Drinking water

How many ounces of water do you drink a day?

• 0-16

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • 17-32

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • 33-48

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • 49-64

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • 65-80

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • 81+

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters
I drank at least 3 liters a day of water and usually more. Two of the three will be enhanced with electrolytes, amino energy mix or bcaa's. I'm in training for an athletic event so my needs are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have a tendency to get kidney stones. The urologist said that I should drink enough water to produce more than 2L of urine a day, and that I had to drink more in the summer due to sweating. Then, he gave me a 1-gal jug to collect my 24-hr urine for measuring as well as testing its composition. I was trying to pass a stone, so gave back to him a full jug.

Since then, I try to have plenty of fluid intake, but have no idea how much it amounts to. I guess it's more than 2L.

... Before I had RO, I drank a lot less since it was full of who knows what (city tap water)...

"Never drink water. Fish make love in it.” -- W.C. Fields.

When I'm thirsty and so the urine runs fairly clear. That of course varies a lot with exercise and weather.

This reminds me of going through Air Force survival school. We spent about 7 days out in the woods doing lots of 'survival' stuff which included drinking lots of water. On occasion, an instructor would come look in the snow where I had peed to make sure it wasn't a dark yellow color. If it wasn't to the instructors satisfaction, you got to drink an entire canteen of water before moving on.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I am kidney stone prone too and drinking water is a must.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When you passed stones as big as this, you'd remember to drink plenty of water. :cool:

This photo was already posted in this forum a few years ago. Took 2 painful weeks.

^ Ouch! I had one in Saudi...don't recall passing it, but I must've......just having it was painful enough.

Surprisingly, 10 years before passing that 9mm stone, I passed a much smaller stone, which was a sliver looking like a grain of rice, but with sharp edges. That stone cut the ureter and perhaps tumbled and punctured, causing a lot of pain and much bleeding.

The big stone pictured above caused less pain that the earlier small stone, surprisingly.

Or perhaps my "inside passages" have been all hollowed out after all these years. :D

Getting knocked down and run over by a large City of Ottawa truck*, as I was, wasn't anywhere near as painful as the kidney stone, so I can imagine how you felt.

*The paramedics rushed me to the trauma hospital because my ankle bone was exposed and they feared I'd lose my foot.....a couple ER nurses commented on how 'stoic' I was......they didn't give me painkillers in case the foot had to be operated on, so I lay there for 8 hours......when the doc, (still no painkillers), was going to sew up the ankle he said "This is going to hurt"....I waited until he was halfway done and said "Ready when you are"...to the response of "Smart ass".

And that was nowhere near as bad as the kidney stone.

When you passed stones as big as this, you'd remember to drink plenty of water. :cool:

This photo was already posted in this forum a few years ago. Took 2 painful weeks.

Wow, that is crazy big! Mine was only 2mm and it still hurt like hell (had to take Vicodin to kill the pain for 1.5 days until I passed it.)

They didn't consider sonic blasting it?

I suffered kidney stone pain for decades literally, thinking it was my back or something else. Thinking back, I was passing stones all the time without realizing it. Then when in my 40s, had severe pain and bleeding from a stone that landed me in ER. There, they diagnosed it, saw on X-ray that it did not obstruct urine flow, so sent me home with the instruction to go see a urologist. And I was just glad it was just kidney stone and nothing life threatening.

The urologist had another X-ray, saw that the stone had moved, so just had me tough it out. He gave me a screen to try to catch it for analysis, the grain-of-rice stone (it was mostly calcium oxalate).

When I had the huge stone 10 years later, it was caused by my eating a lot of cheese in one sitting (calcium!), followed by a big spinach salad (oxalate!). This time, I "knew" it was a kidney stone, so did not even bother to go to see a doctor and just toughed it out. No pain killer at all. And it did not hurt or caused bleeding like the previous tiny stone. So, I tried to catch it using the screen I kept from 10 years earlier, and it shocked me to see how big it was (it was dark with blood!)

So, I do not know what they would do if they saw a stone that big.

Anyway, I have not had anything as dramatic as that 9mm stone, just an occasional pain when I forgot to drink enough water. :)

Last edited:
I don't drink much of anything and I'm suppose to due to my migraines. I use to wake up almost every morning with a migraine. The migraines are cause by dehydration. I'm never thirsty and if I try to drink/force more water I feel sick. I try to drink more coffee/tea/juice now to stop the migraines.

I drink a lot of water everyday, and even more on hot days or if I'm biking or walking or working outside in the gardens or yard. Normally I down at least 8 oz. as soon as I get up in the morning, and another 16-20 oz. with breakfast, along with coffee. Another 16-20 oz. with lunch, and the same again with supper. Between meals I usually drink anywhere from 16-32 oz., and then between supper time and bedtime I drink another 16-20 oz. If I get the urge to snack, I usually just drink a glass of water instead, and find that the urge normally goes away!

Water is my #1 drink of choice. I've cut way back on coffee in the last couple of weeks, and have only been drinking about a cup and a half with breakfast. I drink 6-8 oz. of cranberry, pomegranate, or orange juice almost every day, and maybe 8-12 oz. of milk per week. I almost never drink pop.

Most of my water consumption is from caffeine free fruit iced tea. I add 3 packets of Truvia per 96 ounces for a little extra sweetness. Sometimes I add 2 green tea bags to the mix. I have a tea maker and make 3 quarts per batch. It doesn't last long.
My favorite flavor of fruit tea...Bella Coola
http://www.englishteastore.com/1mt-bccf.html

For a change of pace, I will also make limeade and lemonade by the 16 oz glass using a healthy splash of the RealLemon/Lime concentrated products.
Half a packet of Truvia is plenty for that.

And then of course there is Coors Lite...:cool:

A timely update from the Clinical Journal Of Sports Medicine on drinking & exercise. Short answer - drink when thirsty. I add a 24hr replenish rule during the hot months to bring my body weight back to pre-workout status. RLR (rinse lather repeat)

The updated statement emphasizes a more balanced approach to hydration—especially during the summer months, when exercising in the heat increases the risk for developing dangerously low blood sodium levels associated with overdrinking

"Using the innate thirst mechanism to guide fluid consumption is a strategy that should limit drinking in excess and developing hyponatremia (low blood sodium) while providing sufficient fluid to prevent excessive dehydration,"

'Drink when thirsty' to avoid fatal drops in blood sodium levels during exercise

Back
Top Bottom