ER'ed traveler, economist obituary

kramer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
- The Washington Post

Go to the link to read the complete story.

Alexander L. Morton, transportation economist, dies at 70

By Bart Barnes, Published: November 14

Alexander L. Morton, a Harvard-trained transportation economist who one day gave up his career for what he called a “joyous but chaotic” life of travel and ad*ven*ture, died Oct. 12 at his home in Washington. He was 70.

He died of a brain tumor, said his sister, Janice M. Berger.

At 42, Mr. Morton was well on pace in the ascension of his chosen career ladder. He had a doctorate in economics from Harvard, had taught at the Harvard Business School and was finishing a four-year assignment as director the office of policy and analysis at the Interstate Commerce Commission.

He then quit.

He had made enough money in real estate deals and investments to guarantee an independent income for himself. For his remaining 28 years, he was almost constantly on the move, visiting dozens of countries and often going off the expected paths from Western travelers.

On bicycle, he pedaled the length of the four main islands of Japan. He hiked in the Himalayan mountains, explored the game preserves of Africa, followed the headwaters of the Mekong River into Vietnam, climbed Mount Sinai at dawn and rode a train from Moscow to Beijing. On the spur of the moment, he once set out to climb Mont Blanc in the Alps, and he reached the summit wearing only sneakers as footgear.

On his far-flung journeys, Dr. Morton rarely had a fixed itinerary, according to a traveling companion, John Harbert, a physician who taught at Georgetown University Medical School and served at the National Institutes of Health.

Yet another person I regret I never met.

Kramer, I have been anxious about your honorable self. Glad to learn you are still with us.
Still here and kicking! The areas affected in the Philippines are the poorest hinterlands. Even in the best of times, they are very poor and not well connected to the power grid or communications. Many of the folks from those areas come here (near Manila) to work and send money home to their families. Many have still not been able to contact their families -- even now, 9 days later. For many others, their family homes are destroyed. Americans should know that the US military has been absolutely instrumental in saving multitudes of people.

Still here and kicking! The areas affected in the Philippines are the poorest hinterlands. Even in the best of times, they are very poor and not well connected to the power grid or communications. Many of the folks from those areas come here (near Manila) to work and send money home to their families. Many have still not been able to contact their families -- even now, 9 days later. For many others, their family homes are destroyed. Americans should know that the US military has been absolutely instrumental in saving multitudes of people.
Awful event. I am glad that you are safe, and that our military can help.

Ha

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this, Kramer, and the news of your being okay.

I could only hope to have such stories at the end of my life.

Very glad that you are okay and thanks for sharing about the military. I am so glad that they are able to help people.

Americans should know that the US military has been absolutely instrumental in saving multitudes of people.

Good to know that not all tax money is being wasted and does good things for people who desperately need it.

And to be part of the crews extending the helping hand, that's always a good place to be too.

Good to know that not all tax money is being wasted and does good things for people who desperately need it. And to be part of the crews extending the helping hand, that's always a good place to be too.

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but our tax money does a lot of good things, here and around the world.

Good to know that not all tax money is being wasted and does good things for people who desperately need it.

And to be part of the crews extending the helping hand, that's always a good place to be too.

I am proposing a new.ER Forum acronymn - HYKGOML - "hey you kids get off my lawn" for when we feel the need to be sort of crabby for no good reason

USAF C-17 transport yesterday from Tacloban, Leyte to Manila. 675 passengers

Attachments

• tacloban.jpg
    tacloban.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
I am proposing a new.ER Forum acronymn - HYKGOML - "hey you kids get off my lawn" for when we feel the need to be sort of crabby for no good reason

Can I get that in a medium? :p

Hey, but often we DO have a reason to be crabby!

I was in the Navy in the 80's and several times the carrier I was on picked up Vietnamese boat people. They were desperate to escape and it was a great feeling to be able to do something for them. The looks of enjoyment and gratitude they had getting some "Navy" grub and some cruise clothing was amazing. Sure made me feel that we were doing some good.

Back
Top Bottom