that glaucoma is nothing to mess around with.

I've had my optic nerves viewed with a gonioscope. Basically its a multi-angle mirror. They numb your eyes and then use the mirror to see how the fluids are flowing.

I have "suspect glaucoma", which means my pressures are elevated but my optic nerves are normal. I have a combination of open angle and closed angle glaucoma. To ensure the pressures don't get out of control I've had a couple of surgeries.

I had iridotomies on both eyes about 5 years ago. They use a laser to make a small tunnel through the colored part of your eye. Takes about 3 minutes, no pain, just a little discomfort from the contact lens they use to direct the laser. (Edit: you can't see the tunnels - they are smaller than the tip of a pin)

Earlier this year I had an SLT on one eye. That one cleans out the trabecular meshwork to help the fluids flow better.

My pressures are still on the high side but my optic nerves are normal, so I go back every 3 to 6 months for monitoring.

Sudden acute closed angle glaucoma is no laughing matter - its a medical emergency and can lead to blindness.

Open angle glaucoma is very treatable and can be managed in a variety of ways.

Keep us posted !

Last edited:
I've heard of Goniometer but never of gonioscopy. Thought it referred repairing goniometers. In acient times it was used by mariners for triangulation, thus locationg ship's position. Was useful for artillery location as well. A sextant is a bit more advanced version.

That was what I thought. But then, I do not have a goni. Hmm... Must have been born without one. I kept reading of people who are born without this or that organ, whose effect is not obvious unless one knows where to look.

But then, I never heard of a "goni", though I did not fall asleep in HS biology class when we learned about human anatomy. So, pray tell, where is the goni and what does it look like?

The discussion of gonioscopy and "goni" reminded me of this question I ran across a while back.

"How many naugas one has to skin to have enough naugahyde to make a sofa?"

How can one answer that? First, we must know the size of the sofa. And are we talking full-grown male naugas or calf naugas here?

Last edited:
And I thought this was a female only topic:D

Amethyst,

I was diagnosed with "narrow angle" when going for a routine eye exam several year ago. I went for further test must and must have had a gonioscopy, but nobody told me. They "drilled" some holes with a laser and charged me around $1200 (my share). No history of glaucoma in the family and I am the only one with condition. My understanding is this more of a prevetitive operation in the event the drain becomes blocked. The only major pain involved was the price tag.

BooBoo

Thanks to those who've shared their experiences, and sympathy is always welcome. Since it has to do with my eyes, I'm naturally nervous. As Mr. A. likes to say about his glasses, I only use them for seeing.

Amethyst

Thanks to those who've shared their experiences, and sympathy is always welcome. Since it has to do with my eyes, I'm naturally nervous. As Mr. A. likes to say about his glasses, I only use them for seeing.

Amethyst
When my mother was old and living in a nursing home, she had acute glaucoma and lost most vision in one eye. He problem was not noticed until my sister went to vist her, apparently several days on.

As you mentioned, it is an important thing to get looked after. I am sure it will go well for you.

Ha

I am very nearsighted and have a family history of glaucoma. When I was in my 30s I went to an ophthalmologist who did a procedure that was like you are describing.

It was during my regular eye exam and he said he wanted to examine my eyes with a different instrument. He numbed my eye, applied a lubricant and used a large lens type thing on the surface of my eye. He moved it around like he was peering into the far reaches of my eyeball. This took longer than the usual exam. He had the lights off and my glasses were off so I could not see what he was using but it felt like a large lens.

Everything looked fine in there so I never had to have that kind of exam again. He did not tell me the name of the procedure or tell me what he was going to do which annoyed me. I didn't like him in general so I did not go back. I found another ophthalmologist.

There was no pain as my eye was numb. It was not uncomfortable outside of having this thing applied to your eyeball and the lid being kept open. I would have appreciated an explanation and a chance to ask questions.

Don't worry about the procedure. Good luck with the results.

Back
Top Bottom