Poll: Flu 2017/18 Season - Flu and Shot

Flu and Shot

• Yes I got a Flu shot this season and have not got the Flu (so far)

Votes: 168 62.0%
  • Yes I got a Flu shot this season and still got the Flu

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • No I did not get a Flu shot this season and have not got the Flu (so far)

Votes: 71 26.2%
  • No I did not get a Flu shot this season and I did get the Flu

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I don't know if it was the Flu but I was sick as a dog

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never get a flu shot. Never get the flu (literally).
Knock on wood, of course.

Same here. Have had cancer, but most years I don't even get a cold.:cool:

I credit never getting a cold and/or the flu to my very powerful morning smoothie, which include frozen cranberries and blueberries. Seriously.

I credit never getting a cold and/or the flu to my very powerful morning smoothie, which include frozen cranberries and blueberries. Seriously.

Yes, I also do believe in the antioxidant concept. Just don't like blueberries.:(
However going to the Florida Strawberry festival today.:dance:

OK, so this poll closes today. :dance:
Lot of ways to slice, dice and interpreter this limited amount of data but here's a couple of simple pie charts that compare who got the flu and who didn't with a flu shot and who got the flu and who didn't without a flu shot. I dropped the sick as a dog group off since we don't know if they got a shot and if they had the flu or not.

From a percentage perspective, it looks like a higher percent of people got the flu with a shot VS the percentage of people who got the flu without a shot. (Probably a statistical tie with the limited data, but interesting.) Also doesn't say anything about the severity of those who got the flu with or without a shot.

Attachments

• Flu 2-1.png
    Flu 2-1.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This would never get past peer review and would be rejected by any scientific journal. Consider it for entertainment only!

Hey it's been published on the ER forum, what more can you ask! I'm sure some professional polling firm would be more credible! :LOL:

Last edited:
Yeah, how likely is it to report the snoozey headline "Had shot... Didn't get sick", vs the surprising result.

Never get a flu shot. Never get the flu (literally).
Knock on wood, of course.

+1. My wife wants me to start getting them anyway. Might my resistance fall as I age? I usually do get a cold in the winter, but this was my first year of RE, I was not out amongst the other working folk, and I had not even a sniffle.

No flu shots in this household, but DW has been laid up with a bad case of flu for over a week now, and about as sick as I recall ever seeing her. She’s up and about today, but we like to do things together, so I thought I’d take the reins from her. First time for either of us.

The right to question to ask is, was the duration of the flu shorter in the "got the flu shot" group? At least that's what I would like to know, and some of you said yes, and that is encouraging to me to continue to get the flu shot.

The results suggest it's true, going to the doctor to get a flu shot exposes a person to the flu, since it's sick folks with the flu that go see the doctor.

I should be able to order my flu shot on Amazon and give it to myself, no need to leave the house.

The results suggest it's true, going to the doctor to get a flu shot exposes a person to the flu, since it's sick folks with the flu that go see the doctor.

I should be able to order my flu shot on Amazon and give it to myself, no need to leave the house.

I get mine at the pharmacy, where it’s not crowded and there is minimal waiting time.

Just got over the flu, took almost 2 weeks to get it completely out of my system. Pretty sure I picked it up on the flight back from Asia, hit me about 2 days after getting back. I did get the flu shot back in October but it didn't appear to offer any help in reducing the symptoms although not really sure since this is the first time I got the flu in about 30 years.

Just recovered from the flu, took me three days, my October flu shot might have helped.

No flu shots in this household, but DW has been laid up with a bad case of flu for over a week now, and about as sick as I recall ever seeing her. She’s up and about today, but we like to do things together, so I thought I’d take the reins from her. First time for either of us.

^ ^ ^
Flu shots next year?
Yes. Next year, and every year after that. This was nasty and anything I can do to minimize it's recurrence is worthwhile.

I accidentally voted wrong. I decided to wait, just in case my typo became fact, but it did not. We did not get the flu shot and did NOT get the flu. We are both such homebodies that we are rarely exposed to people who have the flu. If an Admin wants to change my vote, I would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom