Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazingly my night driving is fine. I don't care to drive at night, but I can see OK when I have to do so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Amazingly my night driving is fine. I don't care to drive at night, but I can see OK when I have to do so.

My night driving might be a bit worse, but that's okay. If I scare myself I just close my eyes.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

"What we can't do anymore"

Instead of enumerating the long list of what we were able to do, let's count things that we can still. It's easier that way, counting on your fingers.

What a pathetic bunch of geezers we are! Readers of this forum say "No wonder they retire early".
Old 05-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

A geezer couple was sitting on a swing in the front porch.

The woman reminisced about the old days "I still remember the romantic time, when you would gently nibble my ear lobe".

The geezer sighed "OK, wait here for me to go get my dentures".
Old 05-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #65

67, My eyesight is better than it ever was -cataract surgery. OTOH DW has mentioned that I may have a hearing problem. I dont see any problems with that - silence is golden.

Having had some broken bones in the past, seems it was too long ago they no longer function as weather predictors.

Until age 62 or so I could not not figure skate, now I am pretty good at it. I guess overall I would call it a draw.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Now I remember what it was!

Years ago, I could glance at young women and nobody thought much about it. Now they think it is creepy!

Google "peripheral vision" and start this hobby back up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I just had this 'discussion' with some family members about at what age men should stop wearing shorts...the ones the stop way above the knees. I see a lot of men in inappropriate shorts (ie ugly). The group felt like it was a strange question and the closing comment was "you haven't been to Florida lately, have you?".

My view is there is a point where older men should stop wearing shorts, especially since now there are lots of choices in tropical weight long pants.

This came up because a male in the family group was speaking about what older women should not wear, and I wanted to mention that there are items of clothing that older men should not be wearing. The interesting thing for me was that none of them had ever considered the subject.
timo, this reminded me of a story my Dad told me about going to see the doctor about 10 years ago (he's 72). He was complaining about having red marks on his chest (we are very fair skinned and these are little random, harmless petechiae) and saying that he didn't like how they looked when he took his shirt off.

The doc, very seriously, said "Mack, you are now at an age you don't need to be taking your shirt off ever again, in public" and left it at that.

I still laugh at his indignance to be told he should be fully-clothed in public at his age.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
I certainly hope you've been to a doctor about the shaking. My wife also had some tremors, and she figured out is was one of her prescriptions. Your problem might be something just as simple.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I just had this 'discussion' with some family members about at what age men should stop wearing shorts...the ones the stop way above the knees. I see a lot of men in inappropriate shorts (ie ugly). The group felt like it was a strange question and the closing comment was "you haven't been to Florida lately, have you?".

My view is there is a point where older men should stop wearing shorts, especially since now there are lots of choices in tropical weight long pants.

This came up because a male in the family group was speaking about what older women should not wear, and I wanted to mention that there are items of clothing that older men should not be wearing. The interesting thing for me was that none of them had ever considered the subject.

Because it is not a subject that needs to be discussed! Ya, lets drop the Speedo thing pretty quickly in life, but shorts? Never! Im 50 and haven't bought a pair of shorts that stops above my knees in 20 years. Classy golf shorts etc look fine. As far as that goes older women look fine in classy shorts also. Veracious veins? Who cares we aren't dressing to impress 20 somethings. If anyone is they will be disappointed no matter what they wear.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #70

I finally had to quit snow skiing after breaking both legs 6 years ago. And I'm now banished from getting over 4' up any ladder since I have no more falls left in my legs.

And when I do manual labor outside on a hot day, 4 hours is my limit.

Otherwise, I'm more active than most other 65 year old men. I try to keep a little click in my step when walking, and avoid walking like a little old man--that I'm not.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I certainly hope you've been to a doctor about the shaking. My wife also had some tremors, and she figured out is was one of her prescriptions. Your problem might be something just as simple.

I have been and will be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month. My PCP and I did discuss my prescriptions and I've pretty much been on the same ones for years, with one exception, and that one I started after the tremors began.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I agree. Who wants to wear long pants when it's 85 degrees and hotter? Anyone who doesn't like to see, can look away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Because it is not a subject that needs to be discussed! Ya, lets drop the Speedo thing pretty quickly in life, but shorts? Never! Im 50 and haven't bought a pair of shorts that stops above my knees in 20 years. Classy golf shorts etc look fine. As far as that goes older women look fine in classy shorts also. Veracious veins? Who cares we aren't dressing to impress 20 somethings. If anyone is they will be disappointed no matter what they wear.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I agree. Who wants to wear long pants when it's 85 degrees and hotter? Anyone who doesn't like to see, can look away.

I'd rather be comfortable than fashionably correct!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Approaching 57 and I can relate to all these things. Two comments I'd like to add:

Several years ago DW & I wanted to get my 86 year old mother a power lift chair. Her doctor was adamantly against it. "Use it or lose it" were the doctors words. If Mom used the power chair she would lose the ability to get up from a regular chair. True words because as soon as she moved into a one level condo with elevator she could no longer go up or down stairs without help!

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I really liked "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge MD. Common sense advice on keeping active, healthy & feeling good. (There is a separate version "Younger Next Year for Women", too).
Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't been able to sit cross-legged ("indian-style") for a couple of decades now. I'm 57. I can get them crossed, but it's getting them uncrossed and straightening the legs afterwards that is the problem.

I know my hearing is going too. (Eyesight was never good even in grade school.)
Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Women probably all remember the first time they realized they could walk into a room without all conversation suddenly stopping whilst they were "appraised" like a piece of meat.
I never had that problem. Being physically unattractive has its advantages!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

And me.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #79

Things I can't do anymore:

Run. At all. Well, I can for a short distance, but my right knee will be in pain for days afterward. That's been that way for 25 years, was the first sign after I had surgery on it.

Mow the entire yard all at once. As recently as last year I could do that. It's about half an acre and I use a self-propelled walk-behind but there are a lot of hills. Now I split it into two days and I'm thinking about making it three.

Climb stairs two at a time. I remember reading that you can tell how old you are by what you take two at a time - stairs or pills. I'm in the latter category. I can still do it but then my knee complains for days.

Someone mentioned drinking a case of beer in one day. I haven't been able (or wanted) to do that for decades.

On the plus side, although I have some heart issues, they're relatively minor, at least for now. I hit the gym three or four times a week and work out for a bit over an hour. The staff has said I work hard at it and may want to slack off a bit. Kinda goes against the grain, but okay... I think.

And DW still thinks I'm the best thing that's ever going to happen to her!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.
+2

and me also