Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 18.5 to 24.9 (ideal)

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • 25 to 29.9 (overweight)

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • > 30 (obese)

Votes: 19 16.2%

• Total voters
22.5 now. 6 years back I was 27.3, went on a program and lost 40 lbs over 6 months. So far have managed to keep most of it off. The thing I noticed immediately was the improvement in blood work from the annual physicals (cholestrol and Tryglycerides in particular), plus BP came down quickly to normal. (it was a marginal BP reading that finally trigered by action to lose weight and exercise).

The article says that better treatment these days is the main factor for lower death rate of overweight people. It also goes on to list a load of other non-fatal health issues linked to being overweight. My father is 82, started on blood pressure medication 2 years ago but otherwise is pretty fit and has never been sick or missed a day's work through sickness in his life. He was an underground coal miner for 41 years and has smoked like a chimney since he was 14 - he says it is the smoking that keeps him healthy. However he has always been very thin and has out lived his 2 obese brothers by 10 years and counting.

Like all health factors it varies tremendously and you'll always get plenty of exceptions, plus physical appearances can be deceptive, you need to look at a lot more factors than just BMI.

6'0" 183lbs BMI 24.8 (one Big Mac from overweight)
I'm the same. Can't say I have a six pack but most people think of me as slim. I don't see how anyone could call a pound or two more a transition beyond "normal." Maybe a transition beyond ideal.

So, dripping wet and no shoes, what's your BMI?

Thanks Rich, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I haven't been able to get on again but was able to today. Not good that I am listed in the obese section just before eating a Thanksgiving Day meal:rant:. I only feel heavy around the waist and this is another wake up call to do something about it. I look around when we go out and can't believe how we are all getting heavier and heavier. Have a great day, Talk to you soon, Jerry

Thanks Rich, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I haven't been able to get on again but was able to today. Not good that I am listed in the obese section just before eating a Thanksgiving Day meal:rant:. I only feel heavy around the waist and this is another wake up call to do something about it. I look around when we go out and can't believe how we are all getting heavier and heavier. Have a great day, Talk to you soon, Jerry

Ditto, Happy Thanksgiving Rich, thanks for starting this thread. Interesting posts with lots of denials including claims that we haven't been so thin as nation since post WW II when we were all short of food. (yeah, right) Try looking at footage from the affluent 60's to see what the norms were then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom