Vaping and Health

Anything that potentially helps folks stop cigarettes is fine by me.
Both of my folks were avid 1.5-2 ppd smokers until the day they died. Mom was on O2 her last few years and still smoked.

Cigarettes or Vaping?

Butter or Margarine ?

Eggs- Bad or Good ?

Answer: Depends on who you ask and what year it is I guess.

:)

Last edited:
I think this is still so new, that the long term effects can't be known. I evaluate things like this in a common sense manner.

Does common sense suggest the inhaling a vapor full of chemicals that I am unfamiliar with a smart decision? Well, not to me.

It wasn't too long ago that cigarettes were advertised with "healthy effects" and people bought this line of BS. For YEARS by Mom and Dad would say cigarettes weren't THAT bad and hey...they had FILTERS! They are both dead now, of COPD.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 17
Anything that potentially helps folks stop cigarettes is fine by me.
Both of my folks were avid 1.5-2 ppd smokers until the day they died. Mom was on O2 her last few years and still smoked.

Keep in mind that for every one person that uses vaping to quit smoking, how many people who never smoked picked up vaping because they don't think it's particularly dangerous.

As a doctor, I've run into a handful of people who have successfully quit smoking with vaping. Of that small group, even fewer have then gone onto quit vaping as well. Most have traded one habit for another, albeit a potentially (key word) safer habit. A much larger number have tried to quit smoking by vaping, and now do both. But the largest group, by far, are teenagers who never smoked, but think vaping is safe, because everybody does it. One in four (25%) teenagers have tried vaping. One in five (20%) have vaped in the last 30 days. Compare that to smoking, where only 8% have ever smoked. Granted this number has been steadily dropping, and some groups have pointed toward vaping as a cause. However, smoking rates have been dropping for many decades before vapes were invented.

Finally, think like an ordinary schlemiel (i.e., me) whose only data is anecdotal observations of people who have successfully used vaping as a means to wean off cigarettes. You might regard it as the lesser of two evils.

Some can see more than just two possibilities here.

Yup, still vaping. Started at 18 mg/ml nicotine, now down to 6 mg/ml.

Quit smoking cigarettes fall of 2014

We will probably find out in a couple decades. In the meantime, it is plusses and minuses like everything else. I'd guess that weed is consumed locally first as edibles.followed closely by vaping.

I am not a fan of vaping. However, I read the link to the American Lung Association article on vaping and didn't find it persuasive at all. It sort of reminds of me of the scare articles I read about marijuana back in the late 60s and early 70s. It says a lot of scary stuff but doesn't really quantify the risk.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2019/03/vaping-smoke-and-mirrors.html

For example, it talks about nicotine being addictive. That is true. But -- if you take nicotine away from the carcinogenic aspects of cigarettes how dangerous is that addiction? Is it -- for example -- really that much more dangerous than, say, a caffeine addiction. Caffeine addictions are really and I have read some scare articles about caffeine. But, most people realize that even though caffeine is addictive it creates a relatively benign form of addiction. I mean, sure, it would be better not to be addicted to caffeine but just how dangerous is it really.

There is just so much in this article that bothered me.

Just as troubling is that many people view these electronic nicotine delivery systems (also referred to as ENDS) as harmless.

I am not sure that matters. The issue is really what actual harm does vaping do and how can you compare that to other things that also cause harm. Eat enough bacon and it causes a lot of harm but most people don't advocate that we outlaw all bacon.

A study in the American Heart Association journal suggests that e-cigarette flavorings may damage blood vessels and the heart. Harmful substances, trace metals, and other toxins have been found in e-cigarettes. All of which can lead to various cancers.

Sounds scary but is not that persuasive. The first sentence uses words like "suggests" and "may." Also may damage blood vessels and the heart. How much damage? What kind of damage? How do you compare that damage to other things that are legal that may damage blood vessels or the heart?

Equally disturbing are two reported deaths and thousands who have been injured or burned because of "vape pen" explosions. Clearly the dangers extend beyond what is being done to the lungs and heart.

How likely are those effects? How often do vape pens explode? I mean, lots of products can explode or malfunction and we don't ban them. We may regulate them in some ways but almost everything can malfunction. My computer could malfunction and catch fire right now as I am typing on it. Should we ban all computers? Are vape pens more dangerous than other consumer products?

Smoking is the leading cause of death and disease in the United States and according to the FDA, teen electronic cigarette use has skyrocketed by nearly 80 percent in the past year. Nearly half a million Americans are dying from its effects each year. Yet it's also preventabl

I think there is a real distinction between smoking cigarettes and vaping that isn't captured here. I personally do think vaping hasn't been sufficiently studied so I don't favor it. But, it seems to be also clear that it is way less dangerous than cigarettes. It sort of reminds me of when people would argue against marijuana by railing against the dangers of heroin....

These liquid pods also contain some of the same toxic chemicals found in smoke from traditional cigarettes, which is, in a word, poison. When tested, aldehydes, traces of metal, and other carcinogens responsible for playing a role in lung and oral cancers were present.

None specific. How much? Lots of things that we ingest in some situations can be toxic if you take enough of it. But, this article hasn't shown that the "poison" in vaping is enough to cause cancer.

These cancer-causing agents reach deep into the lungs, irritating the bronchi and cause an increase in blood pressure, heart rate, as well as compromise adequate flow of blood to the heart and restrict of the arteries.

Again, haven't really quantified this and haven't shown it is enough to be dangerous.

"..... may increase heart rate, body temperature, blood flow to the skin & extremities, blood pressure, blood sugar levels, stomach acid secretion and production of urine (diuretic). People may experience dizziness, hypoglycemia, fruit-like breath odor, troubled breathing, muscle tremors, nausea, diarrhea, increased urine, ketones in urine,drowsiness, thirst, anxiety, confusion, irritability, insomnia, changes in appetite, dry mouth, blurred vision, and cold sweats."

Wow -- vaping must be really awful to cause all of those terrible things. Oops....sorry wrong article. That is a description of the effects of the dreaded caffeine.

Anyway --- I could go on with going through the article but I think I have made my point. This is just a terrible article that seeks to scare people by sounding scientific but doesn't really prove anything.

To be clear -- I don't vape, I don't smoke and I don't plan to start. I am not a fan of vaping. But, much of the negative statements about it amount to guilt by association (association with smoking of tobacco cigarettes).

I am moving ahead slowly, but I just bought an atomizer and a THC:CBD blend. I attended a workshop about vaping yesterday. I learned vaping and atomizing are two different things. The Juul type things are atomizers. The atomizer solution may or may not be a problem. I am still investigating. Actual vaping was designed as a way to transfer medical doses to patients. They can be electronic or not and convert a ground solid to a vapor, which is inhaled. With THC:CBD the temperature determines the actual molecule that is vaporized.

When he was younger, my son secretly picked up vaping to be cool, and blow slow moving smoke rings like the viral videos he had been watching. He would never smoke actual cigarettes, and hates the smell, but caved to peer pressure on vaping.

^^^^This is an easy first step.

I am happy that vaping was available to wean DW off smoking regular cigarettes. She has been vaping for 8 years.

Although I started the thread for general information, I'm including this in an upcoming book:

2UBpHsG.png

This is Louella, a private eye:

The-Oracle-the-matrix-6856144-350-307.jpg

A close friend of mine was smoking 2 packs a day. He quit by vaping and slowly decreasing the % of nicotine. He’s been nicotine free for 7 years but he vapes something. I think he can’t kick the hand to mouth habit... it’s his pacifier. One motivator to quit smoking was the outrageous cost of smoking, he says.

Every time I see a news article on vaping, it looks like fun!

I am not a fan of vaping. However, I read the link to the American Lung Association article on vaping and didn't find it persuasive at all. It sort of reminds of me of the scare articles I read about marijuana back in the late 60s and early 70s. It says a lot of scary stuff but doesn't really quantify the risk.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2019/03/vaping-smoke-and-mirrors.html

For example, it talks about nicotine being addictive. That is true. But -- if you take nicotine away from the carcinogenic aspects of cigarettes how dangerous is that addiction?
I think it has been established that nicotine itself is carcinogenic and has deleterious effects on the cardiovascular system as well as other organs/systems.

More here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846

Anyway, I'd definitely agree that getting a nicotine dose via patches, vaping, gum, etc is preferable to getting it via cigarettes. But nicotine itself is not regarded as safe (aside from the addiction thing). In this respect, it is not like caffeine.

Last edited:
I do not vape. I don't have a problem with people that do vape. I don't have a problem with people dying that vape. At least they are dying doing something that they love.

Does anyone actually think that putting anything in your lungs in a great idea? Cigarettes were known as coffin nails since the 1800s. Vaping is an extension of that.

Tax it, and let the non-vapers reap the rewards.

I had eye surgery this week and during preop I was asked about vaping. I asked about the inquiry and was told the CDC was requesting providers get some idea how prevalent vaping was. Apparently they have no clue.

CDC makes 'breakthrough' in vaping crisis
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc...min-e-oil-as-potential-culprit-182658687.html

As cases of vaping-related illnesses*reach 2,051, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced a “breakthrough” in the search for a cause — the first identified toxicant: vitamin E acetate.
The news comes in a study released Friday in the*Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, which analyzed fluid from the lungs of 29 patients with e-cigarette or*vaping product use associated lung injury (EVALI) in 10 different states. While the majority of those analyzed tested positive for either THC (82 percent) or nicotine (61 percent), the only substance to be “universally detected” in every sample was vitamin E acetate.

Back
Top Bottom