Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallman4123 View Post
My understanding is that while having Global Entry makes you automatically eligible for TSA pre-check, it does not guarantee that you will receive it every time. We have Global Entry and travel domestically quite often and have been selected for pre-check almost every single time, but there have been a handful of times where we were not selected. We were appropriately outraged.
Your airline also has to be part of the program.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hah - my 1 hour time though customs was at IAH with passport control kiosks. It was terrible!

That was my third time through customs there, and by far the worst.

I think there were just so many international flights arriving at the same time.

There was a TSA Precheck for returning through security. I can't say it moved any faster, but at least we didn't have to take off stuff and unpack stuff.
Entry into IAH international is exactly why what we signed up for GOES a couple of years ago and we think it is well worth the money. Once we had our known traveler number entered into the various airline systems that we fly we've always had TSA pre-check when flying.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Just came back through LAX last week, everyone (US Citizens) now use an Entry Kiosk to scan their passport, take a photo/fingerprints, and answer a few questions. You do still have to see a customs agent after using the kiosk but it did seem to go faster then in the past. Got through to the baggage area in about 20 minutes.
DW and I are truly not good at waiting. Seeing a 20 minute delay getting to baggage would make us say "darn, yet another trip that paid for Global entry all by itself."

Here, more than anywhere else perhaps, YMMV!
Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
DW and I are truly not good at waiting. Seeing a 20 minute delay getting to baggage would make us say "darn, yet another trip that paid for Global entry all by itself."
What do you do when you get to the baggage area? Unless you have carry on only you're probably standing around waiting for your luggage to show up. It would be very rare in my experience for luggage to show up on the carousel in under 20 minutes for international flights.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
What do you do when you get to the baggage area? Unless you have carry on only you're probably standing around waiting for your luggage to show up. It would be very rare in my experience for luggage to show up on the carousel in under 20 minutes for international flights.
Even if you have to wait for your bags, there is often an even bigger line to get out of customs with your bags which can be bypassed with the pass.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I signed up for GOES two years ago and love it. We had a trip scheduled through Houston with a four hour layover so we scheduled our appointment for there at the airport. Easy, in and out in 40 minutes for both of us. It makes traveling so much easier. And we do bet the Pre-Chek most of the time but not always. I asked a TSA agent about it and they said they will randomly not assign it just as a check on you and the system.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #27

I have never applied for Pre Check or Global Entry, but I am Pre-Check virtually all the time when I fly, and have had no unusual delays at customs. I am a somewhat frequent business traveller. Maybe that is enough.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have never applied for Pre Check or Global Entry, but I am Pre-Check virtually all the time when I fly, and have had no unusual delays at customs. I am a somewhat frequent business traveller. Maybe that is enough.
TSA is telling airlines to tell their customers to get the TSA pre-check status, so you may see less of this privilege.

No "unusual" delays at customs - you've been lucky. Although I'm sure it depends on your arrival airport.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #29

DW and I completed our interviews today in Seattle. We live on the other side of state so scheduled the interview to match up our return from a trip to Australia. Had to wait a bit pass our appointment but they took us together. Not sure it was a real time saver as each of us had to answer the same questions and get fingerprinted. Turns out DW career in paper handling has scrubbed her prints so their low tech print reader could not get a good read. Agent said it "happens all the time" so she will get an X on her printout and will still have to have a GOES entry person verify it is her(but suppose to be a short line - :-) )
Regarding earlier discussions about NEXUS and GOES. learned you can use the NEXUS lanes to US as long as everyone in car has GOES card. Also, you can only use on rentry to USA (Nexus includes a Canadian govt clearance), but mot going to Canada.
Nwsteve
Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #30

We applied yesterday. Any idea how long it takes to get through the initial background check? Did you get an email asking to schedule the interview? Tx.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Turns out DW career in paper handling has scrubbed her prints so their low tech print reader could not get a good read. Agent said it "happens all the time" so she will get an X on her printout and will still have to have a GOES entry person verify it is her(but suppose to be a short line - :-) )
If she ever has to do the electronic fingerprints again, have her put lotion on her hands about 5 minutes before. Supposedly this plumps them up enough for the machine to read them.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
We applied yesterday. Any idea how long it takes to get through the initial background check? Did you get an email asking to schedule the interview? Tx.
I guess it depends. When we did it, we each had the initial approval within 24 hours. Homeland Security had previously done a background check on me for a federal security clearance though, so that might have helped.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I did it on Saturday, and haven't gotten the Conditional Approval yet. I've read 3 to 5 days from posts late 2015 and 2016. Some though take weeks. Very hard to predict.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #34

They ask that we check status regularly. How hard would it be for them to send an email?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They ask that we check status regularly. How hard would it be for them to send an email?
It IS the US Government we're talking here......
Old 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's a very good reason to check frequently. People cancel and you can see new appointments when they open up, so you can change yours to an earlier, more convenient day/time.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There's a very good reason to check frequently. People cancel and you can see new appointments when they open up, so you can change yours to an earlier, more convenient day/time.
I know that's the theory, but I did check several times during the two month wait for an appointment - there was never an available spot. Maybe in busier airports - we're not a mega-airport in San Antonio!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some folks report getting an email.

The site says to check back regularly.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
He's talking about being notified of the conditional approval. I'm still waiting.

Hey, hey! I just checked! I'm conditionally approved!

That makes it the end of the 3rd business day after signing up over the weekend. Didn't get an email (yet).
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

OMG - I was able to make an appointment at the closest office for tomorrow morning!!!!!