High cholesterol problem

Since I started this thread in February, I have undergone a low fat, low cholesterol and reduced carbohydrate diet with much increased exercise sessions. DH who tested high cholesterol went through the same. So, we got our recent blood tests results, and here's an update BUT first I must say, I am quite quite upset with mine. DH's resultes are great as cholesterol level is back to normal range and he lost 5 lbs. My total cholesterol has not budged a bit and still stands at 7.8. HDL (good cholesterol) is still high and unchanged at 2.1. LDL (bad one) has only dropped 0.1 unit and stands at 5.2. The ratio remains at average risk. But I lost 7 lbs which is quite a lot and I had no intention to lose weight (though I quite like the slimmer figure but wish to just maintain this weight and not lose more). Whilst I've changed the type of food I take, I had not decreased the volume. The doctor said my cholesterol level could be genetic (my siblings all have high cholesterol). She said to continue my diet and exercise. I also did a liver function test this time and it turned out fine. Am scheduled to do a liver/gall bladder scan end of the month to confirm no fatty liver. What more should I be doing - other than a blood transfusion:confused:?? I've not had a clam or a piece of cream cake for ages! My last prawn was in Feb, I think.

Based on what I've read over the last few years, the whole premise that high cholesterol causes heart disease is a myth, based on little or no hard research. Inflammation is now thought to be the major cause of heart disease (and many other chronic diseases), and there are blood tests that test for inflammation in the body (CRP, for one). Also, a low fat diet is perhaps the worst type of diet to be on for heart health (especially if you are replacing the fat with carbs and sugar/fructose, as many people do).

If you don't believe me, check out some of the latest advice and research........here a a few links to start with:

Heart Disease / Cholesterol

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!

The Definitive Guide to Cholesterol | Mark's Daily Apple

Back
Top Bottom