Reasons Why People Retire Early

I loved my work for the first 24 years (medicine) but the last 2 years were brutal. No work/life balance, too much sadness (Hematology/Oncology) and too many "rules". I was a textbook case of burn-out.

Early retirement has given me back my mojo. I wake up happy every day looking forward to more adventures, even if the adventure is learning how to make a killer tortilla soup. Absolutely no regrets.

+ 1,(if I'm honest with myself). That, plus the acknowledgement that I am playing the back 9 was all I needed.

These thoughts seem to echo what I am presently feeling with 7 months and 20 days to go. There is just so much more out there to enjoy if you have the ability to do so. I tell my friends when they say "what will you do", what ever I want. You know you don't get the months, days and years back. One has to enjoy the time they have. That and w$rk is highly overrated especially if one is SI with the RE to come in March 2013. Sometimes the DW and I discuss how fortunate we are with our pensions (DW ER'd in May) kind of reminds me of the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" every once and a while along with the old saying "I would rather be lucky than good". :cool:

T-bird (SIRE in 2013)

Sometimes the DW and I discuss how fortunate we are with our pensions (DW ER'd in May) kind of reminds me of the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" every once and a while along with the old saying "I would rather be lucky than good". :cool:

T-bird (SIRE in 2013)

good fortune? Perhaps partly. But, I'll bet if you look back on the last 20-30 years you made a lot of decisions to end up with that pension, you gave up things, you skipped certain "opportunities", you deferred gratification, etc. Many people could have done the same, but they chose not to do so.

Reasons Why People Retire Early

My $0.02 worth is that this is the wrong question - the better question is "reasons why people keep working when they don't have to"

I have a bucket list of reasons to retire (either end of 2012 or early 2013) but can't think of too many reasons to carry on beyond that.

Life is a finite quantity and every extra day I spend in the work force is a day I am not out there doing better and more interesting things. Right now I am begrudging every minute I am spending in the office (time spent surfing the internet excluded :angel: ).

good fortune? Perhaps partly. But, I'll bet if you look back on the last 20-30 years you made a lot of decisions to end up with that pension, you gave up things, you skipped certain "opportunities", you deferred gratification, etc. Many people could have done the same, but they chose not to do so.

Looking back there is alot of truth in your comment. We all have to make decisions regarding "opportunities" and what to do with our earnings. Planning for DW and my retirement has been an active process since mid-80's. It's nice to see the fruits of our efforts come to pass.

Because I didn't have to earn a living anymore, i.e. I was financially independent.

When my husband died suddenly last year at age 58 I decided that life is too short to spend only 20% of it doing the things that I liked, spending time with children and grandchildren. Because of his caring about the future, I am able to retire at 59. Now I just need to pick the date and I will be free.

Welcome ! I can totally understand .

Here at the Pentagon, there are folks who retire from the US military after 30 years, then continue to work for upwards of 15 more years as a GS. One guy in my office did 20+ in the USMC, retired in '81, and is still here plugging away every day.
Even though this guy's a Marine, I think that many veterans of all services within 50 miles of the Pentagon feel a burning desire to measure their relevance by how many dogs they have in the fight...

... although to be perfectly fair in our comparison, we should also determine how many are still working due to divorce/alimony agreements.

Chuckanut said:

I agree with your sentiment, but I find the idea that we are mostly lucky makes us a little more humble and easier to be around. "I have been very fortunate" is easier for others to deal with than "I am so smart/good planner//hard worker,etc." We will still know the truth.

I kept the job that paid the most, with the best retirement benefits. From the start, it was obvious that I only needed to stay there until I could afford to retire. I'm embarrassed about how long I had to stay, but early retirement has been the best years of my life.

+1

While luck certainly plays a role, all the good fortune in the world is unlikely to help most of us if we don't make a fair number of good decisons along the road to ER.

DH and mine was mostly luck. I read the Fire & Money posts and wish i knew half as much as these folks learned. I just never realized. (sigh, but oh well)

The only semi-smart things we did were start 403b's and keep expenses (esp. mortgage) below what the bank told us we could afford.

However we arrive at retirement, more power to all of us. It is so sweet.

Deciding Factor: Time or Money?

Retiring last June, at 59, came about 4 years earlier than expected.

I'd made the "economically unfeasible" choices in college: majored in English without wanting to go to law school. Then became a teacher out of sheer altruism, motivation, perspiration and the (naive) hope that I might make the world a better place (if I could help teenagers learn to read critically and deeply, write fluently and honestly, and think logically and globally.) Thirty-seven years later, I've only rarely regretted the choice, usually when grading essays on nights, weekends, Christmas, and every spring break. I even took 2 years off to earn another "impractical" degree (an MA in English and American Lit.).

I was lucky enough to marry a great guy with degrees in chemistry, biology and theology. After feeling cloistered as a pastor, he wanted to work out in the "regular world." So he got a job in pharmaceutical sales, from which he retired after many successful years. (Read: he made a lot more $ than I did.)

There have been major challenges throughout our marriage (losing a child, adopting another one who developed mental illness, then my husband developed serious COPD about 28 years ago.........and he had never smoked); for sanity's sake, I spent most of my career only working part-time. So I never built up as much service credit as I would need. However, we have been frugal and responsible in saving for retirement. I also knew that, by working until 63, I could provide for myself the highest possible teacher's pension.

But, a year ago, we learned that my husband's lungs had deteriorated to the point that he functions on only 20% breathing capacity. He decided to take disability retirement at 62. My quandary was this: do I work another 4 years to improve my pension? or do I retire with less and, thus, "buy" those four years with my husband instead?

In effect, did I want extra time with my husband? or another year of paychecks?

I chose the husband, and have not regretted it for a moment. We did all the careful math and-- because of our pensions, 30 yrs. of LBYM, and our taste for a simple life-- all has worked out just fine. We can read and discuss all the books we want. We volunteer, go to the park, drink coffee any time in the AM, visit friends whenever we like. Many precious enjoyments are free.

Henry David Thoreau mourned those who live their lives in "quiet desperation." So he went to the woods to "live deliberately." So might each of us, whether we live near the woods or not.

Or, as Whitman says in "Song of Myself," "I loaf and invite my soul."

The best of life, IMHO, lies beyond the paychecks and politics of a career. Don't get me wrong: I loved mine. But there came a point when I wanted as much time with my husband as possible! :)

Litgal, thank you for sharing such a touching piece. Wishing you more wonderful and enjoyable years. Enjoy your retirement!

...(snip)...
The best of life, IMHO, lies beyond the paychecks and politics of a career. Don't get me wrong: I loved mine. But there came a point when I wanted as much time with my husband as possible! :)
Sounds like you made the right choices for you in life. In ER you can enjoy the benefits having a literature background too. Think of all those novels to read and analyze. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Litgal, thank you for sharing such a touching piece. Wishing you more wonderful and enjoyable years. Enjoy your retirement!

+1,000,000!!!

You truly appreciate the value of time vs $.

Back
Top Bottom