Breakfast of Champions

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What do most eat in the morning here? Most days I have a bowl of rice or corn chex with fat free milk. I add one packet of splenda with california golden raisins and walnuts. For additional protein I have two soft boiled eggs. :dance:

My breakfast goal is always high protein, high fat, low carb. It helps keep me sated early in the days and lets me eat more carbs later before/during/after workouts. Thus:

Weekdays (before w*rk):
~2/3 cup (4%fat) cottage cheese
~1/3 cup 2% Kefir
scoop of vanilla whey protein isolate powder
1/4 - 1/3 cup of blue/rasp/blackberries

Mix really well

If I'm training a lot (triathons), I'll add some granola to this. Also take my fish oil in the morning, and drink a tall glass of water with my coffee/heavy whipping cream.

Weekends:
3 eggs scrambled w/ salsa
1/2 avocado
bacon
fruit (berries or tangelo...)

Water/coffee/fish oil.

I've found the morning kefir, as well as unrefined potato starch with water before bed, have really helped my digestion.

40g old-fashioned oatmeal, with 14g raisins, cinnamon, and a cup of water.
1 cup greek yogurt blended with 1/4 cup fruit
1/2 large grapefruit
1 cup regular coffee
1 cup decaf coffee

That breaks down to 327 calories, 60g carbohydrates, 3g fat, 19g protein, 10 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, and 731 mg potassium.

Later in the morning I'll eat some nuts to bring the fat intake up a bit.

Not that I'm tracking this in detail or anything... :D

Bacon or sausage (occasionally SPAM), with eggs fried in butter.
Coffee with heavy cream and Splenda.

That has been my breakfast of choice for many years.

Totally unhealthy, but I am not a morning person. I start my days with a Coke (leaded version). I have started trying to drink more water...but if I'm stressed out at work, I have at least one more 12 oz. later in the day. What can I say? It's a vice of mine.

I'm a big fan of protein in the morning - seems to keep me sated longer. So usually an egg or two. Sometimes wrapped in a tortilla to make an egg burrito. If I have avocado in the house I'll dice that into the burrito (1/4 of an avocado - we're a family of 4 and will use one avocado for the whole mess of us.)

Coffee. Large amounts. with low fat milk. But that's not just for breakfast. I tend to alternate coffee and water throughout the day.

coffee for breakfast and I usually don't eat until 4 in the afternoon

Coffee, always black, usually a cup of Southern Pecan K-cup..or maybe three.

If available...a banana

Sometimes Cheerios with milk and another banana sliced in with it.

Otherwise, more coffee.

On weekends, Denny's Senior egg-white omelet with veggies, fruit cup and oatmeal.

I usually have an omelet with veggies and cheese in it. I may also add some ham and bacon to it.

Once I week I have pancakes or waffles.

I often include some berries with cream with the above.

Coffee, of course.

Black coffee. Usually either an egg over medium and ½ a Thomas's 100% whole wheat English muffin or half a bowl of Kashi Go Lean with a small banana and skim milk.

But the past two weeks it's been a microwaved scrambled egg with a little 2% cheese - my "canary in the dresser drawer" shorts told me recently that it was time to go back on South Beach phase 1 again. I'll add a piece of turkey bacon starting tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Every morning:
6 oz orange juice
1 piece whole wheat toast with peanut butter
2 cups green tea w/lemon

Alternating mornings:
Kashi cereal w/skim milk

Oatmeal

1 fried egg w/sausage link

Pre-breakfast - coffee, black.
Several hours latter, 2 eggs lightly steamed with shredded full fat cheese, either a plate of vegetables, or fruit with walnuts and kefir.

When at home: Cereal, milk and coffee almost every morning. Sometimes add a side of banana or cantaloupe if I have them in the house.

I deviate from this substantially when traveling if the hotel includes a full breakfast, which I usually take full advantage of: bacon, ham, waffles, etc.

Not at home breakfast (usually HI Express):

2 flavored yogurt cups
One cup of crappy coffee
Two slices of lightly cooked bacon or sausage links
Instant scrambled eggs - about a cup (cold of course)
Cinnamon roll (heated). (this roll is very good, BTW)

I used to do Rice Chex, but now I do oatmeal with walnuts and craisins and scoop of whey isolate powder. And a glass of skim milk. I think altogether that's about 40 g of protein for breakfast. If I want the oatmeal sweetened or some caffeine, then I make it with Coca-Cola or something like that instead of water.

I try to vary my breakfasts but in general I prefer to emphasize protein and fat.

Beverage is 67% likely to be strong organic coffee with milk (2 mugs) or tea (loose leaf, varied flavours)

Examples of what I might eat:
A 2-egg omelette with whatever is lying around in the refrigerator added OR
Frittata OR
Grilled bacon & sausage OR
Steamed eggs with toast OR
Greek yoghurt with berries OR
Bagel with cream cheese OR
Fruit and yoghurt smoothie OR
Granola with milk and fruit OR
Charcuterie

This morning I had an omelette with cherry tomatoes and a bit of asparagus and asiago dip. I also love pesto in omelettes!

Last edited:
Alternate, either oatmeal with a little honey, walnuts or almonds and craisins or plain yogurt with blueberries or banana. Always a glass of water, then at work I keep a bottle of Kefir and have a glass of that or a cup of coffee with cream and sugar during the morning. Once in a while I have eggs or a bagel but I always seem to be in a hurry so the oatmeal or yogurt are my fast food.

.........If I want the oatmeal sweetened or some caffeine, then I make it with Coca-Cola or something like that instead of water.

Really, never heard of this. How's it taste?

1/2 cup oatmeal
2 tsp ground flax seed
1 cup frozen berries
1 cup water
Mix all in bowl, microwave for 2 minutes, stir, microwave again for 30-60 sec.

That's what I have everyday. It's fast/easy and healthy, and tides me over to lunch most of the time.

Repetition is so boring. I use the Gourmet Epicurian Connoisseur's Meal Generator to design a unique menu for every breakfast.

Right. So you're going to hoof it down to Trader Joe's in your dressing gown to pick up the exotic ingredients that the program dictates. Here's what I got....

Roasted Kale and Chicken with a side of Fermented Pulled Pork and Muskrat Jam

Really? :nonono::nonono:

Right. So you're going to hoof it down to Trader Joe's in your dressing gown to pick up the exotic ingredients that the program dictates.

THIS is why we need drone delivery services!
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom