Poll:Brussels sprouts - yum or yuck?

Do you like brussel sprouts?

• Gimme some, no matter how they're made!

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Depends on how they're made.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Eh, I'll have a couple, however they're made.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Ugh, no way!

Votes: 38 23.3%

• Total voters
Brussel Sprouts: Yum

Noticed the current poll results. Seems they are the Don Rickles or Jerry Lewis of vegetables. A lot of people love them. A lot hate them. Few people are on the fence.

If I had an AI illustration tool, I'd make a brusssel sprout that looks like Don Rickles' head—the shapes are similar!

I cut them in half or more slices if they are larger, saute them with a little salt until charred mostly. It takes only a few minutes or they start to get soggy. Asparagus can be cooked the same way.

Brussel Sprouts are one of the few veggies I can eat. I’m fructose intolerant, so I am very limited in how much I can eat of any veggie, but Brussel Sprouts and broccoli are the two I can tolerate best other than potatoes.

Noticed the current poll results. Seems they are the Don Rickles or Jerry Lewis of vegetables. A lot of people love them. A lot hate them. Few people are on the fence.

I had to plug "brussel sprout that looks like Don Rickles' head" into an online AI image generator. This was one of the less terrifying images that came out:

Attachments

• dr_1.jpg
    dr_1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
I grew up hating them, but eventually I learned how to cook them properly. Now I really like them.

Used to hate them , but over time I think our palates change.

As a child, I was a very picky eater. In my late teens I had the opportunity to have my palate changed by hunger. Then an even better opportunity to marry a resourceful woman who can cook.

Yes, but only if they're tossed in olive oil with bacon and cranberries then roasted. Or in a soup, great replacement for cabbage.

DW cuts them in half and stir fries them in a wok pan with olive oil and bacon. They are tasty that way, probably due to the olive oil and bacon :).

Nope, don't like them fixed any way. I do have to laugh at the answers where you put a bunch of other stuff so you cover the taste of the brussel sprouts.

OK - so the new BS are better - because ... they were changed by breeders in the 1990s.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ts taste better,plant breeders for the change.

"In the late 1990s scientists identified specific chemicals, called glucosinolates, that made Brussels sprouts taste bitter. Plant breeders started growing old seeds, previously discarded for producing paltry harvests, to identify tastier versions with lower levels of these compounds. Then they crossed these delicious but low-yield plants with modern, more prolific individuals until they found a descendant that made plenty of tasty sprouts, transforming the once maligned vegetable from a bitter pill into a popular side dish."

I love brussel sprouts using the following recipe:

1 pound bacon
1 brussel sprout
1 tbsp butter

I like them just plain steamed. A little butter is good, but not absolutely necessary.

There is a big difference between really fresh Brussels sprouts and not as fresh. I haven’t made any in a long time. If they are tough they are awful.

Brussels sprouts originally came from the Rome area, but in the 16th century for some reason became a very popular crop in the Belgium area (Belgium wasn’t a country until 1800s), thus the name.

And just for the record, I have spent a great deal of time in Brussels, eating in dozens of restaurants all over the city, but I have never, not even once, seen them on a menu. :LOL:

And just for the record, I have spent a great deal of time in Brussels, eating in dozens of restaurants all over the city, but I have never, not even once, seen them on a menu. :LOL:
No, spent 3 days in Brussels recently and didn’t see them anywhere.
And just to add a little dimension, they're called “spruitjes” in Dutch, “choux de Bruxelles” in French and “rosenkohl” in German, the three national languages of Belgium.
Spruitjes translates to little sprouts.

Rose cabbage is pretty cute for German.

Last edited:
I like them roasted.

Zaytinia in Washington D.C and New York., restaurants owned by chef José Andrés (World Central Kitchen), has Crispy Brussels Afelia on it's menu, and it is extraordinarily delicious. I went there last Februarly with a friend and loved everything on the menu. I never liked steamed or boiled Brussels sprouts, but roasting them brings out sweetness and eliminates the bitterness. So now I buy fresh Brussels sprouts and roast them, with garlic and olive oil. If you're ever in NYC or Washington DC, I cannot recommend Zaytinia enough.

We cut them in half sprinkle with Olive Oil and a little Mrs. Dash and Air Fry them cut side up in our AT Oven until they brown.

Steamed with butter added on them. Perfect!

anything that holds butter like that is OK by me.

"We cut them in half sprinkle with Olive Oil and a little Mrs. Dash and Air Fry them cut side up in our AT Oven until they brown."

That too :)

I like to fry a couple of strips of bacon, and then toss chopped ones in some of the grease and cut the bacon into bits and put it back in there, and put it with a couple of eggs. Other things can go in that mixup like onions.

Last edited:
Love them!!!!

We eat them a few different ways: fresh chopped in a salad, roasted until crispy, or pan fried with a little onion and bacon. We make them frequently and had brussel sprouts yesterday as part of our Thanksgiving menu.

Back
Top Bottom