Poll:Brussels sprouts - yum or yuck?

Do you like brussel sprouts?

• Gimme some, no matter how they're made!

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Depends on how they're made.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Eh, I'll have a couple, however they're made.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Ugh, no way!

Votes: 38 23.3%

• Total voters
I am rather like the end of "Green Eggs and Ham" with them.

I will eat them here or there, I will eat them anywhere.

I will eat them steamed, baked, sauteed, air fried, seasoned or plain.

Currently there is a cabbage in the refrigerator with my name on it, but after that's gone . . .

We don't have them for Thanksgiving.

Not my favorite veggie. Growing up, the only way Mom could get us to eat them was to smother them in a good home made cheese sauce!
Now I will eat them 1-2 times a year--cut in half, roasted in the oven until crispy with parmesan cheese, garlic, bacon.

DW slices them in half, steams them in a tiny bit of water in a non stick pan then just as they are close to done puts a little tamari soy sauce and saute's them for a few minutes.Very good.

I'll eat them any which way, but the best I've ever had was at this place on Long Island that I went to with my friends who live nearby. Crispy charred sprouts with sesame, honey, and szechuan aioli.

Gag!. Err, Yuck.

Meat and potatoes for me.

Same. We went out for a family style buffet and I had A LOT of mashed potatoes and A LOT of ham with a decent amount of turkey. I had a spoon full of corn just to point out to my Mom that I had some veggies. Nothing else for me: meat and potatoes is the way to go IMO.

I would probably eat a little bit of brussels sprouts if they were in front of me but I would never buy them or prepare them myself.

It depends. I love em kinda charred & crispy aka roasted, grilled, or fried! I can't stand em any other way.

Same. We went out for a family style buffet and I had A LOT of mashed potatoes and A LOT of ham with a decent amount of turkey. I had a spoon full of corn just to point out to my Mom that I had some veggies. Nothing else for me: meat and potatoes is the way to go IMO

We might need another poll: Corn - vegetable or grain?

But of course it is vegetable matter at least.

I don’t eat meat and this is one of my favorite vegetables. But I do remember bitter version when growing up and there’s a world of difference between that and what we eat now.

Yes, they are good. Lots of good ways to make them. I like them steamed, in a cheese sauce, or my favorite, smashed and roasted till they are browned and extra tasty.

This is the craziest coincidence! A couple of days ago, for some unknown reason, a video popped up from a chef raving about brussel sprouts. He was so enthusiastic, I decided I had to try his recipe. After all I hadn't had them in decades. Maybe my palate has changed? I hated them, esp. the smell.
THEN, while roasting them in the oven and killing time reading this site, this question pops up! What?! Is the universe trying to tell me something? So weird.
I decided to take it up a notch and cooked some bacon to go with.
We just finished eating and I've got to say, not my fave nor my spouse's. However, not as nasty as I remember. The smell, however, is a real turnoff.

Oddly, I started to like Brussels sprouts and also spinach at around the same age, despite not really liking either during earlier childhood years.

Perhaps coincidently, both are high in iron.

Back
Top Bottom